Close

Default Why Do You Own What You Own?

I'm having a slight existentialist crisis. Well, not really, I just never get to use that phrase. Anyway, I have a small collection of AR-15s, some built with a specific purpose, some just got built because those lowers in the safe were calling out. I've got a dedicated 3 gun AR in .223 Wylde, two 5.56mm pistols and two .300 BO pistols. I also have a bolt 6.5C for long distance play and a tricked out 10/22 for rimfire plinking. I somehow feel that this is a suboptimal mix of ARs and I'm trying to decide how to get a more optimal mix.

For those who owned multiple AR-15s before the canoe accident, what did you own and why?
    Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est

Sane person with a better sight picture

Blog Entries

Two is one and one is none, right?

For every AR I owned before the boating accident I had a twin for it. I guess my thought was once I got one set up the way I wanted and put enough rounds through it to satisfy me that it was trustworthy I didn?t want to wear it out or break it so I?d put together another identical one with the thought that I could ?train? with that one and save the other one in case it was ever needed.

Also, I rather enjoy putting the stupid things together and eventually you have an accumulation that you hadn?t anticipated. Once putting things in and out of the safe becomes like playing a game of Tetris the novelty of having so many of the darn things wears off. Some end up gifted to family members, some get parted out, and some just outright get sold off.

For whatever reason, the novelty of calibers other than 5.56 wears off for me quickly and those don?t tend to stay long. The only non-standard caliber I have in that platform right now is a 6.5 Grendel.

As far as other pre boating accident stuff, I could hunt anything that?s legal to hunt in North America if I wanted and could discreetly arm myself with something different every day for a couple of weeks or more.

I guess you could say I have just about any shot I?d want or need to take covered so I?ve started funneling money into some of my other hobbies.

In short, how many firearms does one man really need anyways?

People say nothing is impossible but I do nothing every day.
    My Feedback

Feelings, Nothing more than feelings KS63's Avatar

Every rifle I own is built for a purpose. As needs change, so does the equipment. You need to add a large frame LR308 to your collection.
    If the Odds are equal, you're doing it wrong

My Feedback: https://www.ar-15.co/threads/81619-KS63

The "Godfather" of COAR Great-Kazoo's Avatar

I own what there is because i'm

1: impulsive buyer

2: like different calibers (AR Platform)

3: like to build things (bolt actions)

4: Great Bartering items

5: with the ability to buy anything (w/out bgc) i can afford, with a simple call or text to a seller. I have increased my revolver collection by 3x

6: at this point in the game i buy what ever it is i think my daughter & s-i-l might like to own.

7: No matter how comfortable people are with a semi - R in office. It could all change overnight . literally.
    The Great Kazoo's Feedback

Ask Yourself: What's more terrifying? Fear or the Frightened .

WOODSMITH

Here are some categories. In some cases, the rifle can be the same with just an optic change.

Long range competition AR (think team matches like the CD Team Challenge)
    Mid range competition AR (think Hoser's Tactical Rifle Matches)
    Short range competition AR (Pistol caliber AR for USPSA)
    Defensive AR, Heavy (assumes I'm not carrying it very far)
    Defensive AR, Light (assumes I might carry it a very long way)
    Defensive AR, indoor (red dot rather than a scope)
    .22 LR trainer for Long Range AR
    .22 LR trainer for Short Range AR
    Large frame competition AR (direct replacement for a bolt gun in precision rifle comps)
    Large frame defensive AR
    Small frame AR's in "other" calibers for specific purposes

Then add back-up rifles for many of those. For big matches where I'm traveling, I'm taking the primary and a spare.
    "It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your ignorance"

Thomas Sowell

www.timkulincabinetry.com

See our reviews below:

http://www.thumbtack.com/Tim-Kulin-C...service/788419

I am my own action figure
    Blog Entries

Most of what I own is because I want them, not because of any real or perceived need. I got out of 300 BO because with the 9mm and 10mm PCC, I can do what I wanted to do with the 300 for less $ and fuss. The 3Gun and Precision ARs (in .223 Wylde) could all be neatly folded into 2 and there would be no deficit. With those 4, combine with a .22LR and a .308 pattern in 6, 6.5 or 7.62 and I could call it good other than wanting another.
    Good Shooting, MarkCO

www.CarbonArms.us
    www.crci.org

A. Want
    B. Need
    C. Because I can

Quote Originally Posted by Rucker61 View Post
    I'm having a slight existentialist crisis. Well, not really, I just never get to use that phrase. Anyway, I have a small collection of AR-15s, some built with a specific purpose, some just got built because those lowers in the safe were calling out. I've got a dedicated 3 gun AR in .223 Wylde, two 5.56mm pistols and two .300 BO pistols. I also have a bolt 6.5C for long distance play and a tricked out 10/22 for rimfire plinking. I somehow feel that this is a suboptimal mix of ARs and I'm trying to decide how to get a more optimal mix.

For those who owned multiple AR-15s before the canoe accident, what did you own and why?
    I had disposable income and let my wants drive my needs. They were all toys, I have never competed or hunted with an AR. It was also neat having such a large cartridge choice in what is essentially the same package; .22LR, pistol caliber carbines, 7.62x39, 308, 450 bushmaster, etc...
    Last edited by Little Dutch; 03-19-2019 at 18:46.
    Never complain; never explain.
    My Feedback

I quit collecting things I don't use. Unless it's grandpa's or I always wanted it, it soon turns into something useful. Just my $.02
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne-Gretzky View Post
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take

Thanks for the input, folks. Still working on my ideal mix.

Currently:

.223 Wylde 16" for 3 Gun, 1-6x scope.
    5.56mm 12.5" AR pistol, waiting on SBR stamp, 1-6x, scope, with suppressor QD.
    5.56mm 11.5" AR pistol, 1-4x scope, flash can
    .300 Blackout 10" AR pistol, red dot
    .300 Blackout 8.5" AR pistol, Law Tactical folder, suppressor QD.

I'm thinking I could let the 11.5" and 10" go, and get a long range scope with a QD mount to use the 3 Gun rifle for 600 yards, if I felt the need. I can't think of anything else I'd have the time to play with.
    Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est

Sane person with a better sight picture