Close
Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33383940414243
    Blog Entries

I miss my dirt bikes. Sort of.

I donít miss loading bikes and gear in the truck, driving somewhere, unloading everything, riding, loading everything back up and driving home, unloading everything, cleaning things up and putting them away. Too much moving stuff around just to ride.

"I'm working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect."- Doug Sanders

My Feedback

I have a KLR-650. Note any enduro is going to cost a lot of time in maintenance unless you are taking it to a shop (shouldn't be doing that... $)

But, you can daily driver it for 55MPG if you want, to help justify the line item unlike other enduros, they do just fine on the interstate and passes. 85mph is maintainable on the interstate, 65mph on the steepest part of the interstate/hwy passes. I've been all over Colorado, 500 mile days several times, and even did a one day ride - straight, non stop - to San Diego, CA. (~900 miles) just pulling off of the interstate on direct truck stops to get gas, of course.

Now, trail riding they will go most anywhere a car/suv could, but they are heavy sons of bitches so the "jack of all trades, master of none" comes into play. You're not going to go motoring around like dirtbike riders without dying quickly, but trail riding is a cinch, and you can go places autos can't, at least. You can also sort-a ride with other dirt-bikes if they are doing trail riding. No jumping or badlands hill climbing though! Riding with ATV's always sucks over here because those idgits like rocks, rocks, and more rocks, hey lets go down this road that's nothing but rocks.

The nice thing of an enduro this large is you don't have to load it/unload it, and you probably wouldn't want to anyway...

PS: You can also ride double on a KLR. Although, everytime something has gone wrong it seems like I've been double. (Oil plug ripped off, flat rear tire, wheel bearings out, three separate occasions).

Smaller enduros, if you want to go anywhere outside the region, you have to do the load/unload thing. Anyway, just my experience! I'm not a heavy rider anymore, but used to be a four seasons with literal tire chains available even for snow.

I ride my smaller enduro to the trail unless Iím bringing a friend, then we load. 3-400 mile days happen all the time and Iíve camped off the bike as well.

The Sherpa is a Kawasaki XT. Same-same. If itís gotta be dual sport and 250

Kawasaki KLX250
    Honda CRF250L (and rally)
    Yamaha WR250R
    KTM EXC250F
    Beta 125RR-S (more power than the XT)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The people lived in fear of reprisal from their leaders, children cried themselves to sleep, all hope was lost... and then there was a whale.

www.bugoutwhale.com

SSDG

Everyone likes to tell me "you're too old for that bike." I just smile and say, "I know!"

20180620-cropped.jpg

Witness Protection Reject rondog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
    I miss my dirt bikes. Sort of.

I don’t miss loading bikes and gear in the truck, driving somewhere, unloading everything, riding, loading everything back up and driving home, unloading everything, cleaning things up and putting them away. Too much moving stuff around just to ride.
    Sounds kinda like going shooting.....
    There's a lot more of us ugly mf'ers out here than there are of you pretty people!

- Frank Zappa

Scrotum Diem - bag the day!