Close
    Smells Like Carp

Default Check your Buffers

Shooter at the last tactical Match had a malfunction which caused a DNF due to a aftermarket tungsten buffer fell apart. It was a buffer without a cross pin to secure the end cap. The end plug was secured with fine threads. I'm guessing the device unscrewed then stripped the threads. We couldn't get the parts together again.
    If you have a unpinned buffer i'd give it a second thought.
    I like sex, drugs and automatic weapons. That's why i'm a dues paying member of the Libertarian party. Struggling to keep the government away from messing with the above.
    My Wife has her own vice.

At least my tag is unmolested spqrzilla's Avatar

cropped buffer.jpg

This is the bugger ... err ... buffer that failed on me. When it came apart it jammed the buffer spring such that the bolt would not come back far enough to pick up a round.
    "37. There is no 'overkill.' There is only 'open fire' and 'reload.'" 70 Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

The "Godfather" of COAR Great-Kazoo's Avatar

use a thread chaser to clean up those threads and some blue lt. Unless you're happy with the buffer weight, then go with red loctite.
    The Great Kazoo's Feedback

Imagination is the only Weapon, in the War Against Reality

JB Weld was suggested. And I considered it since I did not have any JB Weld anywhere on the rifle. And we know what bad luck that is.

But no, its in the trash and already replaced.
    Last edited by spqrzilla; 11-01-2018 at 21:10.
    "37. There is no 'overkill.' There is only 'open fire' and 'reload.'" 70 Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

Im curious, how often this kind of failure occurs, anyone?
    - winning is more than wanting to

Blog Entries

Default Check your Buffers

I?d guess it?s a fairly rare occurrence or you?d likely hear a lot more about it.

My guess on the one above is that it must have backed off a fuzz in the threaded area and repeated hammering from the bolt carrier and the buffer weights destroyed the threads.

I honestly didn?t know the body of those things was two pieces. I assumed they were a solid piece and the weights were stuffed in from the back.

People say nothing is impossible but I do nothing every day.
    My Feedback

Id never heard of this failure or seen the inside before so I was super curious at the match. I make effort to look at and mind every variant of make & manufacture for parts I happen to see; I've noted the pin in most & in retrospect a few without. I'm suprised that it never would have occured to me to only have a pinned buffer, save now. Yep. I checked & I'm good.

Silly me
    - winning is more than wanting to

Smells Like Carp

Learn a little each match. I found a better sling on ChickNorris's rifle.
    I like sex, drugs and automatic weapons. That's why i'm a dues paying member of the Libertarian party. Struggling to keep the government away from messing with the above.
    My Wife has her own vice.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickNorris View Post
    Im curious, how often this kind of failure occurs, anyone?
    I've never seen a buffer fail.

I've had castle nuts get loose though!
    RATATATATATATATATATATABLAM

If there's nothing wrong with having to show an ID to buy a gun, there's nothing wrong with having to show an ID to vote.

Quote Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
    My guess on the one above is that it must have backed off a fuzz in the threaded area and repeated hammering from the bolt carrier and the buffer weights destroyed the threads.

I honestly didn?t know the body of those things was two pieces. I assumed they were a solid piece and the weights were stuffed in from the back.
    That's what it looked like to me as well. The threads looked stripped. No idea however as I had not handled that buffer for awhile so no opportunity to notice.

I've had castle nuts get loose though!
    You said you would not call me that anymore.