Close
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_K View Post
    Are you looking for a fancy barrel? Or a standard run of the mill one? Love that undercut and texture job, what?s your secret?

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.
    ‭‭1 Timothy‬ ‭2:5‬ ‭
    It will be getting a fancy barrel. Just because.

As far as my frame work, there is no secret. Watched some videos, did a little practice on some old magazine bodies I had laying around and then just went for it.

People say nothing is impossible but I do nothing every day.
    My Feedback

Blog Entries

Default Laser stippling?

So, I picked up the frame that I was having some laser work done on. This wasn?t a fancy job but the price was reasonable and since I wasn?t looking for a full blown custom job it fit the bill. This was done on a stock, Gen 3 frame and didn?t require and prep work. The texture is some sort of dot type pattern I believe but looks very similar to a checkered type finish. It gives a much better grip than the factory provides but isn?t rough on the hands. I think it would be very serviceable on a daily carry piece without being overly aggressive and without breaking the bank.

If you like the work give Shooter Ready a call. The turnaround time was very reasonable and while it was a little more than the cost of a set of stick on grips these won?t ever peel or need to be replaced.

Last edited by ray1970; 12-27-2018 at 15:54.

My Feedback

Grand Master Know It All CavSct1983's Avatar

Just to confirm, this was laser and not traditional stippling?
    My Feedback
    "
    "The exception has become the rule, and that is the worst of all possible tyrannies."
    G.K. Chesterton, Illustrated London News, November 21, 1914"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CavSct1983 View Post
    Just to confirm, this was laser and not traditional stippling?
    Yes. Shooter Ready up on the north side of town has a new machine and is in the learning stage. He showed me a basic one he had done and let me handle it. I liked the look and feel and when he threw me a price I left one of my frames with him to do something similar.

Like I said, it?s a basic job that doesn?t require any sanding or other type of preparation to the frame. The frame is stock and is simply chucked up in the laser machine and cut. The front and back straps sort of look a little funky from different angles since the laser texture is applied directly over the existing factory texture but it feels good in the hand and since the frame isn?t sanded smooth first it saves quite a bit of time as well as cost.

He is working on doing fancier stuff but the basic pattern I had done with no frame preparation is very serviceable.

This particular frame is getting built into a basic long slide pistol and I just wanted a better grip while keeping it simple and functional and I feel this job met my requirements.

He showed me one he was working on with a similar texture but done on a frame that had been sanded smooth first and it was pretty nice.

My Feedback

Paper Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
    Yes. Shooter Ready up on the north side of town has a new machine and is in the learning stage. He showed me a basic one he had done and let me handle it. I liked the look and feel and when he threw me a price I left one of my frames with him to do something similar.

Like I said, it?s a basic job that doesn?t require any sanding or other type of preparation to the frame. The frame is stock and is simply chucked up in the laser machine and cut. The front and back straps sort of look a little funky from different angles since the laser texture is applied directly over the existing factory texture but it feels good in the hand and since the frame isn?t sanded smooth first it saves quite a bit of time as well as cost.

He is working on doing fancier stuff but the basic pattern I had done with no frame preparation is very serviceable.

This particular frame is getting built into a basic long slide pistol and I just wanted a better grip while keeping it simple and functional and I feel this job met my requirements.

He showed me one he was working on with a similar texture but done on a frame that had been sanded smooth first and it was pretty nice.

It seems that shooter ready is using an Nd:YAG laser from what I can tell by their web page.

From the pictures it is hard to tell if they are melting the plastic or ablating it with the laser.

Now I am completely intrigued as to how they are doing it.

Blog Entries

It's magic.

Seriously, all I know is lasers burn or melt plastic. Maybe.

Swing by and check out his setup some time. It's a big, fancy sumbitch.

Also, you're more than welcome to look at the frame he did for me in person. I only have one kid living in Longmont right now so I don't get up there as often as I used to.

My Feedback