Close
    Paper Hunter

Default NFA Trust/Silencer Questions

Hey all! I?m taking the plunge on my first silencer this month and just had a few questions for you guys with NFA Trusts. I set up a trust with Silencer Shop and in the forms there is one included that states the trust has to be registered with the state of Colorado. Where does this form go to? I?ve done some googling and haven?t come up with anything yet.

Also, since there aren?t any items in the trust yet...the trust was set up with a transfer of one US Dollar into the trust. Does this $1 need to be on the schedule? Or just kept with the original paperwork?

It seems like the the Silencer Shop kiosk process is going to be generally painless...but there are just some questions I can?t quite find the answers to. Thanks in advance!

My trusts are notarized, but not registered with the state in any way.

I can't answer the other questions. Good luck!
    Never complain; never explain.
    My Feedback

Recognized as needing a lap dance

Quote Originally Posted by esizer View Post
    Hey all! I?m taking the plunge on my first silencer this month and just had a few questions for you guys with NFA Trusts. I set up a trust with Silencer Shop and in the forms there is one included that states the trust has to be registered with the state of Colorado. Where does this form go to? I?ve done some googling and haven?t come up with anything yet.

Also, since there aren?t any items in the trust yet...the trust was set up with a transfer of one US Dollar into the trust. Does this $1 need to be on the schedule? Or just kept with the original paperwork?

It seems like the the Silencer Shop kiosk process is going to be generally painless...but there are just some questions I can?t quite find the answers to. Thanks in advance!
    my $1 is on my schedule and has remained on it with the purchase of four NFA items and have left it on all future variants. The way I looked at it was like the other NFA items, once on there I didn't want to remove it unless transferred. It may not matter, but I felt it was cleaner. Supposedly it's helpful for potential legal purposes if you register with the state, but like Little Dutch, I haven't registered my trust with the state.

Paper Hunter

Thanks all!

At least my tag is unmolested spqrzilla's Avatar

Until the beginning of this year, it was Colorado law that trusts had to be registered with the district court in the county where the trust had situs once the trust became irrevocable. CRS 15-16-101 et seq.

However, that section is repealed as of January of this year with the adoption of the Uniform Trust Code. Now the applicable section is CRS 15-5-205 which says roughly the same thing. JDF 732 is the form and its filed in the district court. The current filing fee is $198

If you do not know if your trust is irrevocable .... well, here we have one of the problems with using a trust. Understanding its terms.
    Last edited by spqrzilla; 08-21-2019 at 23:29.
    "37. There is no 'overkill.' There is only 'open fire' and 'reload.'" 70 Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

Paper Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by spqrzilla View Post
    Until the beginning of this year, it was Colorado law that trusts had to be registered with the district court in the county where the trust had situs once the trust became irrevocable. CRS 15-16-101 et seq.

However, that section is repealed as of January of this year with the adoption of the Uniform Trust Code. Now the applicable section is CRS 15-5-205 which says roughly the same thing. JDF 732 is the form and its filed in the district court. The current filing fee is $198

If you do not know if your trust is irrevocable .... well, here we have one of the problems with using a trust. Understanding its terms.
    Mine is a revocable living trust.