Close
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default IFAK - first aid kit

I should have a IFAK or 2 for the cars and my son and I.
    I've never built one, used one, or taken a class.
    This will probably be stored in the cars and then then taken during hunting season and fishing / hiking trips.
    I seriously doubt I'll ever have to deal with a gunshot wound, but I don't want to totally discount that possibility. Mostly I worry about someone getting laid open with a knife gutting an animal or falling.
    I'm mostly interested in just stopping the bleeding, should it ever happen.
    I was thinking a small pack, quickclot, the ability to stitch up a wound, tape, gauze...
    Should I buy a premade IFAK or make my own? Any thoughts on what I really should have in the pack?
    Really any thoughts or insight into what to have would be awesome.
    And does anywhere around Denver stock IFAK's?
    Last edited by Robb; 07-21-2019 at 20:40.

Build your own. You've already identified your skill level on this, which is most of the battle. Tons of the IFAK/"Tactical first aid" kits up for sale contain a lot of unnecessary (for most of us) stuff that adds bulk. You don't need a lot of the stuff you don't know how to use, and you don't want to be messing with all the airway shit even if you've got some idea what you're doing on it, much less if you don't. I'd say at a minimum a CAT/similar tourniquet, the bandages of your choice (I had a lot of the Israeli bandages kicking around so I used those), some of the quick clot gauze, shears, tape, and lighting. Beyond that some smaller bandaids for the everyday scrapes, some ibuprofen and Imodium, and an ankle brace are nice to have (though with tape this is easy enough to do if you had to). I had a couple of injuries not too long ago that would have been real shitty if I was more than 7-8 miles from the car, and it got me to buy a Garmin Inreach Mini. That or another PLB to get help to you if you/your friend was really badly hurt is also worth looking into if you have the spare cash on hand.

Unless you're good stitching up wounds I wouldn't bother with that, this is a get your ass out thing rather than a make it ok for next week thing.

Look up posts by member cmailliard.. he runs tactical combat casualty care classes around town, great class. IFAK aren’t just for gunfights, as seen in videos in his class a simple mountain biking crash can cause a femoral artery to be severed and without a tourniquet on hand can turn into a fatality pretty quick. He aslo sells some pre packaged kits with the necessities.
    Last edited by def90; 07-21-2019 at 21:03.

I'm the OPie of this thread Irving's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's not a bad idea. One year a buddy and I were clearing the trail for a cow elk we had on a game cart. We were pushing on a fallen aspen or something, laughing, and when it snapped and we hit the ground, I saw his face change. While I fell harmlessly to the ground, he fell onto a small tree that had broken off standing straight up and stabbed himself in the throat. Fortunately, it turned out to be relatively minor, but it gave the whole party a fright, especially him. After hours of dragging this game cart, I had just left my bag at the last place we rested a couple hundred yards away and had to jog back to get it. At 9-10,000 ft, it was rough. Anyway, what Waffles said above is basically what I have. The bag I have it in is kind of bulky and probably weighs 50% of what is actually in the bag, so be mindful of space and weight. I don't know about you, but what I start with in my bag every year, and what I end with every year is different, and I'll never take out the IFAK kit.
    Minimize, minimize, minimize.

Blog Entries

If I can piggy back on this thread, I?m looking for a bag to put a kit together for my truck. I already have all of the supplies I want but just need an easily identifiable soft side bag to put everything in.

If anyone has suggestions or links I would appreciate it.

People say nothing is impossible but I do nothing every day.
    My Feedback

Pro tip: Go down the baking isle of your local grocery store. They have small little tiny tubes of cake icing. Put that in your kit. It's pretty much pure glucose and you'd be surprised how often diabetic events (or suspect) can crop up. Remember: If you don't know if they are hypo or hyper, just give them sugar and see if they improve. Too much sugar... more of a long term problem. Too little... kill you dead right now.

I'm the OPie of this thread Irving's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
    If I can piggy back on this thread, I?m looking for a bag to put a kit together for my truck. I already have all of the supplies I want but just need an easily identifiable soft side bag to put everything in.

Another member on here has a molle thing that goes on the back of his front seat. He has a couple bags attached here and there and the IFAK kit is velcro'd on so it can quickly and easily be ripped off. I like that idea and am probably going to steal it.

I have a tourniquet in my work tool belt. On one hand it seems silly, but on the other hand I have actually sliced myself open on a roof before, and the actual weight and space a tourniquet takes up (almost none) makes it dumb not to carry. I have it in the same pocket that I have my metal gauge in, so I'm always reminded of it before I get up onto a metal roof, which is where I'm most likely to get cut anyway.
    Minimize, minimize, minimize.

Skinny medic on you tube has a very good channel. He does demo's of the stuff he sells. His stuff seems very reasonably priced. I got one of his pre made kits and some other stuff to make a kit that I think would serve me well if I ever have to use it.
    Don't be stupid!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post

Most everything listed is pretty small, my car kit rides in a gallon ziplock taped under the seat, just to keep it out of view. If you want a more purpose built version, look for empty military IFAK pouches, the ACU ones I'm familiar with usually have an insert with all manner of elastic loops to hold shit that's tethered to the main bag.

For cuts, stuff maybe requiring stitches but not so deep you would normally pack, I recommend adding wound closure strips/butterfly strips/steri-strips and dermabond (have to control bleeding first to use on a clean cut) to your kits.
    My Feedback

Originally Posted by TFOGGER : Liberals only want things to be "fair and just" if it benefits them.
    Originally posted by Zundfolge: The left only supports two "rights"; Buggery and Infanticide.
    Originally posted by roberth: List of things Government does best; 1. Steal your money 2. Steal your time 3. Waste the money they stole from you. 4. Waste your time making you ask permission for things you have a natural right to own.