Close
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I'll try to double check the actual date of my cert, but I'm pretty sure it's over 10 yrs. I did renew about 6 weeks early last time, and about 8 weeks early this time (since I was going to be in the area of the sheriff's office during a weekday, which is unusual). I may have just snuck in under the wire, or maybe they are not enforcing (3) (a) above stringently.

I'd hate to give you a bum steer Bob.
    Comply in public, Conduct in private.

FEEDBACK

Quote Originally Posted by O2HeN2 View Post
    So, I went digging in the CRS to see if there's a way for to refute the "Within 10 year" requirement and unfortunately, I believe I found the opposite.

Key excerpts from CRS 18-12-203:

On original issuance:

(1) Beginning May 17, 2003, except as otherwise provided in this section, a sheriff shall issue a permit to carry a concealed handgun to an applicant who:

(1) (h) Demonstrates competence with a handgun by submitting:

(1) (h) (VI) A training certificate from a handgun training class obtained within the ten years preceding submittal of the application.

On reissue:

(3) (a) The sheriff shall deny, revoke, or refuse to renew a permit if an applicant or a permittee fails to meet one of the criteria listed in subsection (1) of this section...

Note that (3) (a) specifies "shall deny", not "may deny".

Bummer.

My suggestion: If it's been more than 10 years, grab your .22 and find yourself a steel match*. Then bring a copy of the results with you wehen you renew to satisfy (1) (h) with:

(1) (h) (I) Evidence of experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competitions or current military service;

O2

*In steel matches, .22s start from the bench, not holstered so anyone and everyone can play. May I recommend Hoser's Wednesday steel matches in Pueblo.
    Renewal is under a different one:

18-12-211. Renewal of permits
    (1) (a) Within one hundred twenty days prior to expiration of a permit, the permittee may obtain a renewal form from the sheriff of the county or city and county in which the permittee resides or from the sheriff of the county or city and county in which the permittee maintains a secondary residence or owns or leases real property used by the permittee in a business and renew the permit by submitting to the sheriff a completed renewal form, a notarized affidavit stating that the permittee remains qualified pursuant to the criteria specified in section 18-12-203 (1)(a) to (1)(g), and the required renewal fee not to exceed fifty dollars, as set by the sheriff pursuant to section 18-12-205 (5). The renewal form must meet the requirements specified in section 18-12-205 (1) for an application.
    (b) If the sheriff is not the same sheriff who issued the permit to the permittee:
    (I) The permittee shall submit to the renewing sheriff, in addition to the materials described in paragraph (a) of this subsection (1), a legible photocopy of the permit; and
    (II) The renewing sheriff shall contact the office of the sheriff who issued the permit and confirm that the issuing sheriff has not revoked or suspended the permit.
    (c) The sheriff shall verify pursuant to section 18-12-205 (4) that the permittee meets the criteria specified in section 18-12-203 (1)(a) to (1)(g) and is not a danger as described in section 18-12-203 (2) and shall either renew or deny the renewal of the permit in accordance with the provisions of section 18-12-206 (1). If the sheriff denies renewal of a permit, the permittee may seek a second review of the renewal application by the sheriff and may submit additional information for the record. The permittee may also seek judicial review as provided in section 18-12-207.

It appears that you do not need a training certification when renewing. as its section H:

(h) Demonstrates competence with a handgun by submitting:
    (I) Evidence of experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competitions or current military service;
    (II) Evidence that, at the time the application is submitted, the applicant is a certified instructor;
    (III) Proof of honorable discharge from a branch of the United States armed forces within the three years preceding submittal of the application;
    (IV) Proof of honorable discharge from a branch of the United States armed forces that reflects pistol qualifications obtained within the ten years preceding submittal of the application;
    (V) A certificate showing retirement from a Colorado law enforcement agency that reflects pistol qualifications obtained within the ten years preceding submittal of the application; or
    (VI) A training certificate from a handgun training class obtained within the ten years preceding submittal of the application. The applicant shall submit the original training certificate or a photocopy thereof that includes the original signature of the class instructor. To the extent permitted by section 18-12-202 (5), in obtaining a training certificate from a handgun training class, the applicant shall have discretion in selecting which handgun training class to complete.

(paraphrasing)

The renewing Sheriff's Office shall make the applicant jump through whatever hoop it so desires, regardless of actual black letter law. If the applicant objects, the renewal may be delayed or denied at the Office's discretion. See also DMV
    Light a fire for a man, and he'll be warm for a day, light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life...

Discussion is an exchange of intelligence. Argument is an exchange of
    ignorance. Ever found a liberal that you can have a discussion with?

Paper Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by crays View Post
    I just renewed in Arapahoe a couple weeks ago with a 10yr+ cert. Nothing was mentioned at all.
    Ditto for me, second renewal so my original training was probably more than 10 years ago (not by much). They didn't mention anything. Take an ID and your current CCW and they do everything when you are there (Arapahoe County). You do get a notice that if they find anything after you leave that they can revoke the CCW.

Quote Originally Posted by glenncal1 View Post
    Ditto for me, second renewal so my original training was probably more than 10 years ago (not by much). They didn't mention anything. Take an ID and your current CCW and they do everything when you are there (Arapahoe County). You do get a notice that if they find anything after you leave that they can revoke the CCW.
    Double checked my cert, as I stated I would. Well past 10yr mark. In and out in about 20 minutes, with new permit, no hassles.
    Comply in public, Conduct in private.

FEEDBACK

40X Mafia Member FromMyColdDeadHand's Avatar

Started filling out the forms and the Denver application has a section on the back about showing the different forms of meeting training. Pretty sure my training is over 10 years. Doesn't give a time limit on the participating in a shooting competition. Got plenty of those in the last ten years...
    I'll stop buying black rifles when my wife stops buying black shoes.

I'm the OPie of this thread Irving's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Started filling out the forms and the Denver application has a section on the back about showing the different forms of meeting training. Pretty sure my training is over 10 years. Doesn't give a time limit on the participating in a shooting competition. Got plenty of those in the last ten years...
    Not Denver, but my little brother just got his CCW in Jeffco. He didn't do any training, but just checked the "competition" box. They actually called him and said, "We don't know what this means." He told them, "Well, it's the FIRST option on the web application, so you better figure it out." He turned in his entire IDPA match score history and they gave him his CCW without any additional fuss
    Gray would be the color, if I had a heart.