Close
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Grand Master Know It All sellersm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hoser View Post
    The Whidden floating die toolhead are awesome. I have them on almost all my 550 caliber conversions.

I am partial to the UniqueTec micrometer powder bars. For small charges the Arredondo bar with the UT micrometer is an excellent addition. Most all the powder bars I use often have them. For a set it and forget it, the stock Dillon is fine.

I need to do a new write up on how to tweak Dillon measures so they throw stick powder better. I have a new measure I need to polish up here in a week or so. I will take some pics.
    Would love to see that, Hoser! My issue is getting the powder container separated so I can gain access to the bottom/funnel portion! Mine seems to be held with 'unobtanium superglue of the galaxy', or something! I can't get them separated...
    http://disciplejourney.com

Make men large and strong and tyranny will bankrupt itself in making shackles for them.” – Rev. Henry Ward Beecher (1813-1887) US Abolitionist Preacher

CIPCIP

The "Godfather" of COAR Great-Kazoo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    I'm battling OAL variations on my 550. I've obviously tried hard mounting the toolhead, and I've ordered some new bearings for the shell plate.

Any other ideas?
    If it's a continual issue, look at the shellplate bolts. I was getting powder throw and OAL issues until i started taking the press apart. The shellplate bolts were loose enoughto be the issue. Removed and cleaned the threads, some blue lt, then reassembled, problem solved.
    The Great Kazoo's Feedback

Ask Yourself: What's more terrifying? Fear or the Frightened .

Quote Originally Posted by sellersm View Post
    Would love to see that, Hoser! My issue is getting the powder container separated so I can gain access to the bottom/funnel portion! Mine seems to be held with 'unobtanium superglue of the galaxy', or something! I can't get them separated...
    If its glued together, it is a really old measure.
    And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning, ET revealed to me his singular purpose.

Grand Master Know It All sellersm's Avatar

If its glued together, it is a really old measure.
    Well I am a really old guy... at least that's what my kids tell me!

Any way to disassemble it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    http://disciplejourney.com

Make men large and strong and tyranny will bankrupt itself in making shackles for them.” – Rev. Henry Ward Beecher (1813-1887) US Abolitionist Preacher

CIPCIP

The "Godfather" of COAR Great-Kazoo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sellersm View Post
    Well I am a really old guy... at least that's what my kids tell me!

Any way to disassemble it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cut the plexiglass tube out and go with one of these

http://wardlance.com/
    The Great Kazoo's Feedback

Ask Yourself: What's more terrifying? Fear or the Frightened .

Woodsmith with "Mod-like" Powers

I bought this kit to try to address my over all length issues on my 550. I still have issues, but it is improved. I must be addressing the wrong problem. The kit did work as advertised though, allowing me to run the shell plate bolt tighter than before.

"It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your ignorance"

Thomas Sowell

www.timkulincabinetry.com

See our reviews below:

http://www.thumbtack.com/Tim-Kulin-C...service/788419

Woodsmith with "Mod-like" Powers

So I put that same kit with the bearing and the phenolic ball in my 650. WOW. What a difference. It rotates much more smoothly and accurately. I ran 350 rounds of .223 on it after installation, and I don't think I spilled a single flake of powder.

The effect on the 550 was not as dramatic for reasons I can't explain.
    "It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your ignorance"

Thomas Sowell

www.timkulincabinetry.com

See our reviews below:

http://www.thumbtack.com/Tim-Kulin-C...service/788419

I'm going to give the Uniquetek/Whidden floating die toolhead a try.

I have the Inline Fabrication light on order.

I wish I had learned about the Inline Fabrication Ultramount before I bought the Dillon Strong Mount. Might still do that eventually, but not right now.

My Feedback

Ultima Ratio Regum - the final argument of kings.

Paper Hunter

I have nothing to add about Dillons, but i can assure you that Dan over at Inline Fabrication is a fantastic guy. I think i have everything he makes for my RCBS press.

I'm the OPie of this thread Irving's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Whidden floating die toolhead are awesome. I have them on almost all my 550 caliber conversions.

I am partial to the UniqueTec micrometer powder bars. For small charges the Arredondo bar with the UT micrometer is an excellent addition.
    Concerning the Uniquetec powder bar, I thought I had seen you mention repeatability in another thread. I'm under the impression that with the makings on the side, I can find the spot I need for the drop I want for a specific load/powder, write it down, and then quickly return to that setting in the future. If that is correct, is it true that I can spend the money on one UniqueTec powder bar, and have a nice compromise of easy repeatability at a cost much lower than buying an additional powder measure for each tool head?
    Minimize, minimize, minimize.