Close
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27
  1. #21
    Machine Gunner Circuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Colofornia Springs, CO
    Posts
    2,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by def90 View Post
    PSA AKs are starting to show abnormal failures.. Have never heard of a real AK folder crack.. but here is a PSA AK folder that has cracked.. A number of other issues out there, broken extractors, abnormal peening and wear on bolt/trunnion contact surfaces..

    Basically no one in the US has figured out how to build something the rest of the world has been building for roughly 67 years or so.
    They know how, but can't be price-competitive against giant government-subsidized arms factories in foreign lands, with our low production volume and higher labor and materials costs.
    "The only real difference between the men and the boys, is the number and size, and cost of their toys."
    NRA Life, GOA Life, SAF Life, CSSA Life, NRA Certified Instructor Circuits' Feedback

  2. #22
    Looking Elsewhere def90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Posts
    1,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Circuits View Post
    They know how, but can't be price-competitive against giant government-subsidized arms factories in foreign lands, with our low production volume and higher labor and materials costs.
    I agree it costs more to do it right but the prints and production specs are widely available so there shouldn't be any R&D costs. In the case of IO and Century they have to know their product is a heaping piece of shit and they just don't care.

    Arsenals sell for over $1k.. these American companies keep trying to sell in the $600 range.. Plenty of room for them to charge more if they can make a quality product. People pay over $2k for Rifle Dynamics AKs so..

  3. #23
    Machine Gunner Circuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Colofornia Springs, CO
    Posts
    2,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by def90 View Post
    I agree it costs more to do it right but the prints and production specs are widely available so there shouldn't be any R&D costs. In the case of IO and Century they have to know their product is a heaping piece of shit and they just don't care.

    Arsenals sell for over $1k.. these American companies keep trying to sell in the $600 range.. Plenty of room for them to charge more if they can make a quality product. People pay over $2k for Rifle Dynamics AKs so..
    It's not about R&D - it's about capital outlay - millions of dollars for big honking machines and a factory dedicated to making AKs in the massive quantity necessary to get a quality product's price point down that low. Clearly the US market demand does not support the capital investment required to make quality AKs at a price point you deem appropriate.
    "The only real difference between the men and the boys, is the number and size, and cost of their toys."
    NRA Life, GOA Life, SAF Life, CSSA Life, NRA Certified Instructor Circuits' Feedback

  4. #24
    Recognized as needing a lap dance
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    4,630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Circuits View Post
    It's not about R&D - it's about capital outlay - millions of dollars for big honking machines and a factory dedicated to making AKs in the massive quantity necessary to get a quality product's price point down that low. Clearly the US market demand does not support the capital investment required to make quality AKs at a price point you deem appropriate.
    Well now that everyone owns five or six AR platforms maybe they are gonna do the same with AK style rifles.

  5. #25
    Machine Gunner ben4372's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    englewood
    Posts
    1,319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthPaw View Post
    I picked up mine from a LGS for $429.... 3-4 years ago. I really hope AK's get down to AR pricing.
    This is funny for people that remember when you could buy 3 AKs for one AR.

  6. #26
    The "Godfather" of COAR Great-Kazoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Washboard Alley, AZ.
    Posts
    38,653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ben4372 View Post
    This is funny for people that remember when you could buy 3 AKs for one AR.
    3? Shotgun news ran a front page ad back in 84-65 pushing Polytec Milled receiver AK's for $250 each. $200 if you purchased 3 or more. They'd throw in a case of norinco copper washed steel case for another $75.
    The Great Kazoo's Feedback

    Imagination is the only Weapon, in the War Against Reality

  7. #27
    Proud Infidel beast556's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    1,790

    Default

    I remember mak90's with a 75rd drum for 199$. I got my first AK a Hungarian sa85 for 295$. We will never see cheap ak's again. Clinton's barrel ban has caught up with us.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •