Close
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by foxtrot View Post
    To be fair, SSN's are very far from new technology, certainly not digital, and were never intended for the purpose to which they are now applied. I think the missing point is you can utilize a hybrid solution to obtain the benefits of both Manuel "level of effort" voting methods + blockchain ledgers. E.g. a blockchain transaction ledger for the individual voter to provide a fool proof chain of custody and accountability - while still voting using traditional means. Most people would never check their votes - but the 5-10% that do would eliminate a significant portion and several methods of traditional voting fraud.

Lets not fool ourselves, the votes are not counted by pencil scratch hash marks on a notepad. So the vulnerability you fear is already there - only aggravated and compounded by the fact that the Level of Effort needed to make it truly accountable is presently so unobtainable that any manipulation hack on a voting machine or the tallying process is very unlikely to be detected. [It is difficult to hack them and their code is reviewed, but it still can happen] Yet, give users their own accountability ledger for their own vote, and the 5% that check will flip-a-bitch-out and practically revolt if their vote changes from T to H or H to T. There is no gain from the theft of that ledger nor could it be possible to "steal" it from more than a person or two - and even if you did, it would be of no benefit as they would still have access to their own accountability ledger.

Also we cannot compare apples to oranges as the IRS is not using any kind of blockchain technology or anything similar in theory - it's misappropriating using SSN's issued for social welfare before the concept of computer was even a twinkle in a nerds eye. The first five digits of which can be discerned just by where you live. This is inherently as secure as using your phone number. I don't need to get your SSN card to figure out your SSN number - but I would have to physically access your hash to access your voting log - which would achieve no purpose for me, and I still would have go in to vote like existing systems.

People by nature are resistant to any change - even the slightest though.

No, the IRS isn't using the technology but is misusing the tech they have. See my examples above... A person is W-2 will address in CO and SSN verification in CA at the same time. A person is W-2 in CO but submits a return with direct deposit ABA # in NY (at the same time), which doesn't match the ABA/account the taxpayer used last year.

Even Mumbai could figure out how to stop this fraud. Shit, I'll do the work for free, just pay me a 1% commission of all fraud I prevent. I'd be retired in three years!

If the IRS, who has the highest incentive in gov to maintain data integrity because it represent income to FedGov, can't even maintain a digital record of who's who, that tells a story of how well gov can use tech.

So say we hear about people who believe they own their votes, not being able to cast, and what do we do? Call for a transparent audit? Who does it? Gov? If not then individuals have full access to voting records. You really can't have poll watchers anymore unless they have all the data.

You mentioned paper cards with the blockchain "kind of like SSN" which is why I brought it up. Which is even more puzzling because if a person has the root vote on a card it doesn't mean they still own that vote if it's been aggregated or cast. That would be confusing to a lot of people. It would have to be validated when cast and the authority (still don't know how to audit this without violating anonymity) would need to show chain of ownership.

And if it's all publicly auditable what is to stop me from printing as many cards as I can?

Also, the reason BTC works is because "miners" are incented to create and audit transactions. Their payment/profit also protects the integrity of the system because they are paid to do good and not evil. This is what makes it a de-centralized peer supported system.

With value, that works (it's actually Capitalism in action but don't tell the cool kids). With an election between two major parties, it would be inherently collectivized because people are in one camp or the other.
    Fuckin' liberals...

I guess we'll get to see how well it works http://truthinmedia.com/west-virgini...voting-system/
    Modern liberalism is based on the idea that reality is obligated to conform to one's beliefs because; "I have the right to believe whatever I want".

"Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

"Every time something really bad happens, people cry out for safety, and the government answers by taking rights away from good people."
    -Penn Jillette

A World Without Guns <- Great Read!

Possesses Antidote for "Cool" Gman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zundfolge View Post
    I guess we'll get to see how well it works http://truthinmedia.com/west-virgini...voting-system/
    When I think technology, I don't think of West Virginia.
    “Be not intimidated...nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency.
    These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice.”
    John Adams
    Feedback for Gman

Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    When I think technology, I don't think of West Virginia.
    That's what made me think it was an April Fool joke ... but it was dated 3/30.
    Modern liberalism is based on the idea that reality is obligated to conform to one's beliefs because; "I have the right to believe whatever I want".

"Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

"Every time something really bad happens, people cry out for safety, and the government answers by taking rights away from good people."
    -Penn Jillette

A World Without Guns <- Great Read!