Close
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Irving View Post
    I'm trying to think outside the box if there are other ways to utilize the moisture in the air, like having more plants or something. Something that wouldn't just end up creating more work. If the collected water from a dehumidifier is safe, which it should be, you could use it to fill the water for your birds. How are the birds dealing with the additional moisture?
    The birds don't seem to mind a bit. In fact they probably enjoy the additional heat. I used to keep it 40F in there all winter. Now it's in the mid-high 60s.

Quote Originally Posted by rjr6150 View Post
    Look into a air to air heat exchanger.
    These look interesting, but probably not in the budget.

pics please
    Armageddon was yesterday, today we have a real problem.

Despite what your momma told you violence does solve problems-The Craft

More plants = more humidity btw, they always put more into the air than they take out. (There's probably certain types of rare plants that can "drink" off of only 100% humidity, but I can't think of any right now...)

Grow op too moist? <just kidding>

Interior tenting? Window venting seems easiest but then there is temp control. How to minimize moister in the system?
    "You can't fool me, there is no sanity clause!"
    Chico Marx

A/C only unit tied to a humidistat to control humidity and a A/C- Heat unit to control the climate or look at a pool dehumidifier
    as a example https://www.dehumidifiercorp.com/vertical-dehumidifiers
    If you don't stand behind our Troops 100%
    Please stand in front of them.

"The government, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." Abraham Lincoln

Grand Master Know It All

Quote Originally Posted by GilpinGuy View Post
    When you wrote "covering the tank" I thought you meant insulating it, not really covering it. Oops. I suppose rafting most of the surface of the water would do the same thing.
    Look up floating hot tub covers. Basically industrial bubble wrap you cut to fit. You can use just about anything that floats though.

I'm trying this:
    vent 1.jpg
    It ain't pretty. Just an $18.00 50 CFM bathroom fan, a 3" elbow, some scrap wood and an old pillow to fill the gap. If it works out, I'll do a more finished job on it all.

I've had this running for about 24 hours - got it running late last night. The fan ran 1/2 hour on/off all night last night with no space heater on. The temp dipped to about 57F when I checked this morning and there was still quite a bit of moisture on the windows. I expected a temp drop but was a bit disappointed with the moisture. I left it all day today and lo and behold, I went in there late afternoon and the windows were completely free of any moisture. Of course daylight helped, but it is a huge improvement. There used to be heavy moisture 24/7.

Tonight I set the timer for the vent to be on 1/2 hour every hour and a half instead of on/off every half hour. Plus I set the space heater to go on for a half hour when the vent is off during the "reduced rates" times from the elec. company. We'll see how this works.

It'll take some tinkering but I think I can get this to work. If not, you'll hear about it.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiCO View Post
    pics please
    Go HERE and you'll find all of my videos on this stuff.

Pickles; the Camel Kisser Irving's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Today was pretty warm (at least down here). I'd be interested in how much the temp drops if you don't run a heater at all, just to see what the difference is. If the birds were used to colder, then you may not need to heat at all.

Wulf202 turned me onto a Wyoming homestead channel today. I checked out some videos and they are gardening in the winter, in soil, in an unheated green house. Might be interesting to check out, even if it doesn't translate completely to what you're doing.
    "In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends." -John Churton Collins