Close
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Richard K View Post
    I can think of a number of better ways to spend 20 billion dollars!
    Seeing that the space program has had a better than 7:1 return ratio (i.e., every dollar spent on space science and technology, including Mercury/Gemini/Apollo, has returned at least $7), I'd like to hear your ideas if they can result in more than $140B return -- and that's not including the fact that ROI in federal revenues is necessarily a fraction of what it means for the private economy.

Going to the Moon up through Apollo 17 meant developing whole new technologies in computing, battery technology, remote operations, survival gear, fire suppression, etc. Going to the Moon permanently will require advances in remote medicine, nutrition, agriculture, survival equipment, water reuse, sensing, autonomous operations, etc. Think any of that is going to improve your standard of living or the way you do business?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Yeah, Walter Mondale felt the same way about Apollo.
    Yep, he could have wasted all that money on welfare and Medicare for all -- and just increased the demand and wastage. I told Democrats in the run-up to the 1984 elections that if Mondale had his way, the Challenger astronauts would still be alive and probably the Apollo 1 astronauts as well because Mondale would have shut down the space program in order to fund more urban decay and welfare fraud. I hope Mondale is having to argue daily with Grissom, Chaffee, White, Shepard, Glenn, Onizuka, Scobee, Kennedy, etc. over the worth of the space program and that Nixon is getting blowback for having shut Apollo down just when we were getting good at it.

We should have been at this a long time ago:

Fleeing Idaho to get IKEA Bailey Guns's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aloha_Shooter View Post
    Going to the Moon up through Apollo 17 meant developing whole new technologies in computing, battery technology, remote operations, survival gear, fire suppression, etc. Going to the Moon permanently will require advances in remote medicine, nutrition, agriculture, survival equipment, water reuse, sensing, autonomous operations, etc.
    And Tang. I learned about Tang thanks to the space program.
    Stella - my best girl ever.
    11/04/1994 - 12/23/2010

"America First!"
    This message brought to you by Donald Trump

- winning is more than wanting to
    - death is infinite patience
    - delete this

I'm the OPie of this thread Irving's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What's a "Gemen-ee?"

Blog Entries

"The trips are long."

I hate long Trips without Tang.
    11/04/1994 - 12/23/2010

"America First!"

Possesses Antidote for "Cool" Gman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGER View Post
    $20B is enough to run the entire US government...for about 4 hours and 42 minutes.
    They're constantly trying to improve on lowering that time.
    "Be not intimidated...nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency.
    These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice."
    ― John Adams
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts."
    Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Aloha_Shooter View Post
    Seeing that the space program has had a better than 7:1 return ratio (i.e., every dollar spent on space science and technology, including Mercury/Gemini/Apollo, has returned at least $7), I'd like to hear your ideas if they can result in more than $140B return -- and that's not including the fact that ROI in federal revenues is necessarily a fraction of what it means for the private economy.

Going to the Moon up through Apollo 17 meant developing whole new technologies in computing, battery technology, remote operations, survival gear, fire suppression, etc. Going to the Moon permanently will require advances in remote medicine, nutrition, agriculture, survival equipment, water reuse, sensing, autonomous operations, etc. Think any of that is going to improve your standard of living or the way you do business?

Yep, he could have wasted all that money on welfare and Medicare for all -- and just increased the demand and wastage. I told Democrats in the run-up to the 1984 elections that if Mondale had his way, the Challenger astronauts would still be alive and probably the Apollo 1 astronauts as well because Mondale would have shut down the space program in order to fund more urban decay and welfare fraud. I hope Mondale is having to argue daily with Grissom, Chaffee, White, Shepard, Glenn, Onizuka, Scobee, Kennedy, etc. over the worth of the space program and that Nixon is getting blowback for having shut Apollo down just when we were getting good at it.

We should have been at this a long time ago:
    +1

WTF happened. When I was a kid, that was a sure deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey Guns View Post
    And Tang. I learned about Tang thanks to the space program.
    What about Space Food Sticks?

Comply in public, Conduct in private.

FEEDBACK

https://www.foxnews.com/science/chri...-director-dead

Losing all the people that learned how to do it so we'll have to relearn a lot the hard way. The team at SpaceX has done a lot of amazing things and reenergized interest in space development but they also seem convinced there's nothing of value to learn from the past or from graybeards.

This man did as much as any of the astronauts to get us there and to make the trip worthwhile.

Blog Entries

A lot of knowledge died with that man.
    11/04/1994 - 12/23/2010

"America First!"