Close
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by OxArt View Post
    Building off Skips point:

I wonder if our inner voice wouldn't speed up with that sixth sense? In other words, we have an inner voice that we "think" in that roughly paces at how fast we would talk IRL. For those that don't know, this inner voice is critical to our cognizance, and is based upon our understanding of our spoken language. Prior to them teaching deaf people ASL, they thought deaf people were retarded - they weren't adequately teaching them any language, so they had no inner voice to think within, and so in many ways, they were retarded prior to ASL. [so, fun fact, contrary to your inner voice, a deaf person more appropriately has inner hands ]
    You're getting to close to the completing beliefs that our consciousness is the human brain, or much more. With enough development anything material can be hacked but if you fall into the "soul" camp then there are boundaries.

NPC theory is also strange but interesting. I'm not saying I endorse it, just find the conversation/ideas interesting.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...s-inner-speech

Quote Originally Posted by OxArt View Post

This brings me to a point I didn't think of. Is our inner voice paced by our oral language? If we learned super fast telepathic communication, would our inner voice then be paced much faster and in the same medium?
    I think the answer is yes. I wasn't born saying "D'oh!" in my head.

In a theory of child development formulated by Lev Vygotsky, inner speech has a precursor in private speech (talking to oneself) at a young age.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_monologue

I think they're still struggling to understand this. If it's a function of childhood development then it doesn't explain why it occurs in the native language (often) and continues into adulthood. As vocabulary expands so does the voice.

So... Maybe certain people are born with it and others not (NPC)? I don't know.

Obvious difference between people who control the voice or not.
    Always eat the vegans first

I watched the Neuralink livestream a few days ago. What they are proposing to do seems achievable, and the technology clearly will have implications far beyond what they're proposing. In a lot of ways it's a demonstration of humanity's ability to innovate, and in other ways, it's like watching a monkey play with a loaded handgun.

I suggest everyone watch the video to get a decent baseline idea of what this is going to be about.

RATATATATATATATATATATABLAM

If there's nothing wrong with having to show an ID to buy a gun, there's nothing wrong with having to show an ID to vote.

For legal reasons, that's a joke.

Possesses Antidote for "Cool" Gman's Avatar

I think there's a reason that 'time' exists and not everything happens instantly. I also think that the human mind taking time to postulate and crunch things over is beneficial. This includes what takes place as we sleep.

The quantity of data and speed of processing by the human mind is amazing. The enemy of 'good' is 'better'.
    "Be not intimidated...nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency.
    These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice."
    ― John Adams
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts."
    Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    I watched the Neuralink livestream a few days ago. What they are proposing to do seems achievable, and the technology clearly will have implications far beyond what they're proposing. In a lot of ways it's a demonstration of humanity's ability to innovate, and in other ways, it's like watching a monkey play with a loaded handgun.

I suggest everyone watch the video to get a decent baseline idea of what this is going to be about.

[snip]
    Would like to watch it all, but it's 1:45 long.

Can you just upload this into my consciousness?

From skipping around I gather this is just hacking brain I/O. The stuff around accessing BMI is using/extending the brain's existing functionality. Brilliant and huge wins for disabled folks! Doesn't sound like altering consciousness though.
    Always eat the vegans first

It's not altering consciousness, at least not at this point, but they do talk about the importance of the device to handle both input and output. They also seemed to allude to the ability to record brain activity of someone while they do a task, and then being able to play that back at a later time.

So imagine if you had Jerry Miculek plugged into one of these things, you record his brain activity as he's running some shooting drills, and then have those patterns played back on your own device while you practice the same pattern of movement.
    RATATATATATATATATATATABLAM

If there's nothing wrong with having to show an ID to buy a gun, there's nothing wrong with having to show an ID to vote.

For legal reasons, that's a joke.

Correct, it is just I/O but the priority on that is communication and e.g. vision/auditory. All the problems discussed applied to that kind of I/O, and it does alter cognizance in yet unidentified ways (but the inner voice, as previously mentioned, being one). I think it's a mistake to conflate "consciousness" with "soul", btw. If the latter exists, it exists independently of consciousness, which is a readily apparent state and people can be made unconcious with properly planted electrodes, unaware that there is any gap in their consciousness when the electrodes are stimulated. From the external perspective, they become catatonic mid-sentence while the electrodes are stimulated, and resume their sentence when they are inactivated. From the internal perspective, there's not a lot of awareness that they were unconscious. So that is indeed brain processes, but that doesn't foreclose on "soul". For the record, I think pretty much every cognizant person has an inner voice, even if they don't recognize that they have one [and it does occur in many forms]. The lack of an inner voice leads to symptoms of retardation. [E.g. deaf people pre ASL]

Consider that (for the most part) there exists no natural output from the brain, save only for muscular control, which has little meaning even if analyzed. So the input side of this is big, but the output side is BIGGER.

An understanding of computers and psychology is critical here. If police (or a foreign nation) brings you in to question you today, and you do not wish to answer, your ability to physically speak can be suppressed by many, many muscle groups. You can hold your breath to prevent air from passing your vocal cords even if you want to scream. You can clench your teeth and your lips, and hold your tongue. Your speech processes are disconnected enough from your brain that you can elect to talk, or not, regardless of what duress you are under. You can elect to tell the truth, or a lie, or stay silent.

Now, introduce this. Your neurons which translate impulses from the lace interface, can also do the reverse, and if your neurons are activated (simply by thought) they run on the same patterns that will produce an output. And that output will be relatively consistent with the format that lace uses for input - because your brain is the great translator here. When your brain learns to understand the input, it's also processing in a way that will invoke the output.

So, now your government or a foreign nation can just plug into you.... or more likely, wirelessly connect to you. Do you harbor any anti-government sentiments? You no longer have the option to stay quiet. Do you hold any negative opinions of the ruling class? Do you hold any negative opinions of the nation of Islam? Do you have knowledge of any classified material?

On top of that, big data (e.g. google equivilant) can be subpoenaed to produce a data trail of essentially your thoughts. We're not talking what search queries you typed into a computer, we're talking about everything you happened to wonder about while your mind is wandering. Everything.

The marketing of these to the consumer public guarantees the mass utlization, because they have such and advantage - just a few people using them will require anyone desiring to compete economically, socially, or commercially to also have them. They harken the end of society and are a dawn of a new one - one without freedom, individuality, privacy, or diversity of thought. It's not without it's advantages.

Despite the presumed fear of this tech, I expect it will be adopted en mass. Case in point: Amazon Echo, Google, etc. People know they are being recorded 24/7, have no idea what's happening with the data, but even "Luddites" don't care, because it's a hell of a party trick to ask "Alexia, why do farts stink" and keeps everyone entertained.

How does lace fair against that?