Close
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Looks like there is a great deal of flexibility on what constitutes Firearms Training requirements. Here is what is posted on the El Paso County Sherrif's office page:

Firearms Training Requirements
    The applicant must submit with the application the original certificate or a photocopy of the certificate with the instructors original signature, affidavit, or other document from the instructor, school, club, business, organization, or group that conducted or taught the course or class, attesting to the successful completion of the training. All documentation must have been obtained within the 10 years preceding submittal of the application.

The applicant demonstrates competence with a handgun by submitting any of the following:

Evidence of experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competitions or current military service;
    Evidence that, at the time the application is submitted, the applicant is a certified instructor;
    Proof of honorable discharge from a branch of the United States Armed Forces within the three years preceding submittal of the application;
    Proof of honorable discharge from a branch of the United States Armed Forces that reflects pistol qualifications obtained within the ten years preceding submittal of the application;
    A certificate showing retirement from a Colorado law enforcement agency that reflects pistol qualifications obtained within the ten years preceding submittal of the application;
    A training certificate from a handgun training class obtained within the ten years preceding submittal of the application. The applicant shall submit the original training certificate or a photocopy thereof that includes the original signature of the class instructor. To the extent permitted by section 18-12-202 (5), in obtaining a training certificate from a handgun training class, the applicant shall have discretion in selecting which handgun training class to complete.

Found the last point interesting.

Date of my military retirement is outside the 10 year mark, so guess it is time to sign up for a class. Doing a CCW class might not be a bad option since I haven't taken one, plus my son has expressed interest in carrying as well. Magnum's Tactical Move and Shoot class would have more of the "fun" factor.

I am my own action figure
    Blog Entries

There is no requirement to get trained again once you have a permit. Jefferson County dropped the specific days and is now 8 to 3:30 M-F Records Department. Takes about 30 days on average in JeffCO.

You are in the window, get er done.
    Good Shooting, MarkCO

www.CarbonArms.us
    www.crci.org

Appreciate the clarification. The page on the website doesn't clarify one way or another but won't complain about saving the money.

Plinker

Quote Originally Posted by Marine24 View Post
    Doing a CCW class might not be a bad option since I haven't taken one, plus my son has expressed interest in carrying as well. Magnum's Tactical Move and Shoot class would have more of the "fun" factor.
    Magnum's CHP class is the least expensive I've heard of in El Paso County. They (and the Whistling Pines folks) are good people. So far there's still no requirement to actually SHOOT to get CHP certified in this county.

Process was pretty painless. I submitted my paperwork in late Apr and just received my new card a couple of days ago.

Paintball Shooter

Fast very fast

Put my renewal in last week for jeffco.

Grand Master Know It All

Was in talking to them Monday, she said to do it as soon as you possibly can.
    They are running a little slow, and you don't want to get caught in the middle, without.....
    The gene pool needs chlorine.

My jeffco renewal ended up taking just over 6 weeks.

High Power Shooter

Arapahoe County renewal was same day. I walked in, they did whatever they do, and I walked out with my new permit. I was pleasantly surprised. Kudos to them for having a streamlined process.