Close

Default Just realized I rolled latex over oil-based spray paint

Oops dumb mistake. I'm making a pegboard "nerf wall" for my son's room, so I suppose it's not the end of the world if it eventually has some finish issues, but how screwed am I?

Initially, I thought I could get away with using a couple cans of rustoleum satin spray paint but the finish just wasn't even enough to pass the wife test, so I grabbed a quart of "Olympic One" in a similar color and rolled it on tonight. No, I didn't sand in between, and really don't want to sand it down and start over now. I figured with pegboard it would make a mess with dust/paint clogs in all the holes anyway. If I hadn't already glued on the support frame, I'd just flip it and paint the brown side instead. The spray paint was a "satin" finish but pretty flat and not glossy. Supposedly Olympic One is paint+primer, but it was a budget option.

The rolled-on coat is about dry now, and it looks pretty good so far. I didn't roll it on too thick, and was about to do a 2nd coat just to be sure I didn't miss anything, when I thought to double check the spray cans and realized they were oil-based.

Any guess if this is going to start peeling in a couple weeks, or is there a chance I'm going to be ok here for a while before (if?) I see issues?

If the surface was real clean, it may last a while, but as you already know it will peel.

You may get lucky if the primer component of the latex paint is a bonding primer. Otherwise, sounds like you can't or won't change it now, so why worry? When it peels, just tell your wife you were going for the 'shabby chic' look.
    Math is tough. Let's go shopping!

I like JohnnyEgo's idea.

I read that you can make your own "Shoot-n-See" targets that way. So far, on the two targets I made, the latex has stuck better than advertised.

Yeah, I am hoping that I'll be lucky here, but we'll see. If nothing else, I'll just redo it again at some point I guess. I figure the half-life of anything in a young boys room is probably shorter than usual anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyEgo View Post
    You may get lucky if the primer component of the latex paint is a bonding primer. Otherwise, sounds like you can't or won't change it now, so why worry? When it peels, just tell your wife you were going for the 'shabby chic' look.
    I saw it on "Fixer Upper", thought you'd like it...