Close

Thread: AR Pistol

Default AR Pistol

I don't see much on AR pistol's here, I been thinking about the new Springfield Saint pistol or maybe build one. Any cons I need to know.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/pr...5-pistol-5-56/

I went the route of building one.

It's fun, and behaves like an SBR (now that the ATF has waffled back to "it's okay to shoulder a pistol") without the $200 tax stamp, and hassle. I took it to WY for a weekend when I visited some friends, and I didn't have to notify everyone of an NFA weapon being moved across state lines which is nice.

Be sure to check the warranty of any can you would want to use on the Saint (7.5" barrel), as very few manufacturers will honor their warranty below the 10.5" mark.

If you're not going to run a can, I would suggest a KX3 or similar to make the shooting more comfortable. I have the FerFrans CRD (http://www.primaryarms.com/ferfrans-...ice-1-2x28-crd) on mine, and with just the brake it is abusive to the shooter. With the CRD it is significantly more tame.

We spent a lot of time driving around my buddies property in WY, and it was actually noticeably easier to get in/out of the vehicle, and move around with a 10.5" bbl instead of a 16" bbl.
    For your convenience, a link to my Feedback

They’re loud.
    "But when it's time to fight, you fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark… and brother, it's startin' to rain.”

Hello, my name is: KNOWN Gunner's Avatar

You could a nicer one for less than the price of that saint I would think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I built my ar pistol with a kak brace, and a PSA 10.5" upper with a flash can. The flash can does a good job of focusing all of the sound downrange. At the range, mine doesn't sound any louder than a standard 16" ar. Definitely my favorite.

Anyone with experience with an short stroke Piston operated (Adams Arms) AR pistol, or really not worth getting into. Just thinking about unburned powder in a 7.5", seems it could get a little messy.

Quote Originally Posted by peteg View Post
    Anyone with experience with an short stroke Piston operated (Adams Arms) AR pistol, or really not worth getting into. Just thinking about unburned powder in a 7.5", seems it could get a little messy.
    Yes.

My 10.5" has the AA carbine kit on it. I used the same upper that Denver showed, from Palmetto, and I like it.

Is is necessary for non-suppressed? No, not really. But it is nice when shooting suppressed. It vents the gas at the gas block instead of into the upper, and that has made a noticeable difference in cleaning, even when I wasn't shooting it suppressed.

I'm not going to convert all of my AR's to piston by any means, but I do like the AA piston kit that I put on the pistol.
    For your convenience, a link to my Feedback

Quick question, if building do I need a lower that was originally purchased as a pistol or can I use one that I may not be sure of original designation?

Quote Originally Posted by esaabye View Post
    Just make sure you dig thru lots of mis-information early in that thread to get to the real facts posted later.

Basically a stripped lower should be transferred as an "other" and can be made into a pistol or rifle. If it was incorrectly transferred as a rifle, then it legally can't be made into a pistol without involving the ATF.
    Last edited by DenverGP; 04-02-2018 at 12:15.