PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy an AK

franktown99
09-09-2010, 08:58
I am looking to buy my first AK and was hoping for some pointers on what to look for and what to stay away from as well as what price range I'll be looking at. I would like something top of the line or as close as my budget will allow and hanve seen AK's any where from 350-1000. Thanks

rammit
09-09-2010, 11:30
Russian and us made are regarded as top of the line, alot of the cheaper aks have horrible triggers and trigger slap when the bolt comes back to reset the hammer, but like ar's there are thousands of accesories for aks, I have the g2 trigger set from tapco and it lightens the trigger pull and resolves the trigger slap issue. With some of the cheaper wasr's you might have some quality control issues like a canted front sight post, my wasr does not but I have heard that alot do. You can find a nice arsenal ak for 700 or a wasr in the 400$ range. They will all eat the cheapest ammo you can throw at them, and dead simple in operation.

TennVol
09-09-2010, 11:42
I currently have five AKs:
2 - Saiga/Arsenal SGL-21
1 - Norinco MAK 90
1 - Yugo M70
1 - kit gun built on a Nodak Spud receiver.

All of them are extremely reliable & fun weapons. I paid a bit more for my Saiga's than the other three, but they aren't that much better (IMHO) than the others.

Three of my guns have folding stocks (two underfolder and one sidefolder). If you are thinking about a folding stock, try to shoot one prior to purchasing. They are extremely compact (and a high "cool factor"), but I shoot my fixed stock rifles more accurately (much better cheek weld) than my folders.

86k10
09-09-2010, 17:16
my preference is for factory arsenal built barreled receivers, like a mak90 debanned, Bulgarian milled models, arsenal sgl 21 or slr107f, Hungarian thumbhole models. they are built to factory specs. some US rebuilt are kind of junk, some are good. my best AK is a Arsenal slr107f. sidefolding stock but just as good as a solid stock, good check weld and great quality.

this is the one i got from k-var. i replaced the metal sidefolder for a poly one.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=17056&cat=357&page=1

franktown99
09-10-2010, 13:46
Thanks for all the helpful input I now have something from a reliable source to go off of Thanks

brianakell
09-11-2010, 13:34
What would you say a production receivered, fixed stock, new us barrel, tapco trigger group, tapco brake, non matching numbers, romy parts, would be worth?

Wood could use refinishing, whole gun should be painted. 500? 400?

TennVol
09-11-2010, 19:10
You can buy a NIB WASR for under $400.

.........Not sure how your rifle stacks up to the WASR.

ERNO
09-14-2010, 14:19
The ones from Arsenal look good,though I don't own one.I have a Krebs Custom KTR-O3S Saiga;one of the early one's,which I bought for a grand.The newer model looks better,but runs around $1200,from R Guns.I don't like the A-2 muzzle brake which is on mine, which needs to be in a straight up and down position.I plan to call Mr.Krebs so I can find a proper threaded brake so that the top can be turned to the 1 o' clock position;which helps the gun from torqueing to the left when firing,as you notice on standard AK "slanted muzzle brakes".This 1 o' clock position should be done also for AR-15's as well for righthanded shooters as told by Jerry Miculek's AR-15 dvd from BROWNELLS.

gcrookston
09-16-2010, 14:32
I have both an Arsenal 107 and a PolyTech 84S. I've had a Wasr. Next to the Russian I consider the Bulgarian (Arsenal) and the Chinese (PolyTech), to share the top-quality positions. I've seen some pretty cruddy builds come out of Century which reinforces their reputation for crap. There are good and not so good American assemblers and you have to really do your research.

Wizard66
09-17-2010, 15:35
Take a look at the Hungarian AK I have up for sale on the Forum.....It is about as top end as you can get and very rare.....

garette35
09-19-2010, 21:53
I have loved every Norinco I have had and if you can find one get an 84-s you won't regret it. I bought mine for about $650 (that was a while ago though).

ERNO
09-20-2010, 12:42
I just read about another American made ak-47 in the latest Gun Digest mag,from Midwest Tactical,with stainless bolt & carrier and a stained Birchwood stock. Price:$950.00.Looks good to me.

runoma
09-20-2010, 21:53
Norinco NHM-90 (16" barrel). Before the ban(s) these were the 56S-1 with an underfolder stock. I have an underfolder stock for it but, it is not mounted. It currently has the fixed wood stock. Comes with 3 30 rd. mags. & 225 rds. Wolf 124gr HP. Will send pictures on request. PM sent with more info.

micah360
09-21-2010, 10:25
I just read about another American made ak-47 in the latest Gun Digest mag,from Midwest Tactical,with stainless bolt & carrier and a stained Birchwood stock. Price:$950.00.Looks good to me.

wow... that's pricey for an American made AK!

86k10
09-21-2010, 16:30

where did you find this? i have googled it but only come up with MI handguards. can you post a link?

jmg8550
09-21-2010, 17:58
Century Arms International is also making AK's in house now. Check them out too.

relichunter
10-19-2010, 22:21
I currently have and like the following AK style rifles:

VZ58 (parts are not interchangeable with AKs though)
MAK90
MAADI

I've had 4 wasrs and 2 g series romanian. The only one with really bad trigger slap was the g series kit built. The wasrs felt cheap but functioned fairly well.

The best AK I've ever had was a milled arsenal but they are very pricey now.

I guess my feeling is that the best AK is the one you own right now.