Close
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by KevDen2005 View Post
    OH MY!!!

I've been eyeballing the CZ Scorpion Evo 3. I might have to wait and see what the reviews are gonna be like on "PS5." I want to make sure a suppressor could be used with it....

Which also keeps the relevance in this thread!
    I use a suppressor on my MP5, had to get a 3 lug adaptor for it though. I think I saw the PSA one had a thread protector on it however.

ETA: I was wrong, looked up the pics and it's 3 lug.
    Last edited by izzy; 02-14-2018 at 13:07.

Quote Originally Posted by izzy View Post
    I use a suppressor on my MP5, had to get a 3 lug adaptor for it though. I think I saw the PSA one had a thread protector on it however.

ETA: I was wrong, looked up the pics and it's 3 lug.
    For some reason, I want to say it's both. But that was from memory. I will try to find what I thought I read (unless that's only what they said in the booth)

Ultima Ratio Regum - the final argument of kings.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...lone-revealed/

The barrel on the demo model had a tri lug suppressor adaptor. The production model will have a threaded barrel as well as the tri lug mount. That’s a good start.

Ultima Ratio Regum - the final argument of kings.

Either way, depending on which can you have, it'll be suppressible. I have an ACC Ti-RANT 45 that works really well with the 3 lug adaptor that they sell for it.

Pickles; the Camel Kisser Irving's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kidicarus13 View Post
    Waiting for food stamps is a terrible idea. If the point of assistance is to actually assist someone, then waiting on food stamps is harmful to the purpose of the program.

Most people bitching about stuff like this are very far removed from anything like food stamps. So it's easy to become jaded and just assume that everyone on any sort of government assistance is just some system abusing lackey, but the world is a tad more nuanced than that.
    That's the funny. The correct answer is that since people can't wait for food stamps, obviously, that NFA checks would have to be dramatically sped up, which was were I was going.
    "In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends." -John Churton Collins

Grand Master Know It All kidicarus13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Irving View Post
    That's the funny. The correct answer is that since people can't wait for food stamps, obviously, that NFA checks would have to be dramatically sped up, which was were I was going.
    I know, I was playing.
    Lessons cost money. Good ones cost lots. -Tony Beets

Pickles; the Camel Kisser Irving's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It was certainly well played. Everyone needs to be kept in check.
    "In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends." -John Churton Collins

Quote Originally Posted by CoGirl303 View Post

I am considering applying for a stamp to put a suppressor/silencer on but I don't know anything about them, what to get or what to look for.

Do I need to have my barrel threaded? (if so, where would I get such a service done at?)
    What suppressor/silencer should I look at?
    How do I know what suppressor/silencer reduces the most sound?
    What should I look for in a suppressor/silencer?

I guess my budget would be about $900-$1000 for one (not including the $200 for the stamp).

I do know it requires ATF Form 4
    Wait time is 6-12 months
    $200 for the stamp
    That's about all I do know on this matter.

Please educate me on suppressors/silencers.

Thank you.
    You are a little over an hour away from Danger Lee Enterprises in Elizabeth. It's a bit of a trip, but they are friendly, knowledgeable and had a good stock of suppressors when I was in recently. It might be worth the drive on an upcoming Saturday. In stock is a bonus; I ordered a suppressor over a month ago (from the manufacturer) and have yet to get serial number to even start my form 4.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the decibel reduction numbers. They aren't as reliable as the manufacturers may make them seem. Looking at weight and materials is probably more important.

There are a lot of suppressor options, and a few basic things to consider. What you decide is going to depend on how you decide to balance durability, weight, and cost.
    For instance, consider the blast baffle. That's the baffle closest to the barrel which takes the brunt of the gas and powder particles. Aluminum is cheap, light, and easy to work. An aluminum blast baffle generally works fine for pistol calibers, but might take a beating under magnum rifle loads. For a rifle caliber you may want to ensure you have a blast baffle of some much harder material. Steel, as an alternative is durable and cheap, but heavy. Trade-offs.

Something else to consider is functionality. Do you need a suppressor that has a quick connect system for easy transfer between rifles, or is direct thread okay? Does it need to be the most accurate suppressor you can get? The quietest? Or maybe the lightest or the shortest?

Thunder Beast has a new .556 suppressor that is reasonably priced and should be good. I think it was introduced at SHOT show. The SilencerCo Omega also looks like a great suppressor. Griffin makes a convertible suppressor that looks completely functional. I have a full auto rated Gemtech 9mm suppressor that works great. AAC, and pretty much everyone else I didn't mention makes a good suppressor as well. The problem is actually making a decision, there are an aweful lot of good choices.
    Never complain; never explain.

Thank you for all of the responses! I have a lot of reading to do.

Quote Originally Posted by 00tec View Post
    Your barrel is threaded under that birdcage flash hider. Unscrew it, screw on a brake or flash hider that is compatible with the suppressor.
    thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by DEAGLER View Post
    Look into the silencerco hybrid. Love mine.
    thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by MOLON LABE View Post
    https://youtu.be/51cSzfn-WCo

This should get you started. Since you already have a budget in mind, do you think this will be your only suppressors for the foreseeable future, or the first of many?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would like one on my Sig Sauer P938 as well.

I also plan on doing an SBR AR-15 at some point with a suppressor.

thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshoon View Post
    I'm a silencerco fan (omega, saker, others), but the last suppressor bought was a Dead Air. Dead Air's keymount is arguably one of the best, but i haven't launched a can downrange with either silencerco ASR or trifecta mounts yet. I'll be swapping out to all DA keymounts as funds allow for all the cans.

You need to decide if you want to direct thread (screw on) a can on every time or if you want a quick mount muzzle device. 2nd question is weather or not you will be getting a larger caliber rifle in the future that you want to suppress or only staying with .223/5.56. Be realistic in the goal here as that really drives the answer as to which can to get.

If you want to save money in the future, buy 3 cans now (a dedicated .22 can, .45 pistol can, and a .30 cal rifle can) and be done with it. The .45 will do all pistol calibers and the .30 will do most rifle calibers and the .22 stays on .22 because they get dirty as hell and need to be cleaned on a regular basis vs most rifle and pistol cans that are sealed/welded and cant be cleaned.
    thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsker View Post
    Also need to think about whether you want to do this under a trust (which you would have to form) or as an individual.
    I will be doing this under a trust. I don't care to have Uncle Sam get my guns and destroy them.

Quote Originally Posted by SAnd View Post
    The ATF calls them a Silencer on the Form 4 that you fill out to transfer it to you. Most other people call them suppressors because they don't silence, only suppress the sound. I generally refer to them as Silencers because that's what I paid $200 for. They are also referred to as a "Can" or "Cans".

A warning is in order to someone filling out a Form 4 or Form 1. They are strangely addictive. I don't know of anyone that has only one Stamp. So be careful when embarking on this new life. Wolfshoon touched on this in his post.

I love my Cans/Silencers/Suppressors.
    I plan on a SBR AR-15 build with a suppressor at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Irving View Post
    Here is more reading material now that I looked it up. I'm not sure how up to date this site is now a days.

http://www.silencerresearch.com/free...er_reviews.htm
    thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by KevDen2005 View Post
    I say wait time is more like 12 months and I have heard within the last few months that it really hasn't sped up much. I say buy from a reputable dealer that you know for sure will be around in 12 months. I think a couple people even on this board had purchased some NFA items and the dealer they purchased through was either going under or a one man shop and the died. Good book keeping will probably make it so you won't be screwed but it may take more work on your end. LFI in Johnstown is a suppressor dealer and I think Ironhorse Armory in Parker is one as well with multiple brands. I have purchased items from both places and very happy with both of them.

Plus the dealer will fill out your form 4 for you.

I don't know why but I submitted my form 4 for two suppressors and a form 1 (I filled that out as I was building it) form my SBR at the same time and my form 1 took 45 days longer to get approved. I work with a guy that submitted two form 1's (SBR and for an SBS) and they took about 16 months. He received them back with highlighted fields they wanted fixed. He did so and then had his approval in another month.

I chose a Hybrid for being universal and not suppressing the most sound. I can take it off one weapon system and put it on another. I have already used on two different rifles and need to try it out on a pistol yet. You can look at each can and their site will tell you what their decibel reduction rating is, probably in the neighborhood of 30 db. Another reason why a lot of people run .300 BLK because they can find ammo that produces less decibels. A hyrbrid will let your run it on something like that if you purchase it down the road. I believe Gemtech also makes a suppressor that is more "universal."

I'd say unless you're in the jungles of Southeast Asia fightin the Cong, go with something universal to save your money. They are addictive. I believe veterans also qualify for the program SilencerCO offers to get half off MSRP on suppressors (which isn't quite half because MSRP is always way more). There are only a few dealers in the state that can do that. I imagine the other companies offer something similar.

The ATF is a weird animal.
    thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by crays View Post
    Ark Tactical in Lakewood

and

DangerLee Industies in Elizabeth

are 2 reputable, forum member owned businesses.
    excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dutch View Post
    You are a little over an hour away from Danger Lee Enterprises in Elizabeth. It's a bit of a trip, but they are friendly, knowledgeable and had a good stock of suppressors when I was in recently. It might be worth the drive on an upcoming Saturday. In stock is a bonus; I ordered a suppressor over a month ago (from the manufacturer) and have yet to get serial number to even start my form 4.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the decibel reduction numbers. They aren't as reliable as the manufacturers may make them seem. Looking at weight and materials is probably more important.

There are a lot of suppressor options, and a few basic things to consider. What you decide is going to depend on how you decide to balance durability, weight, and cost.
    For instance, consider the blast baffle. That's the baffle closest to the barrel which takes the brunt of the gas and powder particles. Aluminum is cheap, light, and easy to work. An aluminum blast baffle generally works fine for pistol calibers, but might take a beating under magnum rifle loads. For a rifle caliber you may want to ensure you have a blast baffle of some much harder material. Steel, as an alternative is durable and cheap, but heavy. Trade-offs.

Something else to consider is functionality. Do you need a suppressor that has a quick connect system for easy transfer between rifles, or is direct thread okay? Does it need to be the most accurate suppressor you can get? The quietest? Or maybe the lightest or the shortest?

Thunder Beast has a new .556 suppressor that is reasonably priced and should be good. I think it was introduced at SHOT show. The SilencerCo Omega also looks like a great suppressor. Griffin makes a convertible suppressor that looks completely functional. I have a full auto rated Gemtech 9mm suppressor that works great. AAC, and pretty much everyone else I didn't mention makes a good suppressor as well. The problem is actually making a decision, there are an aweful lot of good choices.

Thank you.