Close
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Maybe you should get better training or take a low light class if you think 500 lumens is too bright... Why are you blinding yourself in your own house, don’t you know where decoration are, or distance to white walls. If the answer is no I can’t remember maybe you shouldn’t be clearing your house. Most people don’t have the training to clear a house in the day let alone night, I certainly don’t!
    "Amat Victoria Curam"- victory loves preparation

Feedback https://www.ar-15.co/threads/50597-l...ghlight=lex137

Varmiteer

Quote Originally Posted by lex137 View Post
    Why are you blinding yourself in your own house, don’t you know where decoration are, or distance to white walls.
    I can see it now...

"Excuse me, Mr. Home Invader, I have this really bright flashlight I want to shine on you, but you are standing right next to my wife's full length mirror. Can you move over in front of this walnut paneling instead?"

Blog Entries

Walnut paneling? What is this? The 1970s?

People say nothing is impossible but I do nothing every day.
    My Feedback

I'm the OPie of this thread Irving's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you have a guy standing next to a mirror, and you shine a light in his face, and some light gets on the mirror and blinds you, why is he not also blinded in this scenario? Even more so since you were expecting it and he wasn't, not to mention you're looking at where you think he is, and not likely directly into the mirror.
    I'm mean and jerky

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Irving View Post
    If you have a guy standing next to a mirror, and you shine a light in his face, and some light gets on the mirror and blinds you, why is he not also blinded in this scenario? Even more so since you were expecting it and he wasn't, not to mention you're looking at where you think he is, and not likely directly into the mirror.
    Valid points.

I?m new to weapon lights on handguns so I?m really in the learning phase. I?m sure the guy looking directly into the light will be blinded more than the guy behind the trigger.

I have been experimenting on and off again with my setup so I?m figuring some things out. One of my first lessons was if you wake up in total darkness and your eyes are fully dilated and you suddenly introduce a bright source of light into your environment you will struggle to see anything for a second. You don?t have to have the light bouncing off mirrors or anything silly like that. It?s like waking up at two in the morning in total darkness and flipping on your bedroom light.

So far I?ve determined that popping the light on in a low ready position is much more tolerable than lighting up any sort of wall.

People say nothing is impossible but I do nothing every day.
    My Feedback

Varmiteer

Quote Originally Posted by Irving View Post
    I would prefer not to do something that could reduce my effectiveness on the chance that it also reduces the bad guy's effectiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by .455_Hunter View Post
    One really good thing you mentioned was "Put it in a pouch, even if it's in a pocket." with reference to reloads.

A few things I think could be improved:

Complete neglect of the "pocket carry" method used by a high percentage of carriers (both civilian and LEO).

500 lumens is too bright for nighttime indoor operations where you could be blinded by your own light reflecting off mirrors, windows, even white gloss walls.

OWB holsters with hammer retaining straps and exposed triggers are perfectly fine for hammered revolvers and hammered DA/SA autos carried fully decocked.
    This was info provide to folks carrying more in line with carrying while on duty. Pocket carry isn?t an option for said group. Totally a viable way to carry though in many other contexts.

As soon as fog, smoke, backlighting, or longer distances are introduced 500 lumens becomes too little. Proper training and usage of a bright light will negate any issues with self blinding.

If you consider a situation where the firearm might need to be re-holstered with the handgun placed in single action mode then the exposed trigger guard holsters goes off the table as an option. But I completely under where you are coming from.

Behind every blade of grass is a Threeper trying to get his budget AR-15 to work.

Quote Originally Posted by .455_Hunter View Post
    I would prefer not to do something that could reduce my effectiveness on the chance that it also reduces the bad guy's effectiveness.
    Take a bright light, shine it into a mirror and look into the reflected beam, then move the light to a different part of the wall without turning it off. Your eyes will be fine, you will not go blind.

Behind every blade of grass is a Threeper trying to get his budget AR-15 to work.