Close
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Machine Gunner

Quote Originally Posted by fitterjohn View Post
    Low oil is probably the worst thing you could do to a turbo. If the turbo has been low on oil then the bearing will make noise and shortly after they make noise they let go, about the same time your engine is toast.
    Noise has been going on for 2 weeks or so. Think it would have lasted that long if that was the case? Given the online and here comments about turbo oil line, I'm wondering if that isn't the issue or just the timing chain. Guess if she does chain + oil lines we'll sorta find out assuming the turbo doesn't explode here shortly after the repair.

I'm the OPie of this thread Irving's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Should a timing chain be wearing out at only 100k? The one in my van is on 220k.
    Soy un Hombre y tengo un gran bigote

Machine Gunner

Quote Originally Posted by Irving View Post
    Should a timing chain be wearing out at only 100k? The one in my van is on 220k.
    Well I mean it is a POS nissan. Course if we replace, wife is against toyota for no reason other than it's "asian". Of course her family is blind Dodge fans no matter what statistics I show her. (She's wanting to go back to something bigger and I was pushing toyo offerings > a Ford etc)

Smells Like Carp

Did a quick search on Jukes and the timing chain is a major issue. The turbo is a issue. And if you have a CVT your sitting on a dead car running.
    You can count on replacing the timing chain and the Turbo then having the CVT go out.
    I like sex, drugs and automatic weapons. That's why i'm a dues paying member of the Libertarian party. Struggling to keep the government away from messing with the above.
    My Wife has her own vice.

I'm the OPie of this thread Irving's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fitz19d View Post
    Well I mean it is a POS nissan. Course if we replace, wife is against toyota for no reason other than it's "asian". Of course her family is blind Dodge fans no matter what statistics I show her. (She's wanting to go back to something bigger and I was pushing toyo offerings > a Ford etc)
    Hopefully you can educate her that not all cars, even within manufactures, let alone from different ones, are created equal.
    Soy un Hombre y tengo un gran bigote

Paper Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by earplug View Post
    Did a quick search on Jukes and the timing chain is a major issue. The turbo is a issue. And if you have a CVT your sitting on a dead car running.
    You can count on replacing the timing chain and the Turbo then having the CVT go out.

This sounds about right. I would get someone you trust to look at it. I'm no nissan expert, but I know that all the cvt's have had issues over the years. Can you pull the intake side off the turbo and see if the compressor wheel has any play? Or get said trustworthy person to?