Close
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thinks Gravy Boats are SEXY ASF! izzy's Avatar

I just had to start the CCW process from scratch because I let my permit expire by mistake. My cert has a score on it where, at the time, I got 122 out of a possible 140 points. After all these years I kind of want to go back and retake the class just to get a better score. I wonder if they even still have the same test.

If I had a son he would look like....Ben SideShow Bob's Avatar

Anyone in Arapahoe.Co. recently renew with a post 10 year training that confirm or refute Wolf202’s statement. There is nothing in Arapahoe.Co. renewal application about this and I will be renewing in a few months with a just post 10 year cert.
    My T.P. wheeling and dealing feedback is here.

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and it stinks more than mine.

Yo Homie, That my chainsaw ?

High Power Shooter

I got my first permit out of Jeffco in 04 with my Army M9 qualification from the 99-02 timeframe as my "training". I just renewed in Boulder County and said I was still good. I have never let it lapse.

Most counties treat your unexpired permit as proof of training, though they're not required to by law. I took an NRA course just in case(because Why Not?), but was not asked for proof recently in Jeffco...
    Light a fire for a man, and he'll be warm for a day, light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life...

Discussion is an exchange of intelligence. Argument is an exchange of
    ignorance. Ever found a liberal that you can have a discussion with?

Over 20 years in Douglas county. No renewal here.

Grand Master Know It All

Quote Originally Posted by SideShow Bob View Post
    Anyone in Arapahoe.Co. recently renew with a post 10 year training that confirm or refute Wolf202’s statement. There is nothing in Arapahoe.Co. renewal application about this and I will be renewing in a few months with a just post 10 year cert.
    You can always just bring your scores from a local match just in case.

40X Mafia Member FromMyColdDeadHand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wulf202 View Post
    Actually it depends on the municipality issuing the permit. Arapahoe and Denver will not renew your permit if your training is more than 10 years old because they're dicks.

The law is ambiguous about this and they purposely play in the grey areas.
    It's not listed as a doc that you have to bring on the Denver website?
    I'll stop buying black rifles when my wife stops buying black shoes.

The "Godfather" of COAR Great-Kazoo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    It's not listed as a doc that you have to bring on the Denver website?
    CLEO discretion. Like initial application where the 90 days is maximum for being issued a permit. Some counties drag it out for 90, others issue when they have time.

Weld cty did the same, when the spouse reapplied a month past renewal time, 2 sheriffs ago..
    The Great Kazoo's Feedback

Ask Yourself: What's more terrifying? Fear or the Frightened .

Quote Originally Posted by SideShow Bob View Post
    Anyone in Arapahoe.Co. recently renew with a post 10 year training that confirm or refute Wolf202?s statement. There is nothing in Arapahoe.Co. renewal application about this and I will be renewing in a few months with a just post 10 year cert.
    I just renewed in Arapahoe a couple weeks ago with a 10yr+ cert. Nothing was mentioned at all.
    Last edited by crays; 05-14-2019 at 06:12.
    Comply in public, Conduct in private.

FEEDBACK

Machine Gunner

So, I went digging in the CRS to see if there's a way for to refute the "Within 10 year" requirement and unfortunately, I believe I found the opposite.

Key excerpts from CRS 18-12-203:

On original issuance:

(1) Beginning May 17, 2003, except as otherwise provided in this section, a sheriff shall issue a permit to carry a concealed handgun to an applicant who:

(1) (h) Demonstrates competence with a handgun by submitting:

(1) (h) (VI) A training certificate from a handgun training class obtained within the ten years preceding submittal of the application.

On reissue:

(3) (a) The sheriff shall deny, revoke, or refuse to renew a permit if an applicant or a permittee fails to meet one of the criteria listed in subsection (1) of this section...

Note that (3) (a) specifies "shall deny", not "may deny".

Bummer.

My suggestion: If it's been more than 10 years, grab your .22 and find yourself a steel match*. Then bring a copy of the results with you wehen you renew to satisfy (1) (h) with:

(1) (h) (I) Evidence of experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competitions or current military service;

O2

*In steel matches, .22s start from the bench, not holstered so anyone and everyone can play. May I recommend Hoser's Wednesday steel matches in Pueblo.
    When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
    They'll never take your "hunting rifle", they'll call it a "sniper rifle" first.
    Gun registration is gun confiscation in slow motion.
    Zero failures comes at infinite cost.
    You are the FIRST responder. Police, fire and medical are SECOND responders.