Close
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Irving View Post
    What is the TV watching angle? Is it that TV and Netflix make you vulnerable, or that trying to watch through a VPN is a pain and they make it easy?
    The flip side is that many services based outside(Sky Sports, Eurovision, Fox Central America) the US don't allow streaming to US IP addresses, Nord has servers in over 120 countries to get around those restrictions. It's really the only good way to get race coverage of anything other than Nascar.
    Light a fire for a man, and he'll be warm for a day, light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life...

Discussion is an exchange of intelligence. Argument is an exchange of
    ignorance. Ever found a liberal that you can have a discussion with?

ProtonVPN/ProtonMail is also a very good option for VPN and encrypted email services, definitely recommend checking out (especially for email if not a fan of big (evil) G mining your comms - they have one of the worst/most insidious privacy policies I've seen to date.

Moderator "Doctor" Grey TheGrey's Avatar

I second ProtonMail and ProtonVPN.
    "We have a blind date with Destiny...and she's ordered the lobster!" - The Shoveler, Mystery Men

Feedback for TheGrey

I'm the OPie of this thread Irving's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've yet to run into any issues (that I know about) with Gmail being invasive. I suppose if you forward mail from a ProtonMail account to Gmail it completely defeats the purpose? Glad to see more people with experience with these programs. Thank you.
    Gray would be the color, if I had a heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Irving View Post
    I've yet to run into any issues (that I know about) with Gmail being invasive. I suppose if you forward mail from a ProtonMail account to Gmail it completely defeats the purpose? Glad to see more people with experience with these programs. Thank you.
    That's just it - you won't know when it happens...

Just to give a brief example, let's compare this:

or this:

with this:

And just a single example (there are many others) to drive home the point of just how bad that statement from google is (despite looking good to the untrained eye) without a bunch of legal gobbledygook:

https://www.businessinsider.com/goog...report-2018-7/
    Last edited by DireWolf; 02-11-2019 at 00:12.

Blog Entries

Thanks for info.

Blog Entries

Just book marking this so I can read it later.

https://www.pcmag.com/feature/366323...n-google-drive

Grand Master Know It All CavSct1983's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
    That's just it - you won't know when it happens...
    Any insight on the meat of his question re: cross-contamination w/ non protonmail recipients?
    My Feedback
    "
    "The exception has become the rule, and that is the worst of all possible tyrannies."
    G.K. Chesterton, Illustrated London News, November 21, 1914"

So far as I know, protonmail is only encrypted if you are sending it to someone else who also is using a protonmail account.

If you send an email from PM to GMail, it's sent in the clear and Google can access the information.
    RATATATATATATATATATATABLAM

If there's nothing wrong with having to show an ID to buy a gun, there's nothing wrong with having to show an ID to vote.

For legal reasons, that's a joke.

^^^thanks for bumping this to remind me; had written up something last week during some in-flight down time, but ended up being way too much, so here's the condensed version:

Without taking any additional items/steps into consideration, mail sent from a ProtonMail account to a Gmail (or any other external/non-ProtonMail) address would only be encrypted while in-transit between mail-hosts (at best), and would still be stored in plain-text on the Google (or other provider) mail servers, fully available to them to access, mine/analyze, and/or disseminate your data within the sphere of those parties identified in the privacy policy (which is a damn large list).

ProtonMail uses OpenPGP to encrypt mailboxes and messages between ProtonMail users, with encryption/decryption through either the website, Mobile App, and/or ProtonMail Bridge (note that the messages retrieved through the Bridge are decrypted in local storage).

Also, they've exposed this functionality (and keyring management) to provide options for exchanging fully-encrypted email with external non-ProtonMail recipients - (e.g. Gmail, etc.); This allows for the message contents to be fully protected & unreadable even on remote servers (but watch out for those headers/subject-lines, which stay plaintext and are captured in any number of locations during message transit/processing).

All that's required for this is to simply create/associate a PGP Public Key with an address/contact, and PM will automatically encrypt all outbound email to that address (bidirectional encrypt/decrypt is seamless once Public Keys have been exchanged & verified; do not ever share a private key). Also, other than rules configured in a mail client, there is no native "auto-forwarding" capability in the PM service.

gpg4win is a good Windows/Outlook client bundle for creating and managing PGP Keyrings, and for "one-off's", PM has option for message encryption/expiration using OTPs.

Finally, be careful to (securely) store any keyrings & passphrases, or anything encrypted with such is toast should they be lost...
    Last edited by DireWolf; 03-06-2019 at 12:32.