Close
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Greenland, the new U.S. Alaska?

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog...us_alaska.html

The United States? interest in Greenland is not new. In 1867, Secretary of State William Seward, then of the Andrew Johnson administration, showed interest in purchasing Greenland and Iceland from Denmark. He also negotiated the Alaska Purchase with the Russian Empire for $7.2 million, which was finalized on March 30, 1867. Seward was an ardent expansionist. In the summer of the same year, he was negotiating with Denmark for the acquisition of St. Thomas and St. John (of today's U.S. Virgin Islands), but the treaty, although agreed, was never effected. When it was finalized in January 1917, the selling price was $25 million (the equivalent to $575.61 million in 2018 dollars). In March 1917, the United States took possession of the islands.
    There might be also other reasons. For instance, the reason to want total dominion over Greenland in order to gain the power to exclude China. China has also expressed interest in the island for an Atlantic base that would put it on America?s and Europe?s doorstep. However, in 2017, Denmark blocked a Chinese attempt to buy an abandoned naval base there, but the Chinese mining interests in the area are expanding. China plays a long game and its interest in the Arctic region is notorious.
    I like the idea.

We are printing enough fake money, we might as well buy something valuable with it.
    Please leave any relevant feedback here:
    Sawin - Feedback thread.

Grand Master Know It All BushMasterBoy's Avatar

I think we should just take it. Like Russia did Crimea. Nobody will fight us over it. What would Leif Ericson do?
    Per Ardua ad Astra

Can we trade California for Greenland?
    RATATATATATATATATATATABLAM

If there's nothing wrong with having to show an ID to buy a gun, there's nothing wrong with having to show an ID to vote.

For legal reasons, that's a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Can we trade California for Greenland?
    +3000

I want to invest heavily in land there exactly 300 feet above the coast. I've been told it'll be a tropical paradise in under 12 years, with a white sandy beach and palm trees. Surely they wouldn't have exaggerated any facts.

Grand Master Know It All MrPrena's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sawin View Post
    We are printing enough fake money, we might as well buy something valuable with it.
    +1

I hope Trump buys it,
    All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break em for no one.

My Feedback

I'm the OPie of this thread Irving's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's an exciting thing to think about, but I feel like doing something just to have a "legacy" is dumb.
    Minimize, minimize, minimize.

Possesses Antidote for "Cool" Gman's Avatar

Can you imagine the butt-hurt from Puerto Rico if the US did acquire Greenland as a state?
    "Be not intimidated...nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency.
    These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice."
    ― John Adams
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts."
    Winston Churchill