Close
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Mazin View Post
    Supposedly bad powder has a sweet or sour smell to it (cant remember which).
    It smells acidic.

I’ve seen several pounds of bad powder, but it’s always been obviously bad. Most were in old metal tins in poor shape, but I had a new plastic bottle full of bad powder last year. Again though, you’ll know if it’s bad.

ETA - 10 years is a blip in the lifespan of modern powder. Don’t worry about it.
    Last edited by Little Dutch; 03-05-2019 at 07:39.
    Never complain; never explain.
    My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Irving View Post
    I'm shocked there haven't been at least three people offering to take all your bad powder off your hands. Times must be good right now.
    Helps when you can find what you need in stock at decent prices

Paintball Shooter

I read an article a bit back talking about certain powders, typically manufactured in ? not the greatest or stable? countries that was made out of spec and degrade over time. Essentially the grain breaks down into smaller pieces and makes it burn faster thus creating more pressure which may be dangerous in some actions. IIRC it was surplus 8mm Mauser made in a place that probably doesn?t have the same name. If it?s not that, you?re probably fine.

I have some U.S. made 30-06 from 1952 that shoots just fine.

Paintball Shooter

. . . Why is my punctuation not what I typed?

I'm the OPie of this thread Irving's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's recent issue with the board programming. Don't worry about it, most of us are used to it and know what you meant. It's when you use special characters on mobile devices.
    Gray would be the color, if I had a heart.

At least my tag is unmolested spqrzilla's Avatar

Years ago, I recall that this question was answered in Handloader magazine with the observation that there was a glass container with a century old sample of Bullseye powder stored under water that was occasionally sampled, dried out and shot with consistent results.

Powder that has been manufactured in good quality - properly washed of the acids used in its manufacture - and stored in decent conditions will last indefinitely. I had a large metal container of the very old WWII surplus Hodgdon 4831 that my father passed down to me and while it had a bit of an acrid odor, it shot well in the '90's when I finally used it up.
    Last edited by spqrzilla; 03-07-2019 at 20:48.
    "37. There is no 'overkill.' There is only 'open fire' and 'reload.'" 70 Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dutch View Post
    It smells acidic.

I’ve seen several pounds of bad powder, but it’s always been obviously bad. Most were in old metal tins in poor shape, but I had a new plastic bottle full of bad powder last year. Again though, you’ll know if it’s bad.

ETA - 10 years is a blip in the lifespan of modern powder. Don’t worry about it.
    Bam that's what I was looking for!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    كفّار
    My Feedback

Bullet Caster Of The Stars Zombie Steve's Avatar

I have some herco that was sold in paper cups back in the day... tastes the same as always.
    Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

I forgot to check. I may still have the new plastic bottled pound of "bad" powder. If I do, I'll get some photos or something up so everyone can see what it looks like.

I usually save that stuff, because worst case is that it still burns and is fun on the 4'th of July. You can use it to lay out a line of powder leading to the fuse of an M-60 fire cracker, for instance.
    Never complain; never explain.
    My Feedback