Close
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Whomever vows to repeal the antigun laws they passed in the last dictatorship gets my votes.
    Who are you to want to escape a thugs bullet? That is only a personal prejudice, ( Atlas Shrugged)
    "Those that don't watch the old media are uninformed, those that do watch the old media are misinformed." - Mark Twain

Grand Master Know It All CavSct1983's Avatar

From Lopez:
    You're a big Second Amendment advocate, and you support national carry reciprocity. Are there weaponry restrictions you would support, such as attempts to ban semi-automatic weapons? Or do you fear that might be a slippery slope?

No, there aren't any I'd support, and let me tell you why. The Second Amendment is one of the founding principles of what makes America great. And I truly believe the Second Amendment isn't only so that we can protect ourselves from harm, but it's also for us to protect ourselves from a government that may go rogue on us. If the government decides to do something, we should have the ability to defend ourselves with the same amount, or close to the same amount, of weaponry that they have. So I would not look at doing anything that would ban anything. I know a lot of people don't like to hear this, but it truly isn't the weapon. It's the person. If it was the weapon, anybody who walked into a gun store would never come out. We know there are a lot of challenges out there with mental health, and the family structure is facing all kinds of challenges. People are having tough times with trying to understand what life truly means. And I want to have compassion and empathy for those who are suffering — and I want to help them before they get to that point where they feel they no longer need to value human life, theirs or anybody else's. But when we talk about those types of things, I stand behind the Constitution.

I don't like to see people mass-murdered. Nobody does. But we can't weaken the document put together by our founding fathers, because that's really what gives us freedom and liberty. And most people don't understand the true cost of freedom and liberty. It costs a lot. That's why they call America an experiment. And it will go forward as long as people truly believe that they're entitled to freedom and liberty. When they start thinking they're no longer entitled to that, the experiment will start to fail.

On your website's list of major issues, you don't mention either immigration or sanctuary cities. I know you've spoken about being opposed to sanctuary cities. But do you feel some of the other candidates are putting too much of their focus on immigration?

As governor, I need to focus predominantly on issues that apply to the state. Immigration is a federal issue. States don't truly have a lot of say in how the immigration laws of the country are going to be applied or not applied. Sanctuary cities I think are very important, because as a governor, and as a mayor, you're sending a message — and that message is, if you believe in sanctuary cities, you don't believe in the rule of law. You're saying you believe some people among us are entitled to extra protection and extra rights. That's not what America is all about. I'm talking about equality. So I do not support sanctuary cities. I don't have a problem telling people I support legal immigration, not illegal immigration. But those issues aren't truly going to impact the future of the state of Colorado. It's education, small business, the transportation corridors — it's those kinds of things. And if immigration issues are truly having a major impact on the state, I would hope the general assembly and all the elected officials would join me and talk about what we're going to do about it.

There are more important issues as they pertain to quality of life and making sure the governor and the state legislature are making decisions that impact the daily lives of all of us, not just some of us.

http://www.westword.com/news/greg-lo...rview-10228012
    My Feedback
    "
    "The exception has become the rule, and that is the worst of all possible tyrannies."
    G.K. Chesterton, Illustrated London News, November 21, 1914"

I like Lopez, but I suspect it will be Stapleton. But maybe Lopez is the darkhorse Colorado needs.

Mitchell says a lot of good stuff but he strikes me as just another Perot ... a wealthy businessman out there pissing in the wind. I expect he'd lose by double digits against The Sodomite. Same goes for Robinson (except that I never hear anything from him because apparently he's only campaigning in the DMA).

I am pleasantly surprised that there are no downright idiots running this time for the GOP slot (although if someone here has evidence one or more of the candidates is an idiot, I'm all ears).

Quote Originally Posted by DOC View Post
    Whomever vows to repeal the antigun laws they passed in the last dictatorship gets my votes.
    I believe all 4 of them have given lip service to rolling back the antigun laws ... but I think they know that if they make too big an issue of that, the'll lose the Denver Metro Area. I also have no idea how committed they would be to doing so and lastly, the R's have to take the house and senate too in order for repeals to make it to his desk.
    Modern liberalism is based on the idea that reality is obligated to conform to one's beliefs because; "I have the right to believe whatever I want".

"Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

"Every time something really bad happens, people cry out for safety, and the government answers by taking rights away from good people."
    -Penn Jillette

A World Without Guns <- Great Read!

Grand Master Know It All CavSct1983's Avatar

Colorado has the 5th largest population of Mexican-Americans in the US. So, he should swing some typical Dems over for that reason. Plus, I just cannot see Hispanics voting en masse for Polis, given his lifestyle. Lopez is the strongest in his language on the 2nd Amendment. As you say, it will have to get through the house and senate for anyone to do anything in a gubernatorial fashion. I think that as far as swing voters and bringing over Dems, Lopez is it. I think he can get out there and if he does a good job of hitting up the Hispanic community, explaining his positions, he has the gravitas necessary to help them realize the Dems are screwing them.

Stapleton is white bread and boring, with canned views imo. He represents an easy loss for the Republicans at the non-primary level. He won't bring anyone over, and I don't think he has the ability to shift swing voters. He's got that dad jeans and plaid button-up sort of vibe that is going to convince no one but the choir.

Mitchell is a no-go for me due to his rape, incest, life of the mother BS on abortion. Kick sand, yankee. Go back to NY. He's very business focused, but that worries me more than convinces me of anything good.
    My Feedback
    "
    "The exception has become the rule, and that is the worst of all possible tyrannies."
    G.K. Chesterton, Illustrated London News, November 21, 1914"

Witness Protection Reject rondog's Avatar

I just hope that silly twat Donna Lynne doesn't get ANY votes.
    There's a lot more of us ugly mf'ers out here than there are of you pretty people!

- Frank Zappa

Scrotum Diem - bag the day!

Paintball Shooter

I doubt I'll receive either ballot. I'm registered with the Constitution Party ... but as soon as The Federalist Party is recognized in Colorado I'm switching.

Here are my thoughts after suffering through the charade of a "debate" on 9News.

Any one of these men would be better than Polis as governor. (Even Doug Robinson, who I think was the weaniest of these four.)

a) Kyle Clark is a jerk. I would throw him out of my house if he ever showed-up for any reason. His presumed moral superiority (which is unwarranted) is nauseating.

b) The few times this TV production turned into an actual debate ... Clark and Rittiman immediately shut it down. Stupid.

c) Stapleton has facility with numbers. (Duh! He's the Treasurer.)

d) Lopez seems to strike the best tone of the four ... with Mitchell a close 2nd.

e) Kyle Clark is a jerk.

In closing, any one of these men would be better than Polis as governor.

This state needs an enema. The Joker.
    Who are you to want to escape a thugs bullet? That is only a personal prejudice, ( Atlas Shrugged)
    "Those that don't watch the old media are uninformed, those that do watch the old media are misinformed." - Mark Twain

Haven’t gotten a ballot yet. Probably vote Lopez though.

“Don’t go slow, be careful” Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Tory View Post
    I doubt I'll receive either ballot. I'm registered with the Constitution Party ...
    Yeah, I was registered with that party, didn't get anything, so I've gone and switched to Unaffiliated out of curiosity if I'll receive a ballot now (since I think I'm doing this before the deadline). If not, no big.

Paintball Shooter

Anybody but democrats - Glad to be able to vote in a primary finally