Close
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I'm the OPie of this thread Irving's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Will the supreme Court rule on civil forfeiture?

This article suggests the supreme Court may rule on civil forfeiture.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...orfeiture.html
    Minimize, minimize, minimize.

High Power Shooter

Civil forfeiture needs to be eliminated at all levels.

Fleeing Idaho to get IKEA Bailey Guns's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't know that I'd go that far ^^. On the other hand, forfeiture has become one of those useful tools that's been grossly misused in some instances.

As usual, it's really not the idea that's bad, it's how that idea is administered.

I would agree that it needs to be reigned in to a great degree and forfeiture should be allowed only in limited circumstances.
    Stella - my best girl ever.
    11/04/1994 - 12/23/2010

"America First!"
    This message brought to you by Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey Guns View Post
    I don't know that I'd go that far ^^. On the other hand, forfeiture has become one of those useful tools that's been grossly misused in some instances.

As usual, it's really not the idea that's bad, it's how that idea is administered.

I would agree that it needs to be reigned in to a great degree and forfeiture should be allowed only in limited circumstances.
    Agree. It should have very limited application. I foolishly believed when I first heard of it that it would be used against drug cartels and the like.

Grand Master Know It All CavSct1983's Avatar

While it's true that abuse does not take away use, abuse as a foundational premise does not legitimize use, either.
    My Feedback
    "
    "The exception has become the rule, and that is the worst of all possible tyrannies."
    G.K. Chesterton, Illustrated London News, November 21, 1914"

Blog Entries

In the past I've voted locally to increase funding for police departments. I don't think I'll ever do that again as long as civil forfeiture is an option. I suppose if local law enforcement were to ask for money in the future by running a campaign of transparency illustrating how they don't steal from the public that'd be different, but I won't be holding my breath. For the record, whenever I think about civil forfeiture, I never think of it in a local sense, usually assuming it's rampant elsewhere or with national agencies, but think globally, act locally and all that.

Grand Master Know It All 68Charger's Avatar

The basic question should be- does it violate the 4th?

What constitutes "reasonable" seizure? IMHO, it should be reserved for cases where the assets would pose an immediate threat to the public (such as a suitcase full of cash you have "reasonable" proof that would be used to fund terrorism)

It has clearly been abused- one way to stop that abuse would be to forbid the seizing department from retaining the assets... but I'm sure some bad apples would find ways around that, too.
    The basic root of the issue is the 4th- stop trying to figure out what to do with assets that were illegally seized in the first place.

There should also be heavy penalties written into the laws around forfeiture so if determined to be an illegal seizure, then the department pays (and a LOT).
    Last edited by 68Charger; 11-29-2018 at 08:14.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ, we are the III%, CIP2, and some other catchphrase meant to aggravate progreSSives who are hell bent on taking rights away...

Glock Armorer for sexual favors Jer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eric P View Post
    Civil forfeiture needs to be eliminated at all levels.
    I couldn't agree more. No gray area. No exceptions.

You want someone's shit?

Get proof that they're doing something wrong and get a conviction. It's called due process and we're all entitled to it as US citizens.

That's too hard? Tough shit. My freedom doesn't take a backseat to someone who doesn't have enough evidence.
    I'm not fat, I'm tactically padded.
    Tactical Commander - Fast Action Response Team (F.A.R.T.)
    For my feedback Click Here.
    Click: For anyone with a dog or pets, please read

Blog Entries

Yeah but drugs are bad and people who do them deserve death and all their property stolen.

Witness Protection Reject rondog's Avatar

The mere idea that a citizen can't go around with a few thousand bucks in his pocket because the cops can legally just take it away "because it's suspicious" is just ludicrous. Defies EVERYTHING that's right, honest and just. A perfect example of a police state policy.
    There's a lot more of us ugly mf'ers out here than there are of you pretty people!

- Frank Zappa

Scrotum Diem - bag the day!