Close
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 510111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: M1 Garands?

Its a Springfield. I like Varget and 4895. I typically do 147 grain or 150 grain bullets depending on what I can find.

High Power Shooter

NM sights make a big difference for targets. The NM rears are very small for rapid target acquisition or hunting. I have several 595 and 520 rear apertures sitting around. I've put an EER scope on one of my M1s to help with old eyes.
    Last edited by 10x; 01-28-2019 at 15:11.

High Power Shooter

4895 is a very good choice for 150grain bullets.

This thread inspired me to pull my Garand out of the safe this week.

I have a darker stock which is a bit on the beat up side. Lots of dark oil stains and dings. This is a Korean War era Springfield. Would I ruin it if I did some mild restoration work? I don’t want to sand it down like crazy. Just degrease it in hot water, knock the grain back down and restain it. I watched this video series and this guy seemed to know what he was doing: https://youtu.be/VMl2Ik_-NXM

High Power Shooter

Most i would do is steam the dings with a wet cloth and iron. These rifles need the character of dark wood and a few dings.

Or, for not too much money, purchase a full stock set with metal from the CMP. I paid $149 for mine, it fit perfectly and looks good. My M1 is not really a "collectible" as it has an import mark on it, bought it over 30 years ago for $185 plus the stock set some 10 years ago. I tried the Boyd's stock and did not like the over size feeling. Then CMP stock is walnut, the metal was like new, I love it.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
    George S. Patton

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
    Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth."
    John F. Kennedy

?A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment, and is designed for the special use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics.?
    George Fitch. c 1916.

I am joining the Garand club!! Last weekend I got married. For a wedding gift, my beautiful bride is getting me an M1 (she knew I would like a gun as a gift, because it's something that will always be useful and not lose value). I gave her various options/ideas, and she wanted to purchase me a Garand. We sent the paperwork in today for a CMP Special .30-06 with new-production wood/barrel. I figure I want this to be a shooter and enjoy the history of the weapon that way, rather then get something of dubious pedigree that will either A) cost $$$$ or B) be very worn out or even C) be so collectible it'd just sit in a safe.

Question: Where's the go-to for good clips? I'm ordering some Prvi Partizani M1 Garand ammo at $0.59/rd (200rds for $117.90 before S&H) from SGAmmo, which should be great for plinking.

I'm the OPie of this thread Irving's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Congratulations all around
    Minimize, minimize, minimize.

Congrats on the wedding, and on the garand. Love my CMP special.

Quote Originally Posted by KestrelBike View Post
    Question: Where's the go-to for good clips?
    I ordered 30 of them off amazon, but it looks like amazon stopped listing them.

I do a see a bunch of ebay listings that look identical to the amazon ones:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-PACK-M1-...A/332584809592
    Last edited by DenverGP; 03-14-2019 at 23:21.
    'Unless a law-abiding individual has a firearm for his or her own defense, the police typically arrive after it is too late. With rigor mortis setting in, they mark and bag the evidence, interview bystanders, and draw a chalk outline on the ground' - Judge Benitez , 2019, Duncan v. Becerra.

'One of the ordinary modes by which Tyrants accomplish their purpose without resistance is by disarming the people and making it an offense to keep arms.' Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840.

Quote Originally Posted by Irving View Post
    Congratulations all around
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DenverGP View Post
    Congrats on the wedding, and on the garand. Love my CMP special.

I ordered 30 of them off amazon, but it looks like amazon stopped listing them.

I do a see a bunch of ebay listings that look identical to the amazon ones:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-PACK-M1-...A/332584809592
    Thanks, and Ah ok, cool. It's the same as www.ammogarand.com it looks like, just their Ebay front. I'll order direct from the website, I think. Going to get one of the 6-clip bandoleers & a set of 10 clips.

eta: Are there any "must have" tools I should get? Gas block wrenches, or such?
    Last edited by KestrelBike; 03-14-2019 at 23:44.