Close
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516
Results 151 to 160 of 160

Thread: M1 Garands?

  1. #151
    High Power Shooter
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Colo. Springs
    Posts
    786

    Default

    The GI Garand tools are not needed. Just get a good aluminum cleaning rod and a toothbrush for the bolt face. Enjoy the M1 when you get it.

  2. #152
    Machine Gunner DenverGP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    1,155

    Default

    Two little gadgets I use when cleaning mine:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XJ4NCVZ
    https://www.amazon.com/Garand-Receiv.../dp/B01BFW1XCU

    The rod guide is important because you have to clean from the muzzle end, so protecting the muzzle is important.
    For quick cleaning I use a bore snake, but occasionally the cleaning rod from the muzzle is needed.
    'The Second Amendment does not exist to protect the right to bear downpillows and foam baseball bats.' - Judge Benitez , 2019, Duncan v. Becerra.

    'As of oligarchy so of tyranny . . . Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms' Aristotle - Politics Book V

    'One of the ordinary modes by which Tyrants accomplish their purpose without resistance is by disarming the people and making it an offense to keep arms.' Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840.

  3. #153
    Needs a life wctriumph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fort Collins
    Posts
    5,111

    Default

    Congrats, enjoy it!
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
    George S. Patton

    "A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
    Dwight D. Eisenhower

    "Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth."
    John F. Kennedy

    ?A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment, and is designed for the special use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics.?
    George Fitch. c 1916.

  4. #154
    Machine Gunner Hummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    North of Ward in Subaru County
    Posts
    1,200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KestrelBike View Post
    Thanks, and Ah ok, cool. It's the same as www.ammogarand.com it looks like, just their Ebay front. I'll order direct from the website, I think. Going to get one of the 6-clip bandoleers & a set of 10 clips.

    eta: Are there any "must have" tools I should get? Gas block wrenches, or such?


    I have a number of bandoleers and it isn't exactly quick and easy to pull a loaded clip from them because of the retention flap. Much more useful is a ten-pocket Garand belt like these. A quick un-snap and pull does it. Very handy.


    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1085570

    https://www.amazon.com/Garand-Spring.../dp/B00NY9Z5R2

    So far, so good....

  5. #155
    Machine Gunner KestrelBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    DC Metro, VA
    Posts
    2,339

    Default

    Thanks all.

    Bleh. USPS tracking of my order forms packet:

    March 16, 2019, 9:53 am
    Delivery Attempted - No Access to Delivery Location
    ANNISTON, AL 36207
    We attempted to deliver your package at 9:53 am on March 16, 2019 in ANNISTON, AL 36207 but could not access the delivery location. We will redeliver on the next business day.

    What the hell >: \ CMP South is supposed to be open 8:00am - 3:00pm on Saturday (today, Mar 16). I'm in the same time-zone. CMP isn't open again until Thursday... who knows if they accept mail Mon - Wed, that'd be pretty annoying if the priority mail envelope gets returned to me by the USPS for failure of delivery.

    ETA: Yessss delivery accepted yesterday (monday) at noon'ish. Come to me, sweet M-1.....

    Quote Originally Posted by 10x View Post
    The GI Garand tools are not needed. Just get a good aluminum cleaning rod and a toothbrush for the bolt face. Enjoy the M1 when you get it.
    Sounds good!

    Quote Originally Posted by DenverGP View Post
    Two little gadgets I use when cleaning mine:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XJ4NCVZ
    https://www.amazon.com/Garand-Receiv.../dp/B01BFW1XCU


    The rod guide is important because you have to clean from the muzzle end, so protecting the muzzle is important.
    For quick cleaning I use a bore snake, but occasionally the cleaning rod from the muzzle is needed.
    Definitely picking these up, links are much appreciated!

    Quote Originally Posted by Hummer View Post
    I have a number of bandoleers and it isn't exactly quick and easy to pull a loaded clip from them because of the retention flap. Much more useful is a ten-pocket Garand belt like these. A quick un-snap and pull does it. Very handy.




    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1085570


    https://www.amazon.com/Garand-Spring.../dp/B00NY9Z5R2
    Ah good information. I'm going to try out the cloth bandoleer- understood about the retention issues, but I'm used to that. I'll keep that other belt in mind, though. Thanks!
    Last edited by KestrelBike; 03-19-2019 at 03:46.

  6. #156
    CO-AR15 Oldest of the Old Guys BlasterBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The RUST Belt (Peoria, Illinois)
    Posts
    5,018

    Default

    Anyone here recently ordered a Garand from CMP? Saw pictures of one of the recent ones (most of which have been pretty nice lately) and it looked like someone took a leak on the receiver/rear sight and put it away in that condition many years ago.

  7. #157
    Looking Elsewhere def90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Posts
    1,795

    Default

    What grade was it? Havent seen any myself lately but plan on buying another one this summer.

  8. #158
    CO-AR15 Oldest of the Old Guys BlasterBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The RUST Belt (Peoria, Illinois)
    Posts
    5,018

    Default

    New owner indicated this Garand was a FIELD grade and thought it came from the Phillipines.
    Last edited by BlasterBob; 04-10-2019 at 16:03.

  9. #159
    SSDG boxy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    The border of Boulder and CO
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlasterBob View Post
    Anyone here recently ordered a Garand from CMP? Saw pictures of one of the recent ones (most of which have been pretty nice lately) and it looked like someone took a leak on the receiver/rear sight and put it away in that condition many years ago.
    My service grade should be coming in this week, I can update you.

  10. #160
    CO-AR15 Oldest of the Old Guys BlasterBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The RUST Belt (Peoria, Illinois)
    Posts
    5,018

    Default

    Looking forward to that update. It has been reported that SERVICE grades have been quite nice lately. Hoping for the best for you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •