Close
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    The "Godfather" of COAR Great-Kazoo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OneGuy67 View Post
    Other than for hunting purposes, why are we discussing riveting magazines?
    No reason other than the OP concerned about greater than 15 rd mags. As already mentioned, UNLESS there's a date stamp of 7/13 or newer, there's nothing LE or a DA can do. The burden of proof is on them to show you didn't have possession prior to 7/13.

If it's the sterling mags being an issue. Which i don't know why anyone would want to alter a mag that's not a low budget item. You can use standard USGI mags and notch out a mag catch relief on any decent mag and alter them.
    Last edited by Great-Kazoo; 08-03-2018 at 13:48.
    The Great Kazoo's Feedback

Ask Yourself: What's more terrifying? Fear or the Frightened .

Paper Hunter

It is a discussion how someone could be in compliance with the letter of the law.

Lets take a different example.

Lets say a person has a certain amount of Magpul 308 AR mags. But as there were not a lot available before the ban, the person doesnt have "enough" of them (i mean who every has "enough" mags?). So the option is to get a 10 round mag. But the person wants as many round as possible. So a solution is buy a 20 rounder (with the molding date on it) and then block off 5 round permanently. Then the person has a legal 15 round magazine.

But how does one "permanently modify it" and how would one go about legally acquiring the parts to make a legal magazine from a higher capacity magazine. The 20 round mag is not legal to transfer until it is a 15 round magazine. So by the letter of law it seems the only way to do it would to not buy a magazine but to buy components, modify the components, and then assemble to complete magazine into a 15 round magazine.

I guess some of the question is what do people do to comply if they want to buy magazines that were manufacturer after the ban? Or maybe someone buys a gun for which the manufacturer did not the gun/magazines before 2013?

Paper Hunter

option #17.

Someone has too much time to worry about trivial matters....

Paper Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Great-Kazoo View Post
    No reason other than the OP concerned about greater than 15 rd mags. As already mentioned, UNLESS there's a date stamp of 7/13 or newer, there's nothing LE or a DA can do. The burden of proof is on them to show you didn't have possession prior to 7/13.
    I guess I also have some level of distrust. I could see some overzealous LE in one of the occupied city/counties (or even as non official policy) arresting/charging first knowing they wont win, but that on the street you lose and will have legal fees later.

Example. Look at Lori Sain. No charges were filed, but she got to spend 30 some hours becoming antiquated with the Denver County Jail.

Grand Master Know It All

Alternatively there's an extremely simple chain of case law you can follow that makes you completely exempt from the law. Legally.

Paper Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Wulf202 View Post
    Alternatively there's an extremely simple chain of case law you can follow that makes you completely exempt from the law. Legally.
    An FFL?

The "Godfather" of COAR Great-Kazoo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DDT951 View Post
    It is a discussion how someone could be in compliance with the letter of the law.

Lets take a different example.

Lets say a person has a certain amount of Magpul 308 AR mags. But as there were not a lot available before the ban, the person doesnt have "enough" of them (i mean who every has "enough" mags?). So the option is to get a 10 round mag. But the person wants as many round as possible. So a solution is buy a 20 rounder (with the molding date on it) and then block off 5 round permanently. Then the person has a legal 15 round magazine.

But how does one "permanently modify it" and how would one go about legally acquiring the parts to make a legal magazine from a higher capacity magazine. The 20 round mag is not legal to transfer until it is a 15 round magazine. So by the letter of law it seems the only way to do it would to not buy a magazine but to buy components, modify the components, and then assemble to complete magazine into a 15 round magazine.

I guess some of the question is what do people do to comply if they want to buy magazines that were manufacturer after the ban? Or maybe someone buys a gun for which the manufacturer did not the gun/magazines before 2013?
    They buy a 10 or 15 round magazine.

You don't need to be in any form of compliance, at all. UNLESS, Again, you happen to be in possession of mags with a date stamp of 7/13 or newer, try selling greater than 15 round mags to an undercover LE, or media outlet looking to show how many laws gun owners are breaking.

You're over thinking something that isn't worth the time worrying about.

HOWEVER. IF you're that obsessed with some over zealous LE locking you up. Send/ sell me your mags since i no longer reside in CO.

Which leads to my next question. How da fuk is a LE going to be handling / examining any magazine or firearm you have possession of ? When we all know (or should) the second response to any LE after how can i help you officer is..........................NO you may not search my vehicle, or No i do not consent to a search .

No One (to my knowledge) from this gun forum, is able to buy or transfer in to the state ANY magazine that holds greater than 15 rounds. Or are there gun stores that would sell you one.
    Curious why you're asking the same or similar question you asked sometime back. At that time i "believe" the answers were the same. There a reason why you're wanting or looking for someone to potentially break the law?
    The Great Kazoo's Feedback

Ask Yourself: What's more terrifying? Fear or the Frightened .

Paper Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Great-Kazoo View Post
    There a reason why you're wanting or looking for someone to potentially break the law?
    Exactly the opposite. I want to be in compliance with any new mags.

But we know that you can go to almost any gun show, and there are modified magazines to lower capacity. Even the law says they can be lowered and then legal.

Where I am stuck is the "technicality" of how one would have a post '13 mag and lower the capacity. I 100% agree the chances are low anyone would look.

The problem I see being in compliance with the law is a timing one. After they are lowered they are legal. But before they are not. My question is more of a "how" to do this legally. Or maybe it is impossible for someone in state to do it and the reduced capacity magazines are made out of state and then shipped in. That they way I see it legally able to happen.

There are companies that sell standard capacity magazines and will permanently block the magazines to comply with Colorado and other states laws before shipping them to you.

the other option is to buy the individual parts and block the magazine body before assembling, the law states that no one shall make or assemble a magazine over 15 rounds. If you block it before assembling it you have never made/assembled or possessed a magazine over 15 rounds.
    Last edited by def90; 08-04-2018 at 06:19.

Paper Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by def90 View Post
    the other option is to buy the individual parts and block the magazine body before assembling, the law states that no one shall make or assemble a magazine over 15 rounds. If you block it before assembling it you have never made/assembled or possessed a magazine over 15 rounds.
    I think this is what I am wondering if it is "legal" for an individual to do it.

Nothing like trying to navigate ambiguous laws.