Close
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
    I have just sent Colt an email and they or a young sounding gentelment said they all had SN's no matter how old! OK.
    a
    I believe they did all have serial numbers but they were not always unique between models. When you do a serial number search on a early 1900's you may have 10 possible matches. They did finally start using unique ones in the 30's perhaps I don't recall. The Police Positives can be hard to id as barrels were swapped routinely. Making it even difficult to determine caliber.

Paper Hunter

T. B. Turner, that my friend is a bingo! Exactly right, perfect with a slightly different set of grips. You guys, all of you are great and thanks so much. Still a mystery about the SN but hey... My dad fought in the Battle of the Bulge with his brothers William, Harce, Clyde and Dad or Harold. William didn't make it out. I'm thinking, did dad bring his side arm home? He even had an old pictures of a long rope strung out for what looked like 75 yards with horses tied to it nose to nose. He was infantryman if I remember correctly. Dad was born in 1919 and I'm thinking all this would line up with an Army pistol issued during these times would you not think?

Again, greatly appreciate giving this a real model I can positively identify with.

I placed two more pictures in the above link just after a Ballistol bath. It may be old but its solid and I would shoot it but don't think I'll chance it. 5 inch barrel on this weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by T. B. Turner View Post
    Could it be a blued version of this gun?
    Attachment 77664
    Last edited by Skywalker; 03-26-2019 at 14:47.

Paper Hunter

Played around with the note in Photoshop. Looks like 110588. Enter that in the Colt database and one of the hits is 1915 POLICE POSITIVE SPECIAL.

Paper Hunter

Without a mark on this gun from where a SN would have been I can only assume it does not have one and maybe it did at one time but don't feel this was ever a illegal thing going on. Maybe back then they didn't care to change something out and explains the SN written on the paper within the grips. I hope its not a problem for me to own my dads possible service weapon without a SN.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadElephant View Post
    a
    I believe they did all have serial numbers but they were not always unique between models. When you do a serial number search on a early 1900's you may have 10 possible matches. They did finally start using unique ones in the 30's perhaps I don't recall. The Police Positives can be hard to id as barrels were swapped routinely. Making it even difficult to determine caliber.
    Last edited by Skywalker; 03-26-2019 at 14:48.

Paper Hunter

So is the 110588 out of all those digits all that is required? That does pull up a 1915 POLICE POSITIVE SPECIAL. However, the picture posted by T.B. is exactly right. Appreciate the help and if you have a digital enhanced picture of that SN would you email it to me please?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtneer View Post
    Played around with the note in Photoshop. Looks like 110588. Enter that in the Colt database and one of the hits is 1915 POLICE POSITIVE SPECIAL.

Paper Hunter

Anyone have a lanyard loop for this gun and correct I'd really like to buy one now that we know what I have here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hummer View Post
    Interesting. I have a similar looking Police Positive. It is what I'd call a small frame, 4" barrel with hard rubber grips. I don't remember if it has a serial number, will have to dig it out of underground storage next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
    So your going underground! Ha
    Yea, there's no lakes on the property.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtneer View Post

That's pretty cool, you did good. I thought about trying Photoshop enhancement.... Still a mystery about the lack of a serial number. Maybe another one of Al Capone's.
    So far, so good....

Grand Master Know It All davsel's Avatar

I have a similar Colt Army Special
    The barrel is stamped Colt Army Special 32-20 WCF
    The serial number is on the crane and the frame under the crane
    I pulled the side plate, and the serial number is on the inside of the plate - may check there.

He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral. Why? Because anger looks to the good of justice. And if you can live amid injustice without anger, you are immoral as well as unjust. ~ Thomas Aquinas
    My Feedback

Gong Shooter

I am a Colt collector and can assure you many models of Colts have variants that don't have serial numbers. Keep in mind serial numbers were not required prior to 1968. While Colt rarely intentionally let guns leave the factory without serial numbers (even most of their prototypes are numbered) guns did leave the factory without serial numbers because:
    1) the frame may have been shipped as a replacement part. I have a very rare SAA from the 1880's that does not have a serial number. One of 25 known however it is well known among collectors that Colt shipped 200 SAA frames to the US Gov. as replacement parts.
    2) Some guns known as lunch box specials were, uh "borrowed" from the factory, assembled by employees prior to all markings being applied and smuggled out in their lunch boxes. There are many known 1911a1's that are Clearly Colts with no markings
    3) Factory errors. Even Colt made shipping mistakes
    4) Colt is known to have used virtually every part ever made (they were cheap bastards!) and at times when guns were needed took stuff from the parts bins or overrun parts that were stored for years to assemble and ship guns. Some of these are known to be lacking or having the wrong markings.
    5) And quite honestly the most common issue is that the gun was refinished and the serial number has been removed.

Regarding legality no serial number guns are 100% legal if made without the serial number. However its heavily frowned upon by the BATF to remove a serial number from a gun. Given the photos you posted I don't believe your gun has been refinished, but closer examination would be required to make a final call.

Bob
    Last edited by bczandm; 03-27-2019 at 07:00.

Blog Entries

Sorry, I didn?t read the whole thread.

In the original post you mentioned a 1926 patent date?

I wouldn?t think a firearm made in 1915 would have a 1926 patent date. Unless that date is on the barrel and maybe it was rebarreled at some point?

Just trying to learn a little here myself.

People say nothing is impossible but I do nothing every day.
    My Feedback