Close
    Machine Gunner

Default Thread adapter with suppressors and concentricity

So I've got an optimus that I used on 308, 223 and 9mm. I recently built a 9mm carbine but due to sales got a 1/2x36 barrel instead of 1/2x28. I used the taper mount system on everything and dont really want to drop the coin to convert to 3 lug on this one. Griffin makes a taper mount flash hider for 9mm in 1/2x28 so I'm wondering if anyone has experience using a thread adapter like Kaw precision uses and if stacking the tolerances with the adapter plus flash hider plus suppressor is a likely concentricity problem.

Grand Master Know It All CavSct1983's Avatar

I use thread adapters on all my rifles <30cal for my direct thread .30 cal suppressor, and have not experienced any issues.

I suppose it would depend on the variance from part to part and whether or not the +/- was out of your favor.

Could always take it to a competent machinist or gunsmith set up to diagnose such things and have them check it out before you send the first round.
    My Feedback
    "
    "The exception has become the rule, and that is the worst of all possible tyrannies."
    G.K. Chesterton, Illustrated London News, November 21, 1914"

WOODSMITH

No issues here. Out of an abundance of caution, I looked down the barrel to make certain I wouldn't hit the can the first 10 or 15 times I attached the can with it.
    "It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your ignorance"

Thomas Sowell

www.timkulincabinetry.com

See our reviews below:

http://www.thumbtack.com/Tim-Kulin-C...service/788419

I have an adapter on my SBR scorpion and run my form 1 suppressor with no issues. Im pretty sure I’ve only shot it suppressed since brand new and never had any issues in the 1000+ rounds.
    "But when it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark; and brother, it's startin' to rain."

I had to do the multiple adapter thing a while back. It took 3 or 4 tries to get a good alignment. I would put them together, check it and find it not aligned, then take them apart , shift things and reassemble the check it a again. Eventually it came out right.

Ark Tactical has some alignment rods to check. I'm not sure of what calibers they have though.

Good luck.
    Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Machine Gunner

Thanks all. It saves about $120 to do it that way and makes it universal to my system. I'll give it a go and get an alignment rod if needed. Does passing the eye test typically mean it's good to go or is a rod more vital?

The alignment rod provides absolute proof positive of alignment/misalignment.
    Geisslle makes good 5.56 and 30 cal rods.
    That being said I have used the eyeball method plenty of times with no issue, as long as you can see a clear bore with no shadows/crescents you are typically ok.
    Leftists have stacked mountains of skulls in the 20th century......what makes you think they are any different now?
    It's 1932 again and Conservatives are the new Jew

MOLON LABE

Machine Gunner

Quote Originally Posted by BPTactical View Post
    The alignment rod provides absolute proof positive of alignment/misalignment.
    Geisslle makes good 5.56 and 30 cal rods.
    That being said I have used the eyeball method plenty of times with no issue, as long as you can see a clear bore with no shadows/crescents you are typically ok.
    Thanks bert!