Close
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    The "Godfather" of COAR Great-Kazoo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Irving View Post
    How am I supposed to become the moon's first solar salesperson then?
    Perseverance and a very good sales pitch

I'd start by selling ice to eskimos. It's an already over saturated market, but you'll cut your teeth there. Plus it's easier to get home if you fail than being on the moon.
    The Great Kazoo's Feedback

Ask Yourself: What's more terrifying? Fear or the Frightened .

Grand Master Know It All BushMasterBoy's Avatar

I'd be happy if they had a high speed train from Pueblo to Colorado Springs and Denver. The drive is a bit nerve wracking.
    Per Ardua ad Astra

Grand Master Know It All CS1983's Avatar

I think we should do more deep sea exploration We know very little about our own planet.
    Feedback

"The exception has become the rule, and that is the worst of all possible tyrannies."
    G.K. Chesterton, Illustrated London News, November 21, 1914

I'm the OPie of this thread Irving's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It bugs the ever loving crap out of me when I hear the phrase "We know more about the moon than we do about our oceans." I don't understand what that means?
    If we listed all the things we know about our seas, and all the things we know about the moon, I'm confident that the list of things we know about the seas would be far, far longer. Anyone help me out with that?
    Minimize, minimize, minimize.

For one, we don't have to launch anything to the ocean floor. We just drop it. Two, there is a vast unexplored swath of the planet which might have some answers to questions or problems. Three, the potential for underwater dwelling has a lot of the same obstacles as other planets, so the ability to solve those problems "locally" before attempting elsewhere seems wise.
    Feedback

"The exception has become the rule, and that is the worst of all possible tyrannies."

Blog Entries

I don't accept the arguments of "We should do ______ instead." Why can't we do both?

I'm old enough to remember the excitement about the first Apollo missions, so I think this is a good thing. However where Apollo was a "let's do it to see if we can do it" type mission, I would hope a future mission would be more focused on what we can achieve that would benefit us in the future, too. Things like mining rare materials like Helium 3 that could potentially be used for energy production, other rare or esoteric materials that have potential to replace some of the minerals we use on earth, etc.
    Martin

"When I'm in command, EVERY mission is a suicide mission!" - Zapp Branigan, Democratic Order of Planets

Quote Originally Posted by Irving View Post
    I don't accept the arguments of "We should do ______ instead." Why can't we do both?
    *shrug*

Personally, I don't think .gov should be involved in any of it and it should be left to private industry. But if "necessary", I don't see the problem with proofing concepts locally before moving on to other avenues of approach.
    Feedback

Blog Entries

I'm not saying I disagree with exploring the oceans. Not at all. Also, I should clarify, you didn't say we should do that instead. One of the responses I saw on Twitter was "What about spending all those millions of dollars on cancer research?" Why not do both? I don't get it.

I'm super excited about the proposal for a manned return to the moon, and there are arguably a lot of really good reasons for doing so ranging from doing basic science, to market development, to national defense.

If we're ever going to look at spreading beyond Earth to other places like Mars, Ceres, the belt, or Bezos' proposed O'Neill colonies, then we will absolutely need to do a lot of basic learning, and the moon is the best place for doing so and it's imperative to establish the infrastructure for doing so.
    RATATATATATATATATATATABLAM

If there's nothing wrong with having to show an ID to buy a gun, there's nothing wrong with having to show an ID to vote.

For legal reasons, that's a joke.