Close
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I'm still in the Gen3 camp, with only one Gen4 G19 to my name. I'll not rush out to upgrade to Gen5.
    "The only real difference between the men and the boys, is the number and size, and cost of their toys."
    NRA Life, GOA Life, SAF Life, CSSA Life, NRA Certified Instructor Circuits' Feedback

I've been using a G19 Gen 3 for 10 years no for training and a lender pistol for classes. Gen4 upgrade at some point but hard to fix something that isn't broke. Even though the Gen4's have many improvements with tighter lockup and definitely better accuracy.
    "I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you f**k with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders.

Paper Hunter

So I ended up moving a few things and picked up a second 19.5 because I like to have a full spare on hand of anything I consider my main battery of arms. Interestingly enough, the first 19.5 I bought has the mismatched slide/frame bevel that everyone has/had their panties in a twist about and the second one has the “updated” frame where the frame/slide bevel is matched up.

Varmiteer

I haven't had an issue with G3s fitting my hand. So I will stay with them and not upgrade.
    Still nice to have something new. esizer, glad you are enjoying your G5s.
    Last edited by 10x; 02-07-2018 at 08:45.

Quote Originally Posted by esizer View Post
    So I ended up moving a few things and picked up a second 19.5 because I like to have a full spare on hand of anything I consider my main battery of arms. Interestingly enough, the first 19.5 I bought has the mismatched slide/frame bevel that everyone has/had their panties in a twist about and the second one has the “updated” frame where the frame/slide bevel is matched up.
    I wish I hadn't read that.. Now I am going to go and verify which one I have lol
    One man can change the world... with enough ammunition.

Hello, my name is: KNOWN Gunner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPaw View Post
    I wish I hadn't read that.. Now I am going to go and verify which one I have lol
    They both work the same whether your frame is beveled or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got the rare version I guess..
    One man can change the world... with enough ammunition.

Serious case of Gun A.D.D. Buckaroobonsai's Avatar

Been running with gen 3s on the job for years as well. Never owned a gen 4. Then I made the move from a gen 3 19 to a gen 5 17. Digging the lack of finger grooves, flared mag well, marksman barrel, beaver tail back strap, ambi slide release, even the trigger feels smoother. Nothing but love.
    Last edited by Buckaroobonsai; 02-10-2018 at 13:53.
    Crawled out from under my rock.

MY FEEDBACK

Recognized as needing a lap dance

Quote Originally Posted by esizer View Post
    I caught the Gen 5 bug a while back and ended up trading/selling my way to a Gen 5 19. I even sold my Gen 4 19 to get there haha.

Anyways I have about 500 rounds through it now so I thought I would give a brief summary of the gun so far.

So far, it has run like any Glock I've ever owned...like clockwork (besides my 43, which has had a few hiccups 1 FTF and a few failure to fully return to battery).

What really sold me on the Gen 5 is the lack of finger grooves because it seemed to fit my hand very well. It feels great in the hand (to me) but that didn't translate into me shooting it better. I actually grouped better with my Gen 4 even though the finger groove spacing was a little off for my hand. I'm not the best handgun shooter anyways, so YMMV.

Onto the finish. I think it looks great on the slide. I've owned several Gen 4s and never had a bad finish experience with them. Even after round counts in the thousands, my Gen 4s looked new. I understand that some people have had issues with the Gen 4 scratching up really bad, though. The Gen 5 finish seems to be very durable but it does show wear on contact areas that my Gen 4s never did. Out of the box, the Gen 5 had "sig smiles" on the barrel, worn finish on the hood of the barrel, and wear from the back of the barrel hood on the breach face. Am i concerned? Not at all...but I never had this kind of wear on my Gen 4s.

The trigger is a Glock trigger...it's less gritty in the take up and a little more refined all around but it's not drastic.

The ambi slide stop doesn't do anything for me as I am right handed shooter. In fact, the only thing it did was make my current 19 holsters not fit.

I do like the design of the slide stop's coil spring versus previous version's leaf spring but that's neither here nor there.

At the end of the day, unless you absolutely hate finger grooves or NEED the ambi slide stop...I wouldn't say upgrade from a previous generation is warranted. I don't regret going the Gen 5 route but I would have been just as happy sticking with my Gen 4.
    Cool. I have heard good things about these.

I have carried a Gen2 22, Gen3 22, an Gen 3 17, and a Gen 4 17 for duty. I love my Gen 4 a lot. I have friends who have already purchased the Gen 5 and the finish does look a little different. My Gen 4 (3 years in and out of a light mount holster) has some holster wear on it, but doesn't look bad.

The three guys I know with Gen 5 all stated they liked no finger grooves better. All three of them attested that the trigger was better and all believed their groupings improved. I only watched one of them shoot it on the range and he was instantly happy.

My Gen 4 is working great so I'm not moving anytime really soon, but would love a Gen5 19 purchase.

Hello, my name is: KNOWN Gunner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KevDen2005 View Post
    Cool. I have heard good things about these.

I have carried a Gen2 22, Gen3 22, an Gen 3 17, and a Gen 4 17 for duty. I love my Gen 4 a lot. I have friends who have already purchased the Gen 5 and the finish does look a little different. My Gen 4 (3 years in and out of a light mount holster) has some holster wear on it, but doesn't look bad.

The three guys I know with Gen 5 all stated they liked no finger grooves better. All three of them attested that the trigger was better and all believed their groupings improved. I only watched one of them shoot it on the range and he was instantly happy.

My Gen 4 is working great so I'm not moving anytime really soon, but would love a Gen5 19 purchase.
    Not sure what Blue Label price is on a G19.5 but a saw a guy driving his asking $500 might be able to get it for less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk