Close
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Machine Gunner bellavite1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Wheatridge
    Posts
    1,083

    Default Clamp-on muzzle brake for my 308

    I am looking to add a muzzle brake to my Rem 700 SPS tactical.
    The aim is to be able to see my own bullet impact a call my own corrections (I like to be self sufficient).
    My barrel is a 20" NON THREADED factory barrel, and I still have a personal best of 1/3 MOA 3 shot group at 100 yds, so no need to change the barrel as of now.
    Once I decide to go on and change it I will of course use a threaded one, but sounds like a waste of money right now.
    I am a cheap ass, don't fix it if it ain't broken kind of deal...
    So, what is the general wisdom on clamp-on brakes?
    Can I expect a serious improvement in being able to spot my own hits or should I just wait for the time when I replace the barrel with a threaded one and possibly take the leap to an actual suppressor?
    NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

  2. #2
    BUZZKILL
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Aurora
    Posts
    669

    Default

    Don't , have the barrel threaded and put a normal brake on it . Too much tolorance stacking that can lead to baffle strikes and muzzle brake sized projectiles going down range .

  3. #3
    sweet custom title Delfuego's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Englewood
    Posts
    2,398

    Default

    Thread it, and install an APA Little Bastard Brake (or the Fat Bastard).
    Last edited by Delfuego; 05-09-2018 at 10:25.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne-Gretzky View Post
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take

  4. #4
    sweet custom title Delfuego's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Englewood
    Posts
    2,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C Ward View Post
    Don't , have the barrel threaded and put a normal brake on it . Too much tolorance stacking that can lead to baffle strikes and muzzle brake sized projectiles going down range .
    I was waiting for "Get a suppressor!". Hope your healing up, We missed you last weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne-Gretzky View Post
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take

  5. #5
    BUZZKILL
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Aurora
    Posts
    669

    Default

    Suppressors are always preferred , it's just the civil thing to do . Shoulder surgery is getting closer than I want it to .

  6. #6
    Primitive Screwhead Hoser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    KCOS
    Posts
    7,144

    Default

    For sure thread it and add a brake that is compatible with a suppressor. This way you can shoot it with the brake till your can comes in.
    Your life is trite and jaded
    Boring and confiscated
    If that's your best, your best wont do

  7. #7
    Machine Gunner SAnd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoser View Post
    For sure thread it and add a brake that is compatible with a suppressor. This way you can shoot it with the brake till your can comes in.
    If you do this you will also have the added advantage of being able to use a blast shield on the brake.
    Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

  8. #8
    Machine Gunner bellavite1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Wheatridge
    Posts
    1,083

    Default

    Well, I decided to go with the clamp on anyways, at least until it's time to get a new barrel.
    Got me a Witt.
    Preliminary results are very good:
    After adjusting my POI I was actually able to see the impact downrange and be my own spotter.
    No loss of accuracy that I can tell, and the brake did not propel itself downrange.
    For $115 shipped I am a pretty happy camper.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

  9. #9
    Still Hammerhead Fentonite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Edgewater
    Posts
    2,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bellavite1 View Post
    Well, I decided to go with the clamp on anyways, at least until it's time to get a new barrel.
    Got me a Witt.
    Preliminary results are very good:
    After adjusting my POI I was actually able to see the impact downrange and be my own spotter.
    No loss of accuracy that I can tell, and the brake did not propel itself downrange.
    For $115 shipped I am a pretty happy clamper.
    Fixed it for you.

  10. #10
    Machine Gunner bellavite1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Wheatridge
    Posts
    1,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fentonite View Post
    Fixed it for you.
    Well played my friend...
    NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •