Close
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Billy Jack Style Crotch Kicker buffalobo's Avatar

What is your firearm experience? Novice, regular shooter, hunting, competition?

Rays advice was spot on, Bowers, much to see and learn.
    Last edited by buffalobo; 04-20-2019 at 21:02.
    If you're unarmed, you are a victim

Feedback

The "Godfather" of COAR Great-Kazoo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPaw View Post
    Lowers with or without a stock do not classify how they are transferred. All lowers without a barreled upper receiver are transferred as frames/receivers regardless if they are setup to be intended as a pistol or rifle.
    Not according to vendors, like PSA. While they both say Must Be 21 to Purchase. The 1st link says it's sold as a pistol lower

. I know when working for a few FFL's. If the lower came in with a regular stock (before the whole KAK & SB) it was 4473'd as long gun. HOWEVER that has probably changed in the last few years.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...ower-gray.html
    Must be 21 or older to purchase.
    This complete Palmetto State Armory Pistol Lower with SB Tactical SBA3 Adjustable Brace is fully assembled and ready for your Pistol Upper!

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...165457977.html

This Complete Palmetto State Armory lower is fully assembled and ready for your complete Upper!
    Last edited by Great-Kazoo; 04-20-2019 at 21:17.
    The Great Kazoo's Feedback

Ask Yourself: What's more terrifying? Fear or the Frightened .

Grand Master Know It All SouthPaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Great-Kazoo View Post
    Not according to vendors, like PSA. While they both say Must Be 21 to Purchase. The 1st link says it's sold as a pistol lower

. I know when working for a few FFL's. If the lower came in with a regular stock (before the whole KAK & SB) it was 4473'd as long gun

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...ower-gray.html
    Must be 21 or older to purchase.
    This complete Palmetto State Armory Pistol Lower with SB Tactical SBA3 Adjustable Brace is fully assembled and ready for your Pistol Upper!

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...165457977.html

This Complete Palmetto State Armory lower is fully assembled and ready for your complete Upper!
    They can advertise any way they want but a lower, whether stripped, with a stock, or setup as a pistol is transferred as a receiver/frame. If it does not have a barreled receiver on it, it’s is not a rifle or pistol. They changed this ruling sometime ago hence why you have to be 21yo+ and cannot sell a lower to an out of state resident.

I just bought that exact lower last week and it came in on Friday, yeehaw!
    "But when it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark; and brother, it's startin' to rain."

Quote Originally Posted by theGinsue View Post
    NewToThis, with recent events in the news I feel compelled to say a few things that is likely on everyone else's mind.

You're 17 years old. This means you're likely still living at home with your parents, and probably still attending High School. Everyone on this site is passionate about firearms and our firearms rights, and we have no reason to believe that you are any different. But, due to your age, and recent news events, I must strongly urge you to ensure your parents are fully aware of your interest. This is especially true since you'll be needing to have this firearm in their home.

While everyone here understands the excitement in getting their first firearm, especially their first AR, don't let that excitement push you into any rushed decisions. Take your time and think it through. Consider how your sense of urgency might be viewed by someone who doesn't share the appreciation for AR's and other firearms like we do. Know that there is nothing in place or on the immediate horizon that will stop you from acquiring what you want when the time is right. Colorado now has Red Flag laws. A 17yo expressing too much enthusiasm for acquiring a firearm could quickly become very uncomfortable for said 17yo.

Think about it.
    I completely second this notion. No offense to Newtothis, but your original post comes off as fairly new to firearms in general and you are admittedly underage for buying firearms / still living at home unless imancipated or under some other extreme circumstance.

I would suggest to you that you have your parents or legal guardian go with you to a shop like Bowers and get some quality shop chat with the guys / gals there. You?ll leave with a much better mindset as to what your options are and what will work best for you.

MODERATORS, I highly suggest reviewing and closing this post due to the current political and media climate. I?d do my best Admiral Ackbar impression for everyone, but I can?t figure out how to upload video to this site.
    Last edited by MrAK; 04-20-2019 at 22:50.
    Ride Hard
    Shoot Straight
    Always Speak The Truth

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MrAK View Post
    MODERATORS, I highly suggest reviewing and closing this post due to the current political and media climate.
    The original post doesn?t come across as anything nefarious if you ask me. The post is well written and the young man who wrote it appears to be gathering information so that he can make a decision about a potential upcoming purchase in the near future once he is of legal age to make that purchase.

The internet wasn?t really the resource it is today back when I was his age but I can assure you I was anticipating my first firearms purchase when I was his age and was reading magazines and dreaming about what I wanted to buy when the time came.

I think it?s good to see interest in the sport from the younger generation. Let?s not discourage potential new shooters by shutting down their threads out of some weird fear unless there is an implied attempt at circumventing the legal process or using a firearm for illegal activities.

People say nothing is impossible but I do nothing every day.
    My Feedback

Ray, did you just assume OP's gender?

All kidding aside, I too had a fervent interest in firearms at a young age. I had a subscription to Guns & Ammo at 13 or 14. I keep hoping to find the box with all those old issues squirrelled away somewhere at my parents home, but they haven't surfaced even though neither of my parents remembers discarding them.

To the OP, I hope you have support/mentor from a parent, sibling or relative in your passion. I cherish the memories of bird hunting with my dad when i was young.

Welcome to the fold.

Sent from somewhere...
    Comply in public, Conduct in private.

FEEDBACK

COAR SpecOps Team Leader theGinsue's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Minimum age to purchase a complete AR-15 from a FFL dealer (nationally): 18.
    Minimum age to purchase a lower from a FFL dealer in any configuration (nationally): 21
    Private party transfers must be processed through a FFL dealer with the same age requirements (in Colorado), and both must be a resident of the same state (nationally).
    Legitimate gifts of a long gun can be received from parents, grandparents, siblings, or spouses at any age (in Colorado); however they must be a legitimate gift, e.g. your parents buy a gun for you for Christmas without your knowledge. *
    (and it would be wise for a giftor to be responsible for securing it until the giftee is age of majority)
    Legitimate gifts of a stripped lower can probably only be received if you are 18. **
    *Handing money off to a relative to buy it and "gift" it is not a gift, it is a straw purchase, which is a crime.
    **The age of possession for handguns in CO is actually 18, but they can only be acquired between 18-20 as a legitimate gift. I'm not aware if stripped lowers would be considered to have an age of possession, but it is quite wise to assume a court would interpret it so, especially after the federal requirements clamped down a few years ago.

As far as building or buying complete, at the age you are entering, you're probably going to have to buy.
    Ginsue - Admin
    Proud Infidel Since 1965

"Man does a lot better in hardship than he does in ease. He does a lot better in adversity than he does in luxury." - Anonymous WWII Veteran. ~Sep 2018

Ginsue's Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by buffalobo View Post
    What is your firearm experience? Novice, regular shooter, hunting, competition?

Rays advice was spot on, Bowers, much to see and learn.
    Regular shooter. Was a member at a gun range in Georgia where I shot just about any caliber and gun you can name. I've taken basic pistol and rifle as well as Tactical rifle l in addition to shooting with friends on private property in fun, yet competitive atmosphere. I'm generally familiar and comfortable with guns, just haven't gotten the fam on board with shelling out their own money to fund this hobby of mine.

Paper Hunter

Newtothis,

Great post. I think my dad bought "our" first AR when I was 16/17 years old.. Few guys here are too uptight. Everything in my dad's house was his until I moved out after 18. With your parents approval/help (parental supervision) I hope you can get into any appropriate hobby your heart desires.

Id say go Aero/PSA/Anderson in that order for a lower. or Matching PSA upper and lower because they have so many options.. I prefer to put money in the barrel, trigger and optic. Over the years you'll swap triggers, rails, optics... and the last thing would be a QUALITY barrel. If you skimp on the barrel from the start, you'll always question it (well I would anyway).

$519 PSA upper CHF 16 with Geissele MK14 rail.. https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...bcg-or-ch.html
    $339 PSA upper chf 16" standard m4 style....https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...ng-handle.html

Congrats on your upcoming birthday. Hope my suggestions are helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunoholic View Post
    Newtothis,

Great post. I think my dad bought "our" first AR when I was 16/17 years old.. Few guys here are too uptight. Everything in my dad's house was his until I moved out after 18. With your parents approval/help (parental supervision) I hope you can get into any appropriate hobby your heart desires.

Id say go Aero/PSA/Anderson in that order for a lower. or Matching PSA upper and lower because they have so many options.. I prefer to put money in the barrel, trigger and optic. Over the years you'll swap triggers, rails, optics... and the last thing would be a QUALITY barrel. If you skimp on the barrel from the start, you'll always question it (well I would anyway).

$519 PSA upper CHF 16 with Geissele MK14 rail.. https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...bcg-or-ch.html
    $339 PSA upper chf 16" standard m4 style....https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...ng-handle.html

Congrats on your upcoming birthday. Hope my suggestions are helpful.
    Thanks for the guidance, I'm definitely throwing all my money to the barrel and BCG as well as a solid trigger. Going to train with what will eventually be backup irons first to get a baseline for additional optics and magnifiers. Don't know if PSA still has their sale on, but their M4 style variant was discounted over $200, which would compensate for a drop-in trigger or something.
    Thanks again!