Close
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23
  1. #11
    Grand Master Know It All Skip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    LITTLETON, CO
    Posts
    2,594

    Default

    Since this thread was bumped...

    Trump Budget Would Swap Food Stamps for ‘100% American’ Food Packages

    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-american-food

    The plan is part of an effort to reform SNAP and save a projected $214 billion over a decade. It would give all households receiving more than $90 a month in cash a food-aid package that would "include items such as shelf-stable milk, ready to eat cereals, pasta, peanut butter, beans and canned fruit, vegetables, and meat, poultry or fish," according to the proposal.

    I've always wondered why we haven't been doing this the whole time! We pay farmers to destroy food. We then pay "benefit" recipients to buy food at retail prices (Walton family loves that).

    Same with housing... How much more effective would Section 8 be if the dollars were spent on government housing and not private properties?

    If we're gonna Commie, let's Commie the right way!
    Fuckin' liberals...

  2. #12
    Pickles; the Camel Kisser Irving's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    El Barrio (Thornton)
    Posts
    35,179
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    It would be stupid for a business to not accept EBT.

    Raw ingredients only is a terrible idea. If the point of assistance is to actually assist someone, than limiting to raw ingredients is harmful to the purpose of the program.

    Most people bitching about stuff like this are very far removed from anything even close to a SNAP program. So it's easy to become jaded and just assume that everyone on any sort of government assistance is just some system abusing lackey, but the world is a tad more nuanced than that.

    What's that? Some old lady with Parkinson's whose husband just died and doesn't have any kids needs some help affording food? Well here's some raw sugar and flour, try not to mess up the recipe with those shaky old claws!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NFzEW8rSWc

  3. #13
    Grand Master Know It All crays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Live-Aurora Work-Golden
    Posts
    3,222

    Default

    Papa Murphy's is likely a bit more nutritious than a lot of junk ebt-er's buy. Reasonably priced, as well.

    There are many more ebt capable businesses that deserve your derision far more.

    Pick your battles.

    Sent from somewhere
    Comply in public, Conduct in private.

    FEEDBACK

  4. #14
    Machine Gunner 00tec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North of Bennett
    Posts
    1,998

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crays View Post
    Papa Murphy's is likely a bit more nutritious than a lot of junk ebt-er's buy. Reasonably priced, as well.

    There are many more ebt capable businesses that deserve your derision far more.

    Pick your battles.

    Sent from somewhere
    7-11 maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by tmleadr03 View Post
    If I had a slave he'd look just like...

  5. #15
    Grand Master Know It All Skip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    LITTLETON, CO
    Posts
    2,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Irving View Post
    [snip]

    What's that? Some old lady with Parkinson's whose husband just died and doesn't have any kids needs some help affording food? Well here's some raw sugar and flour, try not to mess up the recipe with those shaky old claws!
    Should that person be on her own? Did she drive to Papy Murphy's? Will she leave the oven on? These are questions we had to address with my grandmother. And no, giving her a ready bake pizza didn't solve the problems.

    One of the things I've noticed is the line-blurring between people who are legitimately disabled and, like you said, system abusing lackeys.

    If these social programs were limited to legitimate need not only would the money go further (to actually address core problems [buying the lady a Papa Murphy's probably doesn't solve all her needs]), we'd also have less tax dollars going in taken from workers, and less frustration from those us who have to support our own families in addition to others.

    Of course then we also wouldn't have stores openly advertising EBT because use would be rare.

    For people who are able minded/bodied... Yes, give them a cardboard box full of .gov purchased food at the cheapest possible prices. No one starves and there's plenty of motivation to get a job.
    Fuckin' liberals...

  6. #16
    Pickles; the Camel Kisser Irving's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    El Barrio (Thornton)
    Posts
    35,179
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    It seems to me that any program that it's designed to be easy to use, can also be easy to abuse. Make it too difficult to abuse, and it will no longer be as useful as intended. Adding government to anything usually adds a layer of complication.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NFzEW8rSWc

  7. #17
    Glock Armorer for sexual favors Jer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Loveland, CO
    Posts
    5,178

    Default

    If the focus were more on the type of people who are able to qualify for the program then I wouldn't waste a second thought on what it was for or how they were using it. The real problem is the people that are currently receiving assistance have ZERO business being on it and it makes it easier to criticize what they spend it on.
    I'm not fat, I'm tactically padded.
    Tactical Commander - Fast Action Response Team (F.A.R.T.)
    For my feedback Click Here.
    Click: For anyone with a dog or pets, please read

  8. #18
    Grand Master Know It All Skip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    LITTLETON, CO
    Posts
    2,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Irving View Post
    It seems to me that any program that it's designed to be easy to use, can also be easy to abuse. Make it too difficult to abuse, and it will no longer be as useful as intended. Adding government to anything usually adds a layer of complication.
    Gov is already it in. Itís the gov that takes from paychecks and redistributes.

    Asking for objective qualification shouldnít be controversial. If we want to help people, with finite resources, we have to discriminate.
    Fuckin' liberals...

  9. #19
    GLOCK HOOKER hurley842002's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Littleton
    Posts
    6,565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    If the focus were more on the type of people who are able to qualify for the program then I wouldn't waste a second thought on what it was for or how they were using it. The real problem is the people that are currently receiving assistance have ZERO business being on it and it makes it easier to criticize what they spend it on.
    Completely agree.

  10. #20
    Grand Master Know It All hobowh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    littleton
    Posts
    3,435

    Default

    I'm pretty sure it already covers it anyway... dogs love rice and hamburger with veggies, cats couldn't tell you but there is something there... though if your that broke you could just go stir fry and save a trip to the store just don't tell them what they ate till the day after it runs out
    The Hobo

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •