Close
    Grand Master Know It All CavSct1983's Avatar

Default Decisions - PA Platinum 1-8 griff mil or NF NX8 or NF ATACR

So I'm in a decision pickle...
    I'm most likely moving away from my NF 4-14 f1 depending on how this new build works w/ accuracy proofing using the 4-14.

I'd like to go to a 1-8x FFP so I can use at 1x as needed, but still retain DMR style abilities out to the acceptable limit of a 5.56.

Not considering Vortex, Kahles, Minox, Leupold, etc. for various feature reasons (reticle isn't what I want, no 1-8, illumination not bright enough, or has known issues with 1x view, etc.). On that note, Leupold needs to have a company drug test. The CQBSS w/ H27D is an absurd MSRP.

That leaves 3 options w/ current market offerings as far as I can tell.

I've laid out what I'm seeing, below. Feel free to offer thoughts. I know at least a few of you here have the NX8. Not sure if anyone has the PA Platinum series or ATACR.
    Most reports I've found on SnipersHide, Arfcom, and a few other sites all seem favorable.

Choices:
    PA Platinum 1-8 griffin mil reticle: https://www.primaryarms.com/pa-plati...in-mil-reticle
    Pros -
    * 1-8, w/ reports of good 1x being true
    * A lot of good reports on glass, repeatability, etc.
    * Made at LOW like a lot of good scopes; not Chinese and Filipino crap.
    * Reticle is what I'm looking for (xmas tree style w/ good center dot for 1x); actually has 4 more mils to hold over than ATACR or NX8
    * Could literally buy 2 for the price of the ATACR and still have money left over for a mount; would just stick extra in storage until needed. ~$416 less than NX8
    Cons -
    * Reticle utilizes that stupid ACOG style chevron, which makes smaller targets >100 and <300 (or wherever the ballistics would fall within that chevron's path) a pain. Could circumvent by dialing, but that shouldn't be made necessary by poor design. This might be a non-issue depending on how I play around w/ zero distance and where that places the chevron in the flight path.
    * Heavy. Very heavy at 26.9oz before adding mount.
    Neutral - PA's warranty is same as NF's.
    NF NX8
    Pros -
    * Good 1x reports
    * daylight bright illumination
    * Not as expensive as the ATACR (like... 1k cheaper)
    * Pretty lightweight at 17oz, compared to ATACR and PA option
    * Battery life is supposedly 96 hours, which is better than the ~29 hours I've heard on the ATACR; I'd assume that rating is max power? I dunno.
    Cons -
    * Reticle is stupid. No wind hold points at all below horizontal stadia. If this had the ATACR's reticle, it would be a no-brainer.
    * Center dot is 0.35mil/1.25MOA; not sure why they did this when the outer dot is sufficient for 1x work and this is too thick for good 8x work.
    * .2 mil adjustments. Why, why, why.
    NF ATACR 1-8
    Pros -
    * Reticle, like the PA option, is EXACTLY what I'm looking for.
    * Good 1x reports
    * Anyone got anything else?

Cons -
    * Expensive. Very expensive. Did I mention expensive?
    * Center dot is 0.35mil/1.25MOA; not sure why they did this when the outer dot is sufficient for 1x work and this is too thick for good 8x work.
    * .2 mil adjustments. Why, why, why.
    * Low hours for battery life, supposedly.
    * 21oz, so not super light
    My Feedback
    "
    "The exception has become the rule, and that is the worst of all possible tyrannies."
    G.K. Chesterton, Illustrated London News, November 21, 1914"

Go to Mile High and you can check out the NF. They are good folks up there, might even have a deal running.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne-Gretzky View Post
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take

WOODSMITH

I have the NF NX8. Love it. It's tiny compared to most other scopes in this power range.

I've had it out to 500 yards. I dial for elevation past 300, so the reticle is fine for me. I was worried the dot would be too big, also. In use, it's proven to be a non issue. It would be difficult to engage a 1 MOA target with great precision, but I have other rifles and scopes for that purpose.

The .2 mil adjustments irk me as well. Getting a zero is an exercise in compromise. However and again, in use it's irrelevant. I use this scope for faster shooting against larger targets, and it's great for that.

I'd say it's effective for targets in the 2.5-3 MOA size and larger.

I'm toying with the idea of buying the Atacr, too. The reticle is obviously better, but the size and weight would be hard to get used to after the NX8.

I'm not so far from you. Feel free to drive up and take a peek.
    "It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your ignorance"

Thomas Sowell

www.timkulincabinetry.com

See our reviews below:

http://www.thumbtack.com/Tim-Kulin-C...service/788419

TimK has all the fun toys.

Poit
    - winning is more than wanting to

Grand Master Know It All CavSct1983's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    I have the NF NX8. Love it. It's tiny compared to most other scopes in this power range.

I've had it out to 500 yards. I dial for elevation past 300, so the reticle is fine for me. I was worried the dot would be too big, also. In use, it's proven to be a non issue. It would be difficult to engage a 1 MOA target with great precision, but I have other rifles and scopes for that purpose.

The .2 mil adjustments irk me as well. Getting a zero is an exercise in compromise. However and again, in use it's irrelevant. I use this scope for faster shooting against larger targets, and it's great for that.

I'd say it's effective for targets in the 2.5-3 MOA size and larger.

I'm toying with the idea of buying the Atacr, too. The reticle is obviously better, but the size and weight would be hard to get used to after the NX8.

I'm not so far from you. Feel free to drive up and take a peek.
    I'll probably have to do that once I do the proof test on accuracy for the build.

I actually saw your report on the NX8 on SH, so I knew at least that one report wasn't the result of "I spent money so it must be good!" one so often sees on SH. You, Hoser, and a few others are definitely folks I trust on reviews.
    My Feedback
    "
    "The exception has become the rule, and that is the worst of all possible tyrannies."
    G.K. Chesterton, Illustrated London News, November 21, 1914"