Close
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    High Power Shooter

I had this happen to me a few weeks ago. I was replacing the changing the airbags to coils on my wifes GX470, I had two jack stand under the frame, a third set off to the side and the jack under the receiver hitch. The wheels were chocked, I thought I was safe. Some how, the whole car went sideways landing on top of me. Thank goodness I left the tires on or I wouldnt be here. The wife came out a couple minutes after it happened while I was still under the car. Talk about a helpless feeling. I was able to inch my way out from under it. I used cribbing to finish the job. The tird jack stand caught the running board, and I think that is what helped keep it from crushing me. It still gave me a heck of a chest compression. Not only have jack stands, but if possible, have someone there with you, NOT under the vehicle.
    Last edited by encorehunter; 12-06-2018 at 10:03.

^ WOW, that is scary

Good friends father passed the same way 2-3 years ago. Alone, at home, vehicle fell, etc.

I second encorehunter's suggestion: ALWAYS have someone around when you are working under a vehicle. And make sure they know how to use a hydraulic jack (and where it is). If worse comes to worse, it is highly survivable, but ONLY if someone is there to call 911 and immediately get the weight off you. Little worry of them not noticing as a vehicle falling isn't usually too quiet.

Even with all the safety precautions and with a feeling of total safety weird stuff can happen every now and then. Make sure you don't die a slow death suffocating alone under a car.

ETA: Also if your spouse, it would be good to give them quick refreshers before you begin work, if it's been a few months. E.g. here it is, twist this way to shut off the valve, pump it like this. Cool?

Possesses Antidote for "Cool" Gman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mercula View Post
    Very sorry to hear also. Avoidable accidents are always the toughest to swallow.
    I always slide whatever wheels I have off under too even if I have stands set, something my old man taught me.
    Seemed to stick with me.
    I?ll even lower it onto stands , and reposition the jack somewhere else with slight pressure.
    That's a good 'belt and suspenders' approach.

The buddy system is also good insurance.
    Last edited by Gman; 12-06-2018 at 10:44.
    "Be not intimidated...nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency.
    These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice."
    ― John Adams
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts."
    Winston Churchill

I'm the OPie of this thread Irving's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Do you guys rock your vehicle once it's up on stands? I don't have that nice of vehicles so I usually kick mine a few times.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NFzEW8rSWc

Grand Master Know It All CavSct1983's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Irving View Post
    Do you guys rock your vehicle once it's up on stands? I don't have that nice of vehicles so I usually kick mine a few times.
    A buddy of mine will give it a few good kicks/shoves from different angles to test before he crawls under.

It's not just being under the vehicle totally either. Even just a simple brake change and the rotor coming down on a leg is bad news.

I would encourage all to look up Col. Mike Mullane's presentation on the "Normalization of Deviance" on YouTube.
    My Feedback
    "
    "The exception has become the rule, and that is the worst of all possible tyrannies."
    G.K. Chesterton, Illustrated London News, November 21, 1914"

Machine Gunner

Sorry to hear this. Always use jackstands and always have a person or two there to assist you just incase something goes wrong.

Machine Gunner

I use the wheel chocks, vehicle weight on stands, jack still in position with some weight. Try not to be completely under vehicle.

Witness Protection Reject rondog's Avatar

In high school in '73, my Chevelle fell on me. I was using cinder blocks for jack stands and they crushed. I was lucky though, the block on the side I was under only crushed halfway and held the car up enough for me to slide out.

I can still remember the feeling of the crossmember smashing me in the face. Smashed the right lens of my glasses into my face, I have a bitchin' scar around my right eye.

So now, I have a monster 3 ton floor jack and the best damn jack stands I could find. Still gives me the willies to get under a vehicle.
    There's a lot more of us ugly mf'ers out here than there are of you pretty people!

- Frank Zappa

Scrotum Diem - bag the day!

Grand Master Know It All MrPrena's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Pook View Post
    Sad for your friend/co worker.

I hate getting under anything that is lifted off the ground. Done it many times and still have issues with it. Too many variables.
    Same here. I work on my own vehicles (asian,us to euros) and I still dont feel 100% comfortable under the vehicle even with extra safety features as a backup.

I try not to spend time under the vehicle when it is not necessary.

For that, I might invest in low profile mechanic roller thing.