Close
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Lebowski View Post
    Cool project & info.

Edit: I'm mostly interested in the G19, and that is FAR more penetration than I'd expected.
    One of the BIG take-aways from all of this so far is; in general, pistol, PCC, SBR, rifle, shotgun.... 15 boards of penetration or more. So, if they are all penetrating about the same or slightly more, without trying to mitigate collateral damage from a miss by switching ammo to specialized bullets, why choose anything but the rifle? Even after the tests, the rifle was easier to mitigate damage with by choosing a Vmax bullet, why use the other gun platforms for home defense? I get rifle damage on a person and can still optimize the potential for collateral damage all from an AR-15. It gives me more rounds, easier aiming, better control, and better ammo. I'm carrying a lot of 40 and 55gr Vmax bullets in mags now, I'll tell you that for free.
    Mom's comin' 'round to put it back the way it ought to be.

Anyone that thinks war is good is ignorant. Anyone that thinks war isn't needed is stupid.

Pickles; the Camel Kisser Irving's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks for requested break down, and entire test overall.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NFzEW8rSWc

Machine Gunner Jeffrey Lebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SA Friday View Post
    One of the BIG take-aways from all of this so far is; in general, pistol, PCC, SBR, rifle, shotgun.... 15 boards of penetration or more. So, if they are all penetrating about the same or slightly more, without trying to mitigate collateral damage from a miss by switching ammo to specialized bullets, why choose anything but the rifle? Even after the tests, the rifle was easier to mitigate damage with by choosing a Vmax bullet, why use the other gun platforms for home defense? I get rifle damage on a person and can still optimize the potential for collateral damage all from an AR-15. It gives me more rounds, easier aiming, better control, and better ammo. I'm carrying a lot of 40 and 55gr Vmax bullets in mags now, I'll tell you that for free.
    Yep, I think that is a very reasonable conclusion.
    I’ve thought similarly for a while when I saw a website making a case for the AR in home defense - and it came back to aiming and control largely. The thrust of the article was basically how the shotgun was a horrible choice.

I’ve thought that for a while, and all that Joe Biden shotgun and “shoot through the door” stuff was a total head-shaker. I’m really going to leave that to my 130lb wife? C’mon. I like shooting clays, but c’mon.

-But to your question, why choose anything else? For me personally, it is because I have a toddler so as much as I love ARs (and even more the AR builds), they are locked in the basement. And far and away most of my range time is the G19. But under other circumstances I agree completely with your findings.

Super interesting stuff. Great work.
    Obviously not a golfer.