Close
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Quote Originally Posted by MrPrena View Post
    1. I raised my Elantra on a ramp to do oil change, and it was still very clear. I try to do every 8k, because filter said it lasts upto 10k. I know oil lasts about 12k.
    I am going to drive 1 more month and change the oil on that one.

2. I need to replace vacuum pump* and centrifuge (oil separator) on my mother's vehicle. It is leaking oil a little. Easy work. It now has about 139k and we only did basic maintenance on it.
    (we are debating about changing the entire vacuum pump or just do o-ring replacement)

3. Still shopping around the Throttle actuator (bank 1) to see who is cheapest.
    #2 & #3: diesels? These parts sound unfamiliar or mebbe ac parts
    USAF - 1989-2011

Grand Master Know It All MrPrena's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wyome View Post
    #2 & #3: diesels? These parts sound unfamiliar or mebbe ac parts
    All 3 are ICE.
    2 uses odd names. Centrifuge was a first for me on vehicle parts.

Possesses Antidote for "Cool" Gman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
    I think the rotted exhaust became less of a thing when most manufacturers switched to using stainless for the exhaust.
    I've even seen them go so far as to coat the inside of the stainless with aluminum. Exhaust rot really seems to be a problem of the past.
    "Be not intimidated...nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency.
    These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice."
    ― John Adams
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts."
    Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    I've even seen them go so far as to coat the inside of the stainless with aluminum. Exhaust rot really seems to be a problem of the past.
    Speaking of things from the past - I was looking at some old highway pictures and it occurred to me that the old "oil stain in the middle of the highway" is pretty much a thing of the past. Back in the 60's and 70's it was just taken as a "given" that all cars would drip a little oil and so the middle of the lane in the freeway always had a nice black, oily stain. The older the highway, the worse the stain.

Here's an example of what I mean:

tmg-default_lq.jpg

Now that cars have pretty much stopped leaking you don't see that anymore.
    Martin

"When I'm in command, EVERY mission is a suicide mission!" - Zapp Branigan, Democratic Order of Planets

Glock Armorer for sexual favors Jer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Martinjmpr View Post
    Speaking of things from the past - I was looking at some old highway pictures and it occurred to me that the old "oil stain in the middle of the highway" is pretty much a thing of the past. Back in the 60's and 70's it was just taken as a "given" that all cars would drip a little oil and so the middle of the lane in the freeway always had a nice black, oily stain. The older the highway, the worse the stain.

Here's an example of what I mean:

tmg-default_lq.jpg

Now that cars have pretty much stopped leaking you don't see that anymore.
    I actually thought of that yesterday when I pulled into a 7-Eleven to get an energy drink (since I don't "need" to go to gas stations anymore ;-) and in the parking spots were massive oil slicks and even degraded concrete as a result of the gross puddles people's cars leave. Granted the new cars are much better but another bonus to driving an EV is not worrying about leaks.
    I'm not fat, I'm tactically padded.
    Tactical Commander - Fast Action Response Team (F.A.R.T.)
    For my feedback Click Here.
    Click: For anyone with a dog or pets, please read