Close
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Laptop resurrection?

I have an old laptop I'm interested in bringing back to life. It's a Compaq Pressario V2000 that I purchased new around 2004. At the time I had to purchase a high end hardware package to accommodate software for a relational database for school projects. After the Windows OS crashed five/six years ago I experimented with Unbuntu and sort of played with it on and off since then but as the hard drive was shot I never got serious. I've recently got it back out with the idea of putting another database on it for reloading.

What I'm wondering, for the computer folks out there, is, how interchangeable are hard drives? I've looked up the part number and found matching parts from $15.00 to $50.00. Am I good to go as long as the pins match and it fits in the space? I don't want to spend a lot of money on this as I don't know how rough the condition this machine may be in. I figure once I replace the hard drive I can do more diagnostics. Is this do-able or am I better off just getting this machine recycled?

If anyone has better ideas I'm open.

Pretty sure that the V2000 series used the IDE/PATA hdd connection, so you will have to find a 2.5" hard drive that still uses that connector.

They are around, and you can get SSD's for them, but they won't have the performance of a SATA SSD.

Unfortunately, they are still sold for legacy hardware, like yours, and aren't going to be cheap.

Honestly, a laptop from 2004 isn't worth putting money into.
    For your convenience, a link to my Feedback

It might be fun from a "building a tube radio" standpoint, but even if it was high end in 2004, a $250 current laptop will most likely smoke it in terms of performance. IDE hard drives are not hard to come by, but you may have issues trying to find driver software for the other old hardware, particularly if you want to try to upgrade to windows 7/8/10.

Note: I probably have a HD around that I would be willing to donate to the cause...
    Last edited by TFOGGER; 03-13-2018 at 11:19.
    Light a fire for a man, and he'll be warm for a day, light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life...

Discussion is an exchange of intelligence. Argument is an exchange of
    ignorance. Ever found a liberal that you can have a discussion with?

Quote Originally Posted by Grant H. View Post
    Pretty sure that the V2000 series used the IDE/PATA hdd connection, so you will have to find a 2.5" hard drive that still uses that connector.

They are around, and you can get SSD's for them, but they won't have the performance of a SATA SSD.

Unfortunately, they are still sold for legacy hardware, like yours, and aren't going to be cheap.

Honestly, a laptop from 2004 isn't worth putting money into.
    ^This
    I bought a referb Lenovo a 2 years ago for about $250 with a A12 quad cpu and 8gb ram and or another $60 I put a 120 ssd, it takes 15 sec to load.
    Your gonna be spinning your wheels and wasting and money at bringing a old machine back up depending on wh at your trying to accomplish you might not even be able to run certain software's due to spec limits. Also don't forget you have to load the OS on a new HD and that's also added expense if you don't have a copy and I doubt win 7/10 would work on it, Ubuntu will but if your just going to do an intrusion package with Kali I don't see much else working on it
    Last edited by Mazin; 03-13-2018 at 11:22.
    كفّار
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    My Feedback

CCW Instruction available, Pm for more information.

Thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGER View Post
    It might be fun from a "building a tube radio" standpoint, but even if it was high end in 2004, a $250 current laptop will most likely smoke it in terms of performance. IDE hard drives are not hard to come by, but you may have issues trying to find driver software for the other old hardware, particularly if you want to try to upgrade to windows 7/8/10.

Note: I probably have a HD around that I would be willing to donate to the cause...
    It's funny that you mentioned a tube radio. I'm trying to convince my daughter that a crystal set would make a cool science project for school (I might take you up on that offer).

My motives for trying this project are twofold. One, I'm haunted by the words of a professor I had back in the mid 90s. He was a retired Air Force Lt. Colonel who did a lot with missiles. He said that as computers were being developed, scientists believed the world would probably not need more than seven or eight to handle everything we needed. I figure it's a waste to let that computational power go to waste. It doesn't have to go fast, just go. Even a little (This machine will probably spend most of the time in the garage). Two, I'd like to show my daughter that computers can be "fixed" like any other machine. They aren't magical devices and you don't need a wizard's hat to make them work. So, it's kind of personal. Maybe I need to step away...

To simplify my question, if I were to drop something like this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DZBMIK/ref=dp_cerb_3

into my computer, would it work? At least a little? That's just something that popped up as I was looking around. I haven't seriously looked into buying something.

As far as operating systems, I was looking at Ubuntu again. I used an Open Office program to build the database before. I figure I can do that again.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyDrama View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

It's funny that you mentioned a tube radio. I'm trying to convince my daughter that a crystal set would make a cool science project for school (I might take you up on that offer).

My motives for trying this project are twofold. One, I'm haunted by the words of a professor I had back in the mid 90s. He was a retired Air Force Lt. Colonel who did a lot with missiles. He said that as computers were being developed, scientists believed the world would probably not need more than seven or eight to handle everything we needed. I figure it's a waste to let that computational power go to waste. It doesn't have to go fast, just go. Even a little (This machine will probably spend most of the time in the garage). Two, I'd like to show my daughter that computers can be "fixed" like any other machine. They aren't magical devices and you don't need a wizard's hat to make them work. So, it's kind of personal. Maybe I need to step away...

To simplify my question, if I were to drop something like this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DZBMIK/ref=dp_cerb_3

into my computer, would it work? At least a little? That's just something that popped up as I was looking around. I haven't seriously looked into buying something.

As far as operating systems, I was looking at Ubuntu again. I used an Open Office program to build the database before. I figure I can do that again.
    Per the description, yes, that will work. Per the picture, no, it will not. Based on the comments and reviews, I expect the picture is wrong and the description is right.

Given your explanation of why, sure, it'll probably work out, and could be good for teaching your daughter.
    For your convenience, a link to my Feedback

Moderator "Doctor" Grey TheGrey's Avatar

I understand completely! I have my very first laptop from 2008 that I occasionally boot up. It has data on it that I eventually need to transfer to another drive.

It also has Windows Vista on it. I have a real affinity for Vista.
    "We have a blind date with Destiny...and she's ordered the lobster!" - The Shoveler, Mystery Men

Feedback for TheGrey

Pickles; the Camel Kisser Irving's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've got a Roomba that's not taking a charge that you can fix with her. That's a computer AND a robot!
    Last edited by Irving; 03-13-2018 at 14:39.

What operating system are you going to use? There is a chance that if you are installing the latest version of anything that you will not be able to find drivers for all of the components in the laptop.

I think it’s a waste of time, find something else to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrey View Post
    I have a real affinity for Vista.
    So YOU'RE the one...LOL
    Light a fire for a man, and he'll be warm for a day, light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life...

Discussion is an exchange of intelligence. Argument is an exchange of
    ignorance. Ever found a liberal that you can have a discussion with?