Close
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Ahhh crap how do I know if my can is SBR rated? I have to assume it is because I've used it on my SBRs with no issues.

Recognized as needing a lap dance

Quote Originally Posted by DEAGLER View Post
    Look into the silencerco hybrid. Love mine.
    I love mine too. Someone further down wrote "addictive" and I have to agree. I would like to purchase one or two more suppressors.

Quote Originally Posted by CoGirl303 View Post
    I am not sure of the correct terminology for this but I put both in the subject. I wasn't sure if they were sound suppressors or silencers, or both.

Anyhow, I have the S&W M&P Sport II with the A2 front sight and a flash suppressor (I think?) screwed into the front. As seen below

I am considering applying for a stamp to put a suppressor/silencer on but I don't know anything about them, what to get or what to look for.

Do I need to have my barrel threaded? (if so, where would I get such a service done at?)
    What suppressor/silencer should I look at?
    How do I know what suppressor/silencer reduces the most sound?
    What should I look for in a suppressor/silencer?

I guess my budget would be about $900-$1000 for one (not including the $200 for the stamp).

I do know it requires ATF Form 4
    Wait time is 6-12 months
    $200 for the stamp
    That's about all I do know on this matter.

Please educate me on suppressors/silencers.

Thank you.
    I say wait time is more like 12 months and I have heard within the last few months that it really hasn't sped up much. I say buy from a reputable dealer that you know for sure will be around in 12 months. I think a couple people even on this board had purchased some NFA items and the dealer they purchased through was either going under or a one man shop and the died. Good book keeping will probably make it so you won't be screwed but it may take more work on your end. LFI in Johnstown is a suppressor dealer and I think Ironhorse Armory in Parker is one as well with multiple brands. I have purchased items from both places and very happy with both of them.

Plus the dealer will fill out your form 4 for you.

I don't know why but I submitted my form 4 for two suppressors and a form 1 (I filled that out as I was building it) form my SBR at the same time and my form 1 took 45 days longer to get approved. I work with a guy that submitted two form 1's (SBR and for an SBS) and they took about 16 months. He received them back with highlighted fields they wanted fixed. He did so and then had his approval in another month.

I chose a Hybrid for being universal and not suppressing the most sound. I can take it off one weapon system and put it on another. I have already used on two different rifles and need to try it out on a pistol yet. You can look at each can and their site will tell you what their decibel reduction rating is, probably in the neighborhood of 30 db. Another reason why a lot of people run .300 BLK because they can find ammo that produces less decibels. A hyrbrid will let your run it on something like that if you purchase it down the road. I believe Gemtech also makes a suppressor that is more "universal."

I'd say unless you're in the jungles of Southeast Asia fightin the Cong, go with something universal to save your money. They are addictive. I believe veterans also qualify for the program SilencerCO offers to get half off MSRP on suppressors (which isn't quite half because MSRP is always way more). There are only a few dealers in the state that can do that. I imagine the other companies offer something similar.

The ATF is a weird animal.
    Last edited by KevDen2005; 02-13-2018 at 07:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshoon View Post

You need to decide if you want to direct thread (screw on) a can on every time or if you want a quick mount muzzle device. 2nd question is weather or not you will be getting a larger caliber rifle in the future that you want to suppress or only staying with .223/5.56. Be realistic in the goal here as that really drives the answer as to which can to get.
    I do quick mount muzzle devices since I don't have a dedicated rifle for one can.

But that's something she can worry about in about 12 months from the time the Form 4 gets submitted, in my opinion. I personally messed around with both ideas and since I decided to use my can on multiple rifles I thought it best to get quick detach options.

Down the road I would love to purchase a CZ Scorpion and try a suppressor out on that.

Grand Master Know It All CavSct1983's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by izzy View Post
    Ahhh crap how do I know if my can is SBR rated? I have to assume it is because I've used it on my SBRs with no issues.
    Manufacturer's website should say for your model; if not, you could contact and ask. The failure resultant from too short a barrel might not be immediate, if the can is on a host system outside of its tolerance specs for muzzle blast/pressure/whatever the term is.

For example, my trust owns a Templar Ark30, but their original design. According to the company owner, when I asked him in an email, for .223/5.56, I should not use the can on a barrel shorter than 12.5" (this is for the original design, not the new ones). Now, I could probably get away with a shorter barrel, but the can is not designed for it and it would likely kill the can over the long run. Failure might not be immediate. Could be a few hundred rounds. Maybe thousands. I'm not going to find out and will just stick with the boundaries as expressed by the manufacturer.

Next can will be SBR rated for sure.
    My Feedback
    "
    "The exception has become the rule, and that is the worst of all possible tyrannies."
    G.K. Chesterton, Illustrated London News, November 21, 1914"

Ark Tactical in Lakewood

and

DangerLee Industies in Elizabeth

are 2 reputable, forum member owned businesses.
    Comply in public, Conduct in private.

FEEDBACK

Quote Originally Posted by crays View Post
    Ark Tactical in Lakewood

and

DangerLee Industies in Elizabeth

are 2 reputable, forum member owned businesses.
    Good point. I didn't even think to push member owned stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by CavSct1983 View Post
    Manufacturer's website should say for your model; if not, you could contact and ask. The failure resultant from too short a barrel might not be immediate, if the can is on a host system outside of its tolerance specs for muzzle blast/pressure/whatever the term is.

For example, my trust owns a Templar Ark30, but their original design. According to the company owner, when I asked him in an email, for .223/5.56, I should not use the can on a barrel shorter than 12.5" (this is for the original design, not the new ones). Now, I could probably get away with a shorter barrel, but the can is not designed for it and it would likely kill the can over the long run. Failure might not be immediate. Could be a few hundred rounds. Maybe thousands. I'm not going to find out and will just stick with the boundaries as expressed by the manufacturer.

Next can will be SBR rated for sure.
    Oh sweet, it says my can is SBR rated. There was no info for my pistol can in terms of SBR rating but I have to assume that's meant for shorter barrels in the first place. Did learn my pistol can can actually handle subsonic 300BO which is interesting.

The "Godfather" of COAR Great-Kazoo's Avatar

As of 2/12/18 current wait time for individual is 4 months, 8+ for a trust. Based on someone i know who filed as individual's turn around time, combined with what i've been seeing on line.
    The Great Kazoo's Feedback

Imagination is the only Weapon, in the War Against Reality

Grand Master Know It All kidicarus13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CoGirl303 View Post

I do know it requires ATF Form 4
    Wait time is 6-12 months.
    Plug and play.

http://www.nfatracker.com/nfa-transfer-time-tracking/
    Lessons cost money. Good ones cost lots. -Tony Beets