Close
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I think you have it all figured out, I bought three of those that were bolted to a wall in a restaurant for 50 years. I attempted to take all the best parts and make one complete rifle and sell off the rest of the parts. My problem (that you do not have) is I did not have a decent stock. I ended up giving up and selling all parts. The funny thing is- those stocks are crazy rare but they?re not really in demand. It will shoot commercial ammo but unfortunately the rifle isn?t worth too much. Neat piece of history though.

If I had a son he would look like....Ben SideShow Bob's Avatar

Only thing that know about that rifle is that they were selling well south of a $100 dollar bill in the mid to late 1980’s with a tin of surplus ammo.
    My T.P. wheeling and dealing feedback is here.

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and it stinks more than mine.

Yo Homie, That my chainsaw ?

Witness Protection Reject rondog's Avatar

Damn, if I had the spare cash I'd be trying to talk you into selling it to me!
    There's a lot more of us ugly mf'ers out here than there are of you pretty people!

- Frank Zappa

Scrotum Diem - bag the day!

That's an M38. "Turkish Mauser". I owned one and traded it away a couple years ago. Here's a whole site about them: https://www.turkmauser.com/1938/

These used to be the cheapest Mausers around. Especially one shooting a viable cartridge that's still common enough to find any loads for. They were not desired much for collector value but they are a solid gun. I'd rather have a Mauser action than a Mosin action any day. And I kind of like the cock on closing function it has. It's certainly a little different feeling than the K98.

As for the value, you can ask whatever you want but you'll probably have to price it low to get anybody to want to buy it. Since there's better milsurp bolt action rifles out there for sub $500 (M48, Lee Enfield, etc) in my opinion you could get around $350 out of it pretty quickly. If you want more than that be prepared to keep it listed on Armslist or Gunbroker for quite a while. Or keep it. These are great shooting rifles and the 8MM Mauser cartridge is a pretty sweet one for deer or other similar sized game. I was able to get less than 3 MOA out of mine pretty easily and I'm sure if you practice with it and have decent / consistent ammo you could do a little better even. Nothing amazing for a modern sporting rifle but considering I was shooting surplus ammo from the 1950s in a rifle from almost 100 years ago I'll take it!

Witness Protection Reject rondog's Avatar

There's one on the wall at Casa Bonita. Damned if I can upload photos here anymore though.....
    There's a lot more of us ugly mf'ers out here than there are of you pretty people!

- Frank Zappa

Scrotum Diem - bag the day!