Close
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Have you figured out how to remove the current hard drive? Some are easy and others...not so easy.

Depending on what you plan to do with it, it might be worthwhile. It won't take much RAM and with an IDE/PATA 2.5" drive, it won't do anything quickly. A new battery would be a deal breaker, so if you do anything with it, it will probably be semi-stationary and used for checking email or posting on COAR15. If you do it, check out some of the lighter Linux distributions like Puppy or Linux Lite.

adepto super vestri ego

My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by def90 View Post
    What operating system are you going to use? There is a chance that if you are installing the latest version of anything that you will not be able to find drivers for all of the components in the laptop.
    I thought of that. I was thinking of something Linux based. All I really want is to be able to make and run a database. If I can play CDs/DVDs that's a bonus. I don't mind no interwebs connection. That way when Skynet becomes....

@cstone - I've removed the hard drive once already just to see if I could do it. It's two panels and five screws. Pretty straight forward. That exercise inspired me to look into this rabbit hole.

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGER View Post
    So YOU'RE the one...LOL
    And only one

Vista was about as good as Win ME imho. It says somthing when even the gov stayed on XP till just about 5 years ago (USDA anyway).

https://www.ubuntu.com/download/flavours
    Last edited by Mazin; 03-13-2018 at 18:23.
    كفّار
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    My Feedback

CCW Instruction available, Pm for more information.

CDOT should have kept with XP since they got hijacked recently. You can do it and for a few bucks it might be worth it. You should see if you can clone your old hard drive to the new one before you go all out and try and reinstall everything.
    Who are you to want to escape a thugs bullet? That is only a personal prejudice, ( Atlas Shrugged)
    "Those that don't watch the old media are uninformed, those that do watch the old media are misinformed." - Mark Twain

Moderator "Doctor" Grey TheGrey's Avatar

I am the one, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Vista and I got along like a house on fire, wheras Windows 8.1-10 is an absolute dumpster fire.
    "We have a blind date with Destiny...and she's ordered the lobster!" - The Shoveler, Mystery Men

Feedback for TheGrey

Grand Master Know It All hobowh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrey View Post
    I am the one, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Vista and I got along like a house on fire, wheras Windows 8.1-10 is an absolute dumpster fire.
    Don't feel bad, I have not liked a windows product since 3.1.1 and I have my original laptop still but it is much older... and the screen is capable of 16 colors lol, oh and it weighs almost 25 pounds. I so wanted one of the retro commodore rereleases for nostalgia but never saw them released just hyped up.
    The Hobo

Quote Originally Posted by hobowh View Post
    Don't feel bad, I have not liked a windows product since 3.1.1 and I have my original laptop still but it is much older... and the screen is capable of 16 colors lol, oh and it weighs almost 25 pounds. I so wanted one of the retro commodore rereleases for nostalgia but never saw them released just hyped up.
    I still have one that was saved from the landfill.
    Never got around to using it since it was out of our families budget to get one.
    Who are you to want to escape a thugs bullet? That is only a personal prejudice, ( Atlas Shrugged)
    "Those that don't watch the old media are uninformed, those that do watch the old media are misinformed." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by DOC View Post
    CDOT should have kept with XP since they got hijacked recently. You can do it and for a few bucks it might be worth it. You should see if you can clone your old hard drive to the new one before you go all out and try and reinstall everything.
    Keeping you stuff backed up so you can move it to another machine is good advice to everybody. I moved everything I wanted off that drive a long time ago. It seems like a lot of people think XP was the apex of Windows operating systems. I liked it better than 7 or 10.

You piqued my curiosity on that one. I sold a Commodore 64 with disk drive, monitor, dot matrix printer, and a plotter printer for $50.00 to a guy back about 1998. It couldn't do much, especially by today's standards, but if you knew how to work the plotter printer you could produce pretty cool drawings/diagrams. I ran into someone who does custom engraving work and uses a C64 to operate the engraver. She puts one job on each cartridge. When it's time to go to work she just plugs it in and goes.

If I had a son he would look like....Ben SideShow Bob's Avatar

You want to talk about old lap crushers, Iíve still got a KayPro 2000 gathering dust in my hoarder space. It still booted up the last time I ran across it, the batteries are flatlined, but it booted up when I disconnected them and hooked up the power supply.
    Last edited by SideShow Bob; 03-16-2018 at 20:56.
    My T.P. wheeling and dealing feedback is here.

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and it stinks more than mine.

Yo Homie, That my chainsaw ?

My 1997 Digital still boots. 192MB of RAM, 1 GB hard drive, Pentium 100. That thing was a rocket, man!
    Light a fire for a man, and he'll be warm for a day, light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life...

Discussion is an exchange of intelligence. Argument is an exchange of
    ignorance. Ever found a liberal that you can have a discussion with?