Close
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    Thanks for that link. I think it confirms that I should be okay. But it sucks sweating such stupid stuff.
    It is written that fools rush in where wise men fear to tread - so ignorance is, or is an important component of, bliss.
    "The only real difference between the men and the boys, is the number and size, and cost of their toys."
    NRA Life, GOA Life, SAF Life, CSSA Life, NRA Certified Instructor Circuits' Feedback

Well I built it!

And in the meantime I've got my issue sorted but I'm little put off by Faxon's answer. They claim I need to pull a firing pin spring when using hard primer milspec ammo and replace it for commercial ammo. They said there's a risk of slam fire using commercial ammo without the spring.

None of this is in the manual or advised when I bought the upper.

That's easy enough to do, but the idea of having a gun that could slamfire with the right ammo/missing that little spring worries me.
    Always eat the vegans first

Blog Entries

Hmm. I?ve never had any spring on any of my AR firing pins. Ever. And I?ve never had a slam fire. Ever. I don?t think there?s enough mass in the firing pin to set off a primer without a hammer strike.

People say nothing is impossible but I do nothing every day.
    My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
    Hmm. I?ve never had any spring on any of my AR firing pins. Ever. And I?ve never had a slam fire. Ever. I don?t think there?s enough mass in the firing pin to set off a primer without a hammer strike.
    I want to challenge with this and try to get more info.

But in looking at the bolt carrier (which is totally different on the ARAK-21), there is a lot more firing pin travel in the carrier. I'm not sure if that means it's possible or not. Firing pin looks like a standard AR pin/weight.

Maybe it's on me to take some various commercial ammo out next time and see if I can make it happen? Without posting results?

But I can't get that gun to run with the spring in using M855 or M193.
    Always eat the vegans first

Blog Entries

My bad. I didn?t realize this was a non-standard platform. Had to look it up. It?s one of those things like if an AK and an AR had a baby.

People say nothing is impossible but I do nothing every day.
    My Feedback

If I had a son he would look like....Ben SideShow Bob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
    Do you have an AR-10 ? They (my Armalites) do.
    My T.P. wheeling and dealing feedback is here.

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and it stinks more than mine.

Yo Homie, That my chainsaw ?