Close
Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 38434445464748

Thread: Workout

Pickles; the Camel Kisser Irving's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As far as trying to avoid carbs, where do rice and pasta stand relative to each other? I could do either or, and don't care about bread.
    "In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends." -John Churton Collins

Quote Originally Posted by Irving View Post
    As far as trying to avoid carbs, where do rice and pasta stand relative to each other? I could do either or, and don't care about bread.
    Well they are both carbs, your brown rice and whole grain/wheat pastas are going to be better than their white counterparts, and the brown rice even better than the wheat pasta, as the pasta is still a processed food item.

Pickles; the Camel Kisser Irving's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks, I had assumed they'd be about the same, but wasn't sure if/how the starchiness of rice would play a part. Bummer.
    "In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends." -John Churton Collins

Quote Originally Posted by hurley842002 View Post
    After hitting plateaus on a couple of my favorite workouts, I've decided to get back to basics, and do the "5x5 Stronglifts" program, which consists of:

Workout A:
    Squats 5x5
    Barbell bench press 5x5
    Barbell row 5x5

Workout B:
    Squats 5x5
    Barbell overhead press 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5 (although I did 5x5 on this)

You do this three times a week alternating between workout A twice a week with B in the middle, and vice versa, with a day off in between each lift day. The key to this program is increasing the weight of each lift by 5lbs each time you do it. After my first week, I'm excited to see progress. I've still been running 3-4 miles every day, and don't plan on stopping that.
    I did Starting Strength for a long time, main difference being 3x5 vs 5x5. You may find it's easier to continue a linear progression with 2 less working sets.

Quote Originally Posted by blacklabel View Post
    I did Starting Strength for a long time, main difference being 3x5 vs 5x5. You may find it's easier to continue a linear progression with 2 less working sets.
    The program actually recommends dropping to a 3x5 if you stop progressing on the 5x5.

As an update I'll do my 13th workout with the program tomorrow, and so far I've gained about 6-8 lbs (upped my calorie intake quite a bit), my waistline has stayed the same, and I've noticed I'm much stronger on body weight exercises like dips and pull-ups, despite those not being a primary focus, I've also successfully increased every lift by 5lbs, hopefully not slowing down anytime soon.