Log in

View Full Version : Udall, Bennet urge retaining Constellation program



Ridge
04-13-2010, 17:46
Saw this in the Post today at work...


COLORADO SPRINGS — Members of Colorado's congressional delegation urged NASA Administrator Charles Bolden to re-evaluate the proposed cancellation of the Constellation program.

Sens. Mark Udall and Michael Bennet met with Bolden in Washington on Monday as the National Space Symposium — a global gathering of space officials — began in Colorado Springs.

Colorado could lose several thousand jobs and an estimated $300 million in revenues annually if the Constellation program — which aims to return humans to the moon and beyond — is canceled as proposed in the fiscal 2011 budget, according to a recent economic-development study.

Udall and Bennet presented a letter for Bolden to give to President Barack Obama, who proposed the phasing out of Constellation in favor of development of commercial spaceflight.

The letter supports the budget's new investments in technology and research but questions job losses and turning human spaceflight over to unproven commercial concerns.

Udall said he is "guardedly optimistic" after Bolden's comments that he is committed to human spaceflight and to being flexible in working with Congress as the $19 billion National Aeronautics and Space Administration budget is debated.

Lockheed Martin Space Systems, based in south Jefferson County, is the prime contractor for the Orion crew vehicle, a key Constellation component.

Bennet "strongly disagrees" with ending Constellation with high-paying Colorado aerospace jobs hanging in the balance, a spokesman said.

Udall and Bennet said they are open to restructuring the program, with Udall adding, "so some Orionlike effort could move forward."

Both senators pressed Bolden on keeping jobs and maintaining leadership in space and national security.

Bolden "understood the importance of these jobs to Colorado," Udall said, and he urged the senators to wait until Obama explains more of his vision for NASA in a "space conference" Thursday in Florida.

Udall said he agreed with Bolden that NASA's approach to human spaceflight is "financially unsustainable" but asked for a clearer strategy.

Rep. Ed Perlmutter, D-Colo., sent a letter late last week to Bolden supporting Orion, noting the capsule has met deadlines, unlike the launch vehicle.

In a statement Monday, Gov. Bill Ritter said: "To abruptly change direction like this will lead to significant dislocation and distress at a precarious time for the economies of our nation and state."

Ann Schrader: 303-954-1967 or aschrader@denverpost.com

If you are so concerned about the jobs and the program, then how about you go complain to your leader, the Great and Powerful O, since he is the one who wants it scrapped.

Marlin
04-13-2010, 18:21
[ROFL1]




Sorry,,laughing at the fact they just don't get it... It was the the greatest thing ever till it hit home.. Eh boys?

GreenScoutII
04-13-2010, 20:15
Most of the time I'm against increased government spending, but space exploration is one area where if anything it should be increased. This is something absolutely vital to not just the future of the US, but of mankind as a whole.

It figures, the one area where Obama wants to cut spending is one that is probably most important long term.

ronaldrwl
04-13-2010, 20:36
Surprise, surprise, going to cut a lot more to pay for all the give-a-ways.

claimbuster
04-13-2010, 23:27
and then they weren't too worried until they got thinking about November.

theGinsue
04-13-2010, 23:41
[ROFL1]




Sorry,,laughing at the fact they just don't get it... It was the the greatest thing ever till it hit home.. Eh boys?
Sure, they had that "it won't hurt me" mentality. They failed to consider that it could adversely effect their constituency - which will certainly have an adverse effect on their re-election chances. Now, they want to scramble.

Representative "Perlmutter"; eh? My gosh, that's straight out of Atlas Shrugged.

Ridge
04-15-2010, 16:36
Space Zombies! It lives!!!


Obama revives capsule from canceled program (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36484353/ns/technology_and_science-space/)

Modified Orion vehicle and heavy-lift rocket on the way, officials say

WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama is reviving the NASA crew capsule concept that he had canceled with the rest of the moon program earlier this year, in a move that will mean more jobs and less reliance on the Russians, officials said Tuesday.

The space capsule, called Orion, still won't go to the moon. It will go unmanned to the International Space Station to stand by as an emergency vehicle to return astronauts home, officials told The Associated Press.

Administration officials also said NASA will speed up development of a massive rocket. It would have the power to blast crew and cargo far from Earth, although no destination has been chosen yet. The rocket would be ready to launch several years earlier than under the old moon plan.

Officials pointed out that Obama's budget plans would boost NASA spending by $6 billion over the next five years, potentially creating 2,500 jobs in Florida. "This new strategy means more money for NASA, more jobs for the country, more astronaut time in space and more investments in innovation," Reuters quoted a senior White House official as saying.

Tuesday's announcements were made in advance of Obama's visit to NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida on Thursday. They are designed to counter criticism of the Obama administration's space plans as being low on detail, physical hardware and local jobs. The most prominent critic is Apollo 11 commander Neil Armstrong, who said the White House's space policy would be "devastating" in a letter obtained exclusively by NBC News.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity so as not to detract from Obama's policy speech on Thursday.

The president killed President George W. Bush's moon mission, called Constellation, as being unsustainable. In a major shift, the Obama space plan relies on private companies to fly to the space station. But it also extends the space station's life by five years and puts billions into research to eventually develop new government rocketships for future missions to a nearby asteroid, the moon, Martian moons or other points in space. Those stops would be stepping stones on an eventual mission to Mars.

Veteran Apollo astronauts and former senior NASA managers have been attacking the Obama plan — before the latest revision — as the death of U.S. leadership in space. More than two dozen Apollo-era veterans signed a letter calling the plan a "misguided proposal that forces NASA out of human space operations for the foreseeable future."

Even with the revival of the Orion crew capsule, the overall moon return mission initiated by Bush — which involved a base camp — remains dead. And the revived Orion, slimmed-down from earlier versions, won't be used as originally intended, to land on the moon.

The capsule will be developed and launched — unmanned — on an existing rocket to the space station, one senior NASA official told The Associated Press. The Orion would remain at the space station and be used as an emergency escape ship back to Earth. That would mean NASA wouldn't have to rely on the Russian Soyuz capsule to return astronauts to Earth.

Launching Orion on unmanned existing rockets — such as Atlas or Deltas — would save money and time.

The Obama plan also will speed up development of a larger heavy-lift rocket that would take cargo and crew away from Earth orbit to the moon, asteroids and other places.

In his budget proposal, Obama said NASA would spend billions of dollars on various research programs to eventually develop breakthroughs to make such trips cheaper and faster. NASA Administrator Charles Bolden said that elements of the Constellation program, including the Orion vehicle and the heavy-lift rocket development effort, might be incorporated into the space agency's new approach. But critics called for more specifics on NASA's development plans.

Now the president is committed to choosing a single heavy-lift rocket design by 2015 and then starting its construction, officials said.

This commitment means NASA would launch a heavy rocket years before it was supposed to under the old Constellation plan, the officials said. However, it will be different from the Apollo-like Ares V rocket that the Constellation plan would have used. Instead it will incorporate newer concepts such as refueling in orbit or using inflatable habitats.

Overall, the Obama program will mean 2,500 more Florida jobs than the old Bush program, White House officials said. Reuters reported that Obama would dedicate $40 million of the funds requested for the Constellation transition to transform the regional economy around NASA's Florida facilities and prepare its workforce for the opportunities ahead.

Also on Tuesday, the commercial space industry released a study that said the president's plan for private ships to fly astronauts to and from the space station would result in 11,800 jobs.

The continuation of the Orion and heavy-lift programs was portrayed as a strategy to keep NASA on a stable course toward the development of new space vehicles. "We wanted to take the best of what was available from Constellation," a NASA official told AP as part of a White House briefing.

funkfool
04-15-2010, 17:21
They came for my buddies beer and I said nothing....


It never hurts them till it IS them.
BO can do no wrong till... hey wait.. he means to cut OUR stuff?
[Rant2]