Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    COAR SpecOps Team Leader theGinsue's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default SOLD - A "Must Read" for many of our Trading Post uses

SOLD

ETA: See my explanation of this post below
    Ginsue - Admin
    Proud Infidel Since 1965

"Man does a lot better in hardship than he does in ease. He does a lot better in adversity than he does in luxury." - Anonymous WWII Veteran. ~Sep 2018

Ginsue's Feedback

Moderator "Doctor" Grey TheGrey's Avatar

Hi, folks.

Those of you that use the Trading Post must read and acknowledge the rules before you can post anything for sale, trade, or anything in the wanted section. Listed among the moderator duties is the task of making sure the posts comply with the current laws, as well as the rules of the site.

These rules are read and acknowledged by you in the Trading Post sticky.

I have spent a goodly portion of the morning going through the many, many listings in the Trading Post.

The good news is that I haven't noticed any posts in recent times that have flouted the magazine laws, lack of price/value, or information on FFLs. Good job, and thank you for that.

What I have noticed is that items that have been sold, withdrawn, or otherwise removed from sale, are not being reported.

Instead, you choose to write "sold" in the text of your ad, Or worse yet, you take the time to erase the entire thing, leaving a blank with the word "sold"- and it's been there for weeks.

Every month or so, we mods come and post something about this. Some people realize they've been remiss, others chime in (most unhelpfully, so DON'T do it) that we mods are too lax and keep doing this time after time, letting people get away with it. Many of the guilty parties use this forum as a sort of ArmsList where they can just sell their firearms and related items, and ignore everything else.

I wondered to myself why people have such a hard time with this rule, and have realized this: Either you don’t know how to report a post, or you’re just too lazy.

For those of you that genuinely do not know how to report a post, here are the steps:
    Down at the bottom of the frame is a small triangle with an exclamation point in it. Upon the sale of your item, go to the initial post in your thread and click on the small triangle. A blank text box will appear. All you need to do is type “Sold, please close” or “withdrawn” or “changed my mind” and then you click on the “Submit” button. That’s all. We’ll take care of the rest.

For those of you too lazy to report it: Anyone that has a post count higher than 2 will be held accountable for knowing and understanding the rules that they read and acknowledged. If you can go to your post after an item has been sold, and change the text in your post, you can damn well click the report button.
    IGNORANCE IS NO LONGER AN ACCEPTABLE EXCUSE.

If I have to keep doing this, there will be a minimum of a week’s ban, and I don’t care if you have 17 other items listed for sale in the TP at the time. If your actions drive me to ban you because you can’t be bothered to follow these very simple rules, I will go the extra effort to lock every one of your threads in the TP. We’re not a gun broker site, and I’m not your damn wife or mother, to have to clean up after you. The TP is a privilege, not a right. If you have sold something and not reported it, kindly do so now and do so in the future.
    "We have a blind date with Destiny...and she's ordered the lobster!" - The Shoveler, Mystery Men

Feedback for TheGrey

Moderator "Doctor" Grey TheGrey's Avatar

I'd like to thank those of you that have reported your "sold" items thus far. It's greatly appreciated.

For those of you that haven't done so, or for those that have items listed and you haven't checked them in a while- you may want to look at your posts. There are several threads that have people asking questions, and several threads where nothing has been done in weeks. I can't tell if those items are still for sale, or if it's been sold and just left hanging.
    "We have a blind date with Destiny...and she's ordered the lobster!" - The Shoveler, Mystery Men

Feedback for TheGrey

Blog Entries

Now that we've got your attention...

Regarding the thread title and the first post, many of our members enjoy looking at sold/traded posts to gauge prices for their similar items. When you go into a thread hoping to read content and find that the member selfishly wiped out all of the content only to replace it with SOLD, it can be particularly annoying. So how about leaving the thread intact and simply using the Report Post option (or PM a member of the staff if you can't find the Report Post option) to let us know it can be closed. This way you're helping your fellow members while keeping the staff happy as well. This makes it a win all of the way around.

To add to what TheGrey said about inactive TP threads, you are reminded that Trading Post rule xvi says that threads inactive for 30 days can can/will be deleted. Additionally, TP rule xvii informs you that it is your responsibility to monitor your Trading Post thread. Failure to do so can/will result in removal of the thread and possible loss of TP privileges. Don't be "that guy"!
    Ginsue - Admin
    Proud Infidel Since 1965

"Man does a lot better in hardship than he does in ease. He does a lot better in adversity than he does in luxury." - Anonymous WWII Veteran. ~Sep 2018

Ginsue's Feedback

Blog Entries

If you all want to keep deleting the content of your sold/withdrawn/traded/etc. Trading Post threads you need to be aware that I'm going to keep re-adding the content back (yeah, we can do that). Why waste your time and mine by deleting the content?
    Ginsue - Admin
    Proud Infidel Since 1965

Ginsue's Feedback

Blog Entries

Looks like another bump of this thread is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by theGinsue View Post
    If you all want to keep deleting the content of your sold/withdrawn/traded/etc. Trading Post threads you need to be aware that I'm going to keep re-adding the content back (yeah, we can do that). Why waste your time and mine by deleting the content?
    Yes, I personally go in and undelete the content from every Trading Post thread where the member deleted the content of their original post. If you don't want the information seen once the item(s) has sold/been traded/withdrawn, DON'T POST IT IN THE FIRST PLACE. Leaving the content helps other members who are looking to sell/trade or purchase similar items to get an idea of what the market is for said items. By deleting the content you are doing a dis-service to fellow members.

I'm quickly nearing the point where repeat offenders of this will receive a 10 day suspension of their TP privileges (for starters). After all, we're first and foremost a discussion forum and community. If you don't want to show consideration to your fellow community members on your own, we will help you think of them the next time. The rest of the staff and I grow weary of having to constantly make these reminders while showing some kindness and not taking punitive action. Don't expect this to last much longer.
    Ginsue - Admin
    Proud Infidel Since 1965

Ginsue's Feedback

So bumping this with a friendly reminder. You can only bump your ad once every 24 hours, and new or relevant info you need to include should be added to the original sales ad.

DO NOT KEEP ADDING "INFO" JUST TOO KEEP YOUR AD AT THE TOP.

This practice is disrespectful to not only the staff but every member that has current ads pending and follows the site rules.

Any member caught doing so will receive a warning, second time will have TP access removed for 90 days, third occurence member will lose TP access for 1 year.
    Last edited by Mazin; 11-19-2018 at 23:29.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    كفّار
    My Feedback

Blog Entries

Default Coming Soon to a Forum Near You: 30 Day Trading Post Time-Outs

While the man purpose of this site is a DISCUSSION FORUM, few will discount the value of the Trading Post (TP). Unfortunately, the TP is also a logistical nightmare for the staff due to the continuing number of rules and policy violations.

Over the past 9 months to a year the staff has gone out of our way to REPEATEDLY post direction around the site to aid our members in complying with these rules and policies. While we understand that everyone forgets things from time to time, this fails to explain those who repeatedly flaunt the rules/policies. For these members, the only thing that can explain their behavior is that they either don't care to follow the rules or they aren't interested in reading anything here and just want to hock their wares (i.e. TP Trolls).

Because administering the TP remains an endevour akin to herding cats, this is your one and only warning - anyone failing to read this thread/post will still be held accountable to it . ETA: Failure to read this notice will NOT be a positive defense.

TP Rules/Policy violations will be subject to a 30-day ban from the Trading Post. If the staff believes that it's a rare occurance for you to violate the rules and thinks it was a simple mistake you may be lucky enough to simply receive a warning - but don't count on it. If you receive a 30-day TP ban, all of your TP threads will be removed so as to ensure no one tries to discuss those threads while you have no access to them. If you continue to violate the rules/policies after a 30-day ban you can expect either a 6 month or permanent ban from the TP.

For those of you who remember Marlin, he wanted to completely remove the TP from the site. The rest of the site saw the value of a TP and we successfully petitioned to keep it. Value or not though, the TP is a never-ending pain in the ass for the staff to maintain. Every member of the staff has a life outside of this site and when we come here we'd like to be able to enjoy the site instead of spending our precious time cleaning up behind those who think only of themselves.

So, again, before you make your next post in the TP, ensure you know the rules and policies which have been repeatedly posted across the site and ensure you follow those instructions or expect to lose your access to the TP.

GINSUE
    Ginsue - Admin
    Proud Infidel Since 1965

Ginsue's Feedback

I know I don't post very often, and moderate even less, but I have a moment and would like to further clarify what Ginsue is trying to say. If you are the idiot that has been warned multiple times to not try to sell mags over 15 rounds in the TP and continue to post that shit, then you are going to get a time out. If you cannot fathom that you need to show your location in your profile to use the TP, then you are going to get a time out. If you don't have the literacy capability to read and understand you need to identify the FFL to do the transfer in your post, guess what... you get a fucking time out.

I know most of you don't see the traffic and why the Mods get bent over this stuff. Trust me, when some asshole posts mags for the 4th time after being repeatedly warned and explained... These guys are saints. I'd a banned his sorry ass.
    Mom's comin' 'round to put it back the way it ought to be.

Anyone that thinks war is good is ignorant. Anyone that thinks war isn't needed is stupid.

The "Godfather" of COAR Great-Kazoo's Avatar

Finally.......... Thanks Mods.

Waiting for the How do i report my TP post, question.
    The Great Kazoo's Feedback

Ask Yourself: What's more terrifying? Fear or the Frightened .