Close
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Paintball Shooter

Default Palmetto KS-47 Gen 2 the Unholy Union

Any experience with the Palmetto Gen 2 KS-47? I know the gen 1s had some problems with reliability but it looks like they have taken the feedback into consideration and resolved the issues.

I'd specifically like to know about:
    • Accuracy (Both Good ammo and Com block)
    • Any actual data (not rule of thumb) on the 7.62X39 cartridge in terms of Barrel length IE: 16" vs 10 " barrels
    • Reliability of the Gen 2s

I am looking for a rifle that:
    • I can kill Hogs and possibly Deer (in Brush)
    • Shots at 100 yards and under
    • Often in thick cover
    • Works with the AK mags I already have
    • Will be thread compatible with the 30 Cal suppressor I already hunt with 5/8 -24

I think Robski on the AK4774OperatorsUnion youtube channel has a 5000 rnd endurance test video series on these. They seem to be holding up, time will tell.

Paintball Shooter

Thanks for the heads up. I will have to watch that this evening.

Grand Master Know It All SouthPaw's Avatar

They are RobSkit approved so far. Personally for the price, I'd pickup a WASR though.
    "But when it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark; and brother, it's startin' to rain."

Newbie, or Trading Post Troll

Personally, I wouldn't. Especially with the availability of WASRs out their. The above posts are correct, Robski did approve, but personally I'm not sold on the American AK concept yet. In my opinion, AKs should be made in former eastern bloc countries. Again, just an opinion. With a WASR you get just that. An important note, Robski has a WASR that made it through a 5000 round test with flying colors, but is also a loner gun in his class. The rifle probably has about 10,000+ rounds through it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJn6SYFbHSw. The 7.62x39 does fairly well with short barrels, i think 122-124 gr is still above 2000fps in 10 inch barrels.It relies more on mass for is efficacy. The 7.62x39, like most .30 cal intermediate cartridges, is very parabolic in its flight. With a 25 yard zero, you're looking at a 20 inch drop at 300 yds. Primary arms makes a nice acss scope that is ticked for the flight path, which I would recommend if hunting is your intention. If you are going to hunt with, I would not use steel cased fmj ammo. Hornady makes a nice hunting load in 7.62x39.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just for clarity, the KS47 is an AR-format rifle that takes AK mags.

PSA didn’t exactly do a stellar job supporting Gen1 owners, even on their official arfcom industry forum.

It does otherwise seem to be a great concept to me.
    9mm - because they don't make a 9.1mm

Quote Originally Posted by Not_A_Llama View Post
    Just for clarity, the KS47 is an AR-format rifle that takes AK mags.

PSA didn’t exactly do a stellar job supporting Gen1 owners, even on their official arfcom industry forum.

It does otherwise seem to be a great concept to me.
    Totally missed the “KS” part.. doh!

Paintball Shooter

I really like the weight, ergonomics and the ease of mounting optics of the AR and combining that with the ability to accept $5 mil-surp mags and cheap ammo makes it hard to resist. And being able to legally hunt medium sized game is a huge plus.

I have the 10" pistol version and I love it. Love the compact size, light weight, and AR feel of it. I don't have any real accuracy data for you since I have just been plinking with it around the property so far and not really sitting down at the bench but it seems pretty on par for the what I am used to out of that round. Haven't had any issues with running it both suppressed and unsuppressed (using a Silencerco Hybrid with ASR flash hider mount). I've run a variety of pmags and steel mags and they all worked so far.

So far I'm calling mine a winner and probably going to SBR it and get the brace off it.

KS-47-s.jpg

Paintball Shooter

Thanks mtnrider. I was waffling between the 16” and the 10” but I think the 10 is the way to go. I found a couple of instances where they chronographed the difference and it was much less than I had expected (around 13%).

I haven’t found a BBTI type comparison where they chrono at 1” intervals yet though.

I see yours gen 1 or gen 2?