Close
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Paper Hunter

Bob, I really appreciate that and it helps with understanding the issue here. I suppose I would like to say this is the Army Special and I would love to think this was my dads service pistol and that would just be the best and time frame and period would fit IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by bczandm View Post
    I am a Colt collector and can assure you many models of Colts have variants that don't have serial numbers. Keep in mind serial numbers were not required prior to 1968. While Colt rarely intentionally let guns leave the factory without serial numbers (even most of their prototypes are numbered) guns did leave the factory without serial numbers because:
    1) the frame may have been shipped as a replacement part. I have a very rare SAA from the 1880's that does not have a serial number. One of 25 known however it is well known among collectors that Colt shipped 200 SAA frames to the US Gov. as replacement parts.
    2) Some guns known as lunch box specials were, uh "borrowed" from the factory, assembled by employees prior to all markings being applied and smuggled out in their lunch boxes. There are many known 1911a1's that are Clearly Colts with no markings
    3) Factory errors. Even Colt made shipping mistakes

4) Colt is known to have used virtually every part ever made (they were cheap bastards!) and at times when guns were needed took stuff from the parts bins or overrun parts that were stored for years to assemble and ship guns.
    5) And quite honestly the most common issue is that the gun was refinished and the serial number has been removed.

Regarding legality no serial number guns are 100% legal if made without the serial number. However its heavily frowned upon by the BATF to remove a serial number from a gun. Given the photos you posted I don't believe your gun has been refinished, but closer examination would be required to make a final call.

Bob

Paper Hunter

Thanks davsel and if I had this checked by a smith I would let them remove the sides and such.

Quote Originally Posted by davsel View Post
    I have a similar Colt Army Special
    The barrel is stamped Colt Army Special 32-20 WCF
    The serial number is on the crane and the frame under the crane
    I pulled the side plate, and the serial number is on the inside of the plate - may check there.

Paper Hunter

Ray, I don't think that the 1915 find is my pistol. Its a spot on identical with the Army Special and jpeg posted up by T.B. Turner a bit prior to the 1915 comment.

Quote Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
    Sorry, I didn?t read the whole thread.

In the original post you mentioned a 1926 patent date?

I wouldn?t think a firearm made in 1915 would have a 1926 patent date. Unless that date is on the barrel and maybe it was rebarreled at some point?

Just trying to learn a little here myself.
    Last edited by Skywalker; 03-26-2019 at 19:20.

Found another picture that is a close match.

colt commado 1942.jpg

Paper Hunter

Thanks T. B. I think the Army Special is spot on though.

Quote Originally Posted by T. B. Turner View Post
    Found another picture that is a close match.

colt commado 1942.jpg

I had the chance to dig out my old Colt. On the 3.5" barrel it is stamped Pocket Positive 32 Police CTG (so it's not a Police Positive). I'm not certain but I think this will fire both .32 Short Colt and .32 Long Colt. I'm not clear on the various .32 cal cartridges of the time. On top of the barrel is a patent date of July 4, 1905. A five digit serial number is stamped on the crane but not under the grips or anywhere else on the outside. From the Colt serial number database it was manufactured in 1913. It belonged to my grandfather who was born in 1889 and served in WWI.

I have two other revolvers of his, an H&R The American Double Action marked .32 S&W CTGF, and an H&R Young America Double Action marked 22 Rim Fire. The .22 will fire .22 short and .22 long. Both are nickle plated with octagonal barrels and both have serial numbers on the heel of the grip. I think these were made some time after 1905. I believe they originally sold new for about $2.97 and $4.97 respectively, cheap enough so that everyone in America could afford to carry a pocket pistol.

Thanks for this discussion. It's fun to delve into the history of old firearms.

Colt_Pocket_Positive 32 Police Ctg 1913.jpg
    So far, so good....

Machine Gunner

Sorry to bring this back but had an interesting discussion yesterday with a very long time Colt collector. He said Colt had so many police departments ordering the gun Colt renamed it in 1927 as the Official Police. Just a bit of possible trivia for a fine old revolver.

Confirmed with a phone call to Colt this morning.
    Last edited by Doc45; 04-23-2019 at 13:05.